MTV Unplugged

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This series was simply amazing back in the 90s when every single show had a quality artist that turned in an outstanding performance. So many memorable shows.

I wish they went back to its roots and started it up again with some good artists. I think part of the problem is that today's popular music scene sucks ass where as in the early and mid 90s you had some really great bands and those bands also increased awareness and the popularity of older artists such as Dylan and Clapton.

What's your favorite MTV Unplugged?

Mine would be a tie with Clapton and Pearl Jam....clapton for obvious reasons...he basically created the standard for everyone else and Pearl Jam because they rocked out acoustically instead of slowing down everything.

Close 2nd would be Oasis with Noel singing the songs because Liam was an ass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Gotta be Clapton...Signe...Tears in Heaven. Good stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I'd have to go with Nirvana, the Oasis one is really good too, oh and wait, can't forget LL's show.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Nirvana and Alice In Chains were head and shoulders above the rest.

Neil Young, Clapton and LL were all very good too.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Oasis is one of my all-time very favorite bands, and Noel's voice just worked perfect in that setting.

I love Nirvana and Unplugged is my favorite album of theirs'.

Ditto Alice in Chains.

Jeff

Edit-aced by rageous by a minute!

• Reply 5 of 29
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Clapton and Neil Young.

and I think they did start it up again...Unplugged 2.0.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Clapton and Neil Young.

and I think they did start it up again...Unplugged 2.0.

yea, but with Staind and Jay Z and stuff....bleh

at least they brought REM back for a second time. but the atmosphere of the set they use now just doesnt fit....the old set was perfect.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Another vote for Nirvana and Alice in Chains
  • Reply 8 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I didn't watch that much but didn't STP do one.

I'd like to see White Stripes do it. Minus the drugs.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Oasis is one of my all-time very favorite bands, and Noel's voice just worked perfect in that setting.

Ditto.

Oasis is good stuff.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    The Neil Young one was stunning. Especially considering that when he originally showed up to film it with an MTV-assembled band, he was so unhappy with their performance of his tunes that he WALKED OFF THE SET. In front of the audience.

And then he came back with about 20 guitars and a pipe organ and did the damned thing himself.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 11 of 29
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

at least they brought REM back

Ooooh, I forgot REM's first spot on the show! That was really good. Even if Michael couldn't remember the words to "It's The End Of The World As We Know It."

That was the first time I ever heard "Fall On Me." Great song.

job-always nice to to know someone else who's mad for it!

Jeff
  • Reply 12 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I was thinking about this the other day! There are several good artists that would do very well with this now.

But there are others that wouldn't. They wouldn't do well if they were required NOT to lip sync at a concert.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I've got some live radio session of The Flaming Lips doing their thing with just a guitar and piano. It sounds surprisingly good without all the technological twiddling. Sounds *very* like Neil Young actually.

You can download them from Furthurnet (P2P for legit live recordings by the Dead, Phish etc.)
  • Reply 14 of 29
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Gotta be Clapton...Signe...Tears in Heaven. Good stuff.

Yeah, I like him. The live albums are great.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    MTV Unplugged had some really good stuff....I would have to go with Nirvana as being the best. Didn't Lauryn Hill do an unplugged performance too? They have a concert series on now called "Hard Rock Live"...the Roots and Michelle Branch were on there...I believe some other bands were probably on there but I cant recall who.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Hate to say this...Kiss Unplugged ranks up there with Oasis and Nirvana too.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Definately Clapton.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Nirvana was great out of absolute respect for what the did in such little time, but my fav is Soundgarden.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Nirvana was great out of absolute respect for what the did in such little time, but my fav is Soundgarden.

i wasnt even aware soundgarden did Unplugged
  • Reply 20 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    The best one ever was Paul McCartney. His was also the first to be released as an album. Awesome show. If you don't have it, but you like the Unplugged format, find this show. Beautiful performances really.

Paul Simon was a good runner up. Unfortunately his was never released officially, but I found a copy in lovely old Italy.