Made me think of how much I love you...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A little something tailor made for AO...

Micheal Moore Hates America!

I hope this is real, it deserves to be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Bullshit. Quite upsetting even. The kneejerk reaction (not even naming sides here) that USpuddlians have of late: anyone who doesn't walk in line hates the frigging US of frigginger A. What good's that gonna bring ya? Have we not all studied Hegel?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I hope so too. I've always been a fan of people making asses of themselves.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Michael Moore hating America? I wonder who's funding this?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Where do I send my check?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I hope so too. I've always been a fan of people making asses of themselves.

I'm sure you like Micheal Moore then. With his fictitious documentary from a fictitious director with a fictitious academy award.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm sure you like Micheal Moore then. With his fictitious documentary from a fictitious director with a fictitious academy award.

He won the Academy Award for Best Documentary. That confers some kind of legitimacy at least. What are you talking about?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Now I like Micheal Moore, I think he's full of himself, but he's fun. Do I want to trust him for factual info? iDunno, it seems the man takes some liberties with the facts and the schemas in which he presents them. Bowling for Columbine was great, but was it a documentary, or something else? It might be easier to first agree that it was propaganda, and then that it was interesting or stimulating, or even fun (depending on how seriously you take hollywood, your gun rights, yourself...)

There is a bit of a sense that other people making "documentaries" got robbed. Did Moore color outside the lines too much? Or was his effort an avant gaarde challenge of the documentary form/audience?

As for Micheal Moore Hates America, the title at least seems firmly tounge in cheek, and the other side of the propaganda war deserves at least as much attention. It made me laugh, so if they guy can make it entertaining, there's little reason for me to like it any less that Bowling for Columbine.

Open minds people, it's entertainment first, whatever else it may be second.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

He won the Academy Award for Best Documentary. That confers some kind of legitimacy at least. What are you talking about?

No It doesn't.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Have you actually read these debunkers articles? Pure BS. Look at this (my emphasis):

Quote:

The distortions begin with the film's title. Lyons reports that, contrary to the title of the film, the two boys who committed the massacre at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., did not bowl the morning before the shooting. Although early news reports did state that they had attended a bowling class in the morning, police told Lyons it's simply not true.

This guy obviously got confused and went to see a film called Those Involved in the Columbine School Shooting Went Bowling on the Morning of the Tradgedy wherease everyone else went to see Bowling for Columbine, a film which interviewed the classmates of the killers about the school bowling class they were in together.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Bowling for Columbine was great, but was it a documentary, or something else? It might be easier to first agree that it was propaganda, and then that it was interesting or stimulating, or even fun (depending on how seriously you take hollywood, your gun rights, yourself...)

There is a bit of a sense that other people making "documentaries" got robbed.

Please don't go there, I've read enough of your posts to know that the idea of documentary == Truth is beneath you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentaries

If it was propaganda, it is still a documentary.

If it was edited with a certain viewpoint (which is impossible not to do) it is still a documentary.

If it disagrees with what you think is 'true' it is still a documentary.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Is it okay if I just hate MM? Just checking.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Please don't go there, I've read enough of your posts to know that the idea of documentary == Truth is beneath you.

Wha? Absolutely not. Did Moore piss off a lot of people? Yes. Is that part of the motivation to shouting him down? Absolutely. Is "Bowling for Columbine" good work? I think so.

To me, to say something is propaganda is not to shout it down at all. Though it commonly intimates a negative campaign, it needn't, in some languages it still doesn't.

I like truth as much as next guy, and nobody likes too much truth in one sitting. I don't understand exactly what you understand about me to make you think that truth is beneath me. For what it's worth, I think Moore, at least in this film, expresses a keen insight a truth.

Ooops, gotta run. I'll get back to it soon.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

If it was propaganda, it is still a documentary.

If it was edited with a certain viewpoint (which is impossible not to do) it is still a documentary.

If it disagrees with what you think is 'true' it is still a documentary.

I would argue that it's questionable to even call his works documentaries. Even if they are, they walk a fine line.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

This filmaker is the bravest man in north america, just like they included in the trailer. Absolutely.