BitTorrent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I have a wicked fast connection where I am, and despite getting on BitTorrents where there well over a 100 people, I can't seem to get over 30-40KB/s
  • Reply 22 of 61
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

I don't understand the popularity of BT. Overnet/edonkey has been doing the same thing for years, without the problems of duplication, need for servers, & lack of a search function.

not exactly the same thing. bt not only downloads partials, but downloads/uploads from anywhere within a file. most (all) of its predecessors would start from the beginning of the file. this way, as u seed it all over, person A may have bytes 10-15, while B as 16-20, C has 1-10, and D has nothing, so D can grab from both A, B and C simultaneously.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I just want some TV series like Scrubs. If I can record it with a VCR then I should be able to download it.

Also my upload speed is always twice my download speed. as in I'm downloading at.7 k/s uploading at 2.7k/s. Damn BitTorrent sucks. Someone point me to a good torrent to help me see if it's just me please? I am on a fast connection, something beyond T3 at URI. They cap individuals at dorms to 10 base T but believe me it really maxes out to a megaByte a second.

Edit: now I'm uploading at 4 or 5 x while still downloading at .7k/s. I allowed nearly infinite uploads and speed because doesn't that let you download faster? How the hell can it upload faster then download? Is everyone on BitTorrent a stupid modem user???! What kind of idiot tries to download a 1.5 gig file on a modem!

In Bittorrent u can limit the upload speed, right now you are maxed out the uploading which kills your download speed. Just set the limit of the upload about half of what u are uploading per second right now.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by howyoudoin

In Bittorrent u can limit the upload speed, right now you are maxed out the uploading which kills your download speed. Just set the limit of the upload about half of what u are uploading per second right now.

I was about to mention basically the same thing. If you're downloading, you need to cap off the upload at least 5k from your maximum upload speed. Some don't realize they can control this by clicking on the pill-button in the upper right of their download window. Also, if you're downloading more than one you need to set the speed of each connection separately and you need to make sure they don't all add up to maximizing your upload speed again.

The other thing to check is make sure you have enough ports open in the preferences. BitTorrent needs 1 port per connection, so if you want to upload to 50 people, you need to open 50 ports. I suggest at least opening ports 6800-6899. If you're behind a firewall you need to make sure you open these ports there too.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I did both those suggestions. 100 ports open and it still doesn't break 1 k/s on any T3 seeds. Suck.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

I did both those suggestions. 100 ports open and it still doesn't break 1 k/s on any T3 seeds. Suck.

Make sure in addition to opening ports that you're actually increasing the number of uploads too on a given transfer too otherwise it won't actually use those ports. The other thing is how many people are available for you to connect too. If there are not a lot your speed may not increase no matter what you do. Also, If you've downloaded more than others that are downloading then you won't have the a fast download unless you can connect to the original seed.

It all really varies file to file. I mostly seem to get 30-100k per second or so. Sometimes I get real lucky and get 200+ k/sec which starts to max out my connection.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:

I allowed nearly infinite uploads and speed because doesn't that let you download faster?

Allowing too many uploads can be detrimental because you're wasting a lot of bandwidth negotiating connections. I usually set my uploads between 8-16. That seems to give me pretty good results but again that depends on the file being downloaded and the speed and download progress of the other users.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

BitTorrent needs 1 port per connection, so if you want to upload to 50 people, you need to open 50 ports.

Actually, it needs one port per file.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Actually, it needs one port per file.

Sorry about that, it looks like I misread it, but the principle is still basically the same in regard to the other info.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    3.3 is out. U. RI must cap it. Because connecting to 77 peers, allowing 17-27 uploads, going from 1k to 10 k for each upload, I still can't break 5k/s download at the peak. That is with 77 peers, going for Dreamcatcher which I paid to see in the theater so I feel ok.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    What trackers do you guys use? Alot of the speeds you get are dependent on your tracker's activity and who's reseeding the torrents.

aculio
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Trackers?
  • Reply 33 of 61
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

not exactly the same thing. bt not only downloads partials, but downloads/uploads from anywhere within a file. most (all) of its predecessors would start from the beginning of the file. this way, as u seed it all over, person A may have bytes 10-15, while B as 16-20, C has 1-10, and D has nothing, so D can grab from both A, B and C simultaneously.

Overnet can most certainly download/upload from anywhere in the file. It does the exact same thing, and it's fast as hell.

• Reply 34 of 61
    And no clients on MacOS X seem to actually work.

There are a lot of apps on OS X but none of them really get results. Even poisoned has stopped getting downloads. It's always Waiting...How many bloody times do I have to mail them to add Auto Find New Sources!? Duuuuuuh.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    ethar what gui is that?
  • Reply 36 of 61
    what trackers do you all use? To get these high download speeds. And what sites you find the torrent files from to get the files. Also, what ports do you have it range from to look for on downloading, in preferences. Thanks for help
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

what trackers do you all use? To get these high download speeds. And what sites you find the torrent files from to get the files. Also, what ports do you have it range from to look for on downloading, in preferences. Thanks for help

We can't really answer those questions without getting banned.

Can we keep the discussion of BT to legal topics so that we don't get an automatic clamp down any time it comes up? We all KNOW that we can't ask about trackers and stuff like that here. There's google for that (google groups is good to find out this sort of info).
  • Reply 38 of 61
    alright, didnt realize get banned for it. Thanks for letting me know though, about not to ask that stuff.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

alright, didnt realize get banned for it. Thanks for letting me know though, about not to ask that stuff.

NP. I'm not really as new as I look here, so I know the rules better than most.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

We can't really answer those questions without getting banned.

Bingo.

Don't think we're not keeping a close eye on this thread. It's okay to discuss the software, its protocols, features, flaws, etc., but once you start giving out actual locations for obtaining or distributing pirated software, your ass is gone.

Have a nice day.

*lurks back into the shadows*