Hey 30-Somethings! Music from High School!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Some of you may like to know that Edie Brickell has a new album out, and although I'm on my first listen, it's really an amazing thing. Far better than her last album, which was what, ten years ago?

You can get it from the iTMS for $9.99 or whatever.

I'm going to be listening to this nonstop for a while, I think.

Cheers

Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Some of you may like to know that Edie Brickell has a new album out, and although I'm on my first listen, it's really an amazing thing. Far better than her last album, which was what, ten years ago?

You can get it from the iTMS for $9.99 or whatever.

I'm going to be listening to this nonstop for a while, I think.

Cheers

Scott

Really? Heh... I guess after she married Paul Simon she lost the New Bohemians right?

Wow... now that I look back on it... I feel old. \
  • Reply 2 of 17
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EMGeneratr

Really? Heh... I guess after she married Paul Simon she lost the New Bohemians right?

You should you bag of dirt.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You should you bag of dirt.

Quiet you. YOU don't have flashbacks of Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, and <shudder> hair metal <shudder>.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    <asshole>Gah you're getting so old you can't even close a tag correctly!</asshole>
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

<asshole>Gah you're getting so old you can't even close a tag correctly!</asshole>

They weren't meant to be tags...

And DO not MAKE me beat you with my cane. Or worse I could drive you insane with Bangles, Belinda Carlisle, Richard Marx SONGS!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Bangles, Belinda Carlisle, Richard Marx SONGS!

Who?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Actually, they just put out a new album. Apparently, they all got together just to get together and wound up writing and recording an album over a weekend. Can't remember what it's called, but what I've heard sounds great.

I also understand that New Bohemians still play around Dallas under a variety of names, one of which was "The Super-Elastic Waste Band." Heh.

And yes, I feel old, too.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Edie Brickell = Has-Been.

Next?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

When I was in high school I was listening to Depeche Mode, the Smiths, New Order, the Cure.

Who the hell listened to Edie Brickell? Maybe the drama club girls.

So you're saying you listened to shit music? And you're *proud* of it?

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Who?

Good... you'll never know what's coming! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Actually, they just put out a new album. Apparently, they all got together just to get together and wound up writing and recording an album over a weekend. Can't remember what it's called, but what I've heard sounds great.

I also understand that New Bohemians still play around Dallas under a variety of names, one of which was "The Super-Elastic Waste Band." Heh.

And yes, I feel old, too.

I still find myself listening to a few of her songs. Especially 'Circle' which was one of the best ones they put out.

Over a weekend? I may have to try and listen to some of this album...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

When I was in high school I was listening to Depeche Mode, the Smiths, New Order, the Cure.

Who the hell listened to Edie Brickell? Maybe the drama club girls.

I still love those bands. that and I'll allways have a soft spot in my heart for Skinny Puppy, Front 242 (still a favorite), and Frontline Assembly (or Delerium, or Pro-tech or whatever name you'd like to call them).
  • Reply 13 of 17
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

So you're saying you listened to shit music? And you're *proud* of it?

Cheers

Scott

This is no shite music. It's quality music imo. I had (and still have) the Edie Brickell album featuring 'What I am' but only on 12" vinyl. Haven't listened to it for years. But she sure has sexy voice. At high school I listened to Queen, New Order, Rolling Stones, ELO, Stranglers, PIL and Pixies among others
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Hey, I still listen to New Order, the Cure and the Smiths. Depeche is on my iPod for nostalgia reasons.

Well, that doesn't make them good.

Quote:

And the Cure are a freaking awesome band and always have been, New Order has some great stuff (their latest album was extremely good) and the Smiths, well, what can I say?

Maybe you can say, "girlfriend in a coma I know, I know"?

Quote:

Like I said, it was a British influence.

Indeed, and a bad one at that.

Quote:

American bands I listened to? Smithereens. 10,000 Maniacs (okay, that's kind of Brickell-ish).

I have seen both live and in person. Neither band was ever, EVER as good as the New Bohemians were.

Quote:

But what's with that Popeye song of hers? You know, "I am what I am and that's alls that I am?"

The song was "What I am," and it is, quite literally, about not over-intellectualizing things. The song plays out a kind of impulse toward "deepness" in terms of metaphor while at the same time resisting that same impulse. You should look at the lyrics before you pass judgment on it. BTW, that line "choke me in the shallow water" is, I have always thought, a misprint. I suspect the line is actually "chuck," which in the South (and I grudgingly accept Texas as marginally Southern) would mean "throw."

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

This is no shite music. It's quality music imo. I had (and still have) the Edie Brickell album featuring 'What I am' but only on 12" vinyl. Haven't listened to it for years. But she sure has sexy voice. At high school I listened to Queen, New Order, Rolling Stones, ELO, Stranglers, PIL and Pixies among others

That ain't the same list as the one above. Queen were excellent. Beyon compare. New Order was really good. The Stones, crucial. ELO, meh (I don't like Jeff Lynne's production), Stranglers excellent, PIL meh (Rotton gets on my nerves, but they have a place at the table), and the Pixies are a fine group.

This ain't the Cure and the Smiths.

Cheers

Scott