Apple & Pepsi?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, it would help with exposure, that's for sure. At least Pepsi will do some advertising.

US: Pepsi in Apple music deal - report

Drink different... think different...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    And already the posts over at Macrumors imply that Apple is "selling out." They are a company. They. Sell. Things. Any means to get the word out, the profit margins greater and the stock price higher.

Unless of course Britney shows up on stage with Steve. That would be bad.

...very bad.

Screed ...Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger! No Coke, Pepsi.

Edit: And of course I meant Ms. Spears and not Ms. Murphy.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Drink Pepsi! Get free Britney!

I'm suddenly feeling underwhelmed. \

I wonder if Pepsi will promote anyone that I would care to listen to. I foresee lots of bubble gum and rap. Might be better if you can get credit to buy any music you like.

Then again, I only drink Diet Pepsi when I can't get (a) sparkling mineral water, or (b) Diet Coke.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

...Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger! No Coke, Pepsi.

thuh Freak smiles contentedly at the old ehs enn elle joke.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    This is awesome and great way to get people to go there and sign up, get used it it and continue to download. Though I prefer coke

I wouldn't mind if brittney appeared on stage with jobs...together they'd have brains AND looks.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I wouldn't mind if brittney appeared on stage with jobs...together they'd have brains AND looks.

Just, please, dear God, no Britney/Steve kiss, okay?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x I wouldn't mind if brittney appeared on stage with jobs...together they'd have brains AND looks.

Steve's not that good-looking. Oh wait...

• Reply 7 of 18
    pepsi sucks coke is better
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

pepsi sucks coke is better

That's all very well, and I don't disagree, but the fact of the matter is that Pepsi wanted to do the deal and are prepared to fund it as a self-liquidating proposition and Apple were willing - unsurprisingly - to play along.

100 million bottles will probably only result in around 10 million redemptions, which probably gets paid for by a fraction of the income from 300 million bottles - how much is a bottle of Pepsi in the US?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I actually drink both.....depending what's available at the spot
  • Reply 10 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

100 million bottles will probably only result in around 10 million redemptions, which probably gets paid for by a fraction of the income from 300 million bottles - how much is a bottle of Pepsi in the US?

Depends on the size of the bottle and where you buy it, but 99 cents is a decent average, I think.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    pepsi dumped britney for beyoncé, jees where you hosers been?

i'm own coke stock, i drink diet coke like crazy, i'll switch. (edit: only during the promotion)
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Back to the original subject:

Does anyone else think that it sucks that we have to wait until February for this promotion? I was all pumped to go out and buy some Pepsi to try to get some free songs but I didn't think I would have to wait this long. Plus, I think it would have been good for this promotion to happen now or soon so that Windows users could try out the music store for free and hopefully stay on once the promotion ended... I think Apple should have bumped this up much earlier... just my 2 cents
  • Reply 13 of 18
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Well, I know that I am buying Pepsi from February 1 to March 31.

And an ad blitz during the super bowl to promote it? This is going to be huge. We are not going to be able to escape the ads.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    As will I. I love Pepsi anyway, now I'll just have to drink 10x more of it.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    yup, I'll just have to start drinking pepsi... want... free.... songs...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Make it DIET pepsi people. If we're going to be drinking gallons of the stuff, no sugar.

Just weird chemicals, in increasingly hallucinogenic concentrations.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Perhaps the Pepsi deal isnt on till February because they are waiting for iTMS EUROPE/JAPAN/REST OF THE WORLD to kick in first. 100 Million Pepsi's is a lotta bubbles.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ironchef82

Back to the original subject:

Does anyone else think that it sucks that we have to wait until February for this promotion? I was all pumped to go out and buy some Pepsi to try to get some free songs but I didn't think I would have to wait this long. Plus, I think it would have been good for this promotion to happen now or soon so that Windows users could try out the music store for free and hopefully stay on once the promotion ended... I think Apple should have bumped this up much earlier... just my 2 cents

Obviously someone could be pipe up and tell me I'm wrong, but as I used to work for a sales promotion agency I can give you some feedback on how these deals work.

The most traditional scenario is that the brand carrying the promotion dictates the timing and carries the cost, however most projects are designed as 'self-liquidating propositions' (or SLPs) with the projected redemption rate (i.e. the number of people likely to take up the offer) built in to the cost equations for running the campaign including special packaging, advertising etc.

Pepsi (or indeed Coke) have established programmes for the holiday season (remmber, Coke has two main TV spots for the season - which I call 'Polar Bears' and 'Convoy') and - believe it or not - will already have started to stock the distribution channel for Thanksgiving. In either case, people are going to buy soft drinks at this time of year and neither brand needs to stimulate sales but merely remind consumers of their brand loyalties.

Post-New Year the buying landscape changes and Pepsi knows that it needs to reclaim share against Coke, hence its continuous programme of involvment with 'fashionable' music artists.

In reality though, the timing does work to Apple's benefit - it gives them four months to maximise the penetration of iPod and iTunes into the market and four months to further expand the range of content available , all of which helps should help to increase the rate of redemption once the promotion kicks off.

As likely as not, Apple may well now ride the coat tails of whatever advertising Pepsi runs for Superbowl, and may well contribute to the production and airtime costs for either more spots and/or a longer commercial. Let's not forget that next Superbowl is the twentieth anniversary of the notorious '1984' commercial, and there is a strong possibility that iMac may well go G5 at MWSF 04.