Future PowerBook Designs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Do you think Apple should return to making expandable, modular PowerBook designs like the ones used by the G3 PowerBooks?

Personally, I would love to be able to swap a hard drive, battery, or anything else that would fit into a bay. Why did Apple do away with this? Might the aluminum PowerBook be a stop gap design until the G5 PowerBooks come along, which would reinstate this shortcoming? Apple must have prototypes...I've read of a similar G5 tower honey-combing for new PB's (here on AI) and I hope they are considering this functionality in the PowerBook G5's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    that functionality sacrifices thinness and weight and overall size.

with hard drive sizes for laptops increasing, superdrives, and hot swappable and bus powered firewire and usb 2 its less neccessary than it once were.

i would like the option but i dont see it ever coming back.

heck, PC card slot may very well die soon.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I thought there was talk about liquid metal because it was stronger and lighter...or was it thinner? Either way I think this would be good if Apple could polish it off so it wouldn't look as ugly and it dissipated heat well.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I would like to see apple apply some innovative display positioning features. At the moment I have a TiBook at work, and to use it comfortably I have to prop it up on a stand and that means I have to use an external KB and mouse. That really sucks. It also helps if I could move it a little back from where I'm typing. I know these are the limitations of a portable computer, but someone needs to make it easier. I don't want to attach a separate monitor or keyboard. the one on my laptop is just fine. Take a look at this sketch I made:

• Reply 4 of 13
    resres Posts: 711member
    The only feature I miss form the powerbook G3s is trey loading optical drives. I hate slot loading drives (you can't use mini-CDs or odd shaped media with them).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    if previous apple hinges were problem ridden imagine how those would hold up
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Why not just put extendable feet at the back two corners like they did on their older laptops? I know that at least Duos, 500-series, and the 190/5300/3400 had them. Not sure about the 100-series or the 1400, but I do know that the Wallstreet and later did not have feet.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

if previous apple hinges were problem ridden imagine how those would hold up

I don't know, I'm not an engineer :P . I think if the hinge was almost as wide as the laptop itself, it would be sturdy enough.

IBM has some ideas on how this should be done.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Why not just put extendable feet at the back two corners like they did on their older laptops? I know that at least Duos, 500-series, and the 190/5300/3400 had them. Not sure about the 100-series or the 1400, but I do know that the Wallstreet and later did not have feet.

That would affect my typing style (I like a pretty flat keyboard) and would only lift the display not even an inch.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    It's an ergonomics issue. People shouldn't have to carry around all sorts of modular parts. The PowerBook is monolithic...a single solitary professional class machine with all the features almost any professional needs and then some. Part of the problem is that modular notebook parts are not only ugly, but too delicate. The cd/dvd drives in the G3 PowerBooks were exremely unreliable. If you're going to carry aound another part, why not just carry a firewire device that is sturdier, looks better, can be used simutaniously with up to 61 other firewire devices, and can also be used with your desktop or future equipment. Modular parts are bad looking, unreliable, expensive, and proprietary...and for what?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

It's an ergonomics issue. People shouldn't have to carry around all sorts of modular parts. The PowerBook is monolithic...a single solitary professional class machine with all the features almost any professional needs and then some. Part of the problem is that modular notebook parts are not only ugly, but too delicate. The cd/dvd drives in the G3 PowerBooks were exremely unreliable. If you're going to carry aound another part, why not just carry a firewire device that is sturdier, looks better, can be used simutaniously with up to 61 other firewire devices, and can also be used with your desktop or future equipment. Modular parts are bad looking, unreliable, expensive, and proprietary...and for what?

I am totally with you on this. I've got enough extras to carry around as it is.

Between the plugin power supply, my iPod (and it's cable), a bluetooth mouse and my iSight; at most I want to carry around an extra battery. I've got plenty of non-computer stuff I have to carry around. I don't want a bag full of parts to have to deal with.

Bow down to the all-powerful monolith.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

I am totally with you on this. I've got enough extras to carry around as it is.

Between the plugin power supply, my iPod (and it's cable), a bluetooth mouse and my iSight; at most I want to carry around an extra battery. I've got plenty of non-computer stuff I have to carry around. I don't want a bag full of parts to have to deal with.

Bow down to the all-powerful monolith.

Funny thing, I was watching 2001 last night, and I did a couple of screen captures:

• Reply 12 of 13
    I believe a great solution to everyone's laptop usability problems would be a semi-removable screen; i personnally would just adore that: it would still be on a hinge etc.. but there could be an option to simply remove it and put it in front of your wall or sumthing (it would have to remain connected to the pb with a wire obviously)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I have been using 15" Al PB for a little over a month now and there is not much that is I find lacking.

Those two are:

Super great WiFi reception. While travelling I sometimes had problems connecting to WiFi hotspots. EIther Apple should design in a really great antenna or they should leave the antenna port to the AE card accessible so that an external antenna can be added.

The second option would be best. Then you could experiment with those really hot directional antenna that allow operation from great distances.

Better placement and sizing of the trackpad. This one places the pad partly under your right palm. This causes inadvertent mouse clicks. The only satisfactory way of dealing with this now is to turn off track pad clicking.

If pressed, I might also want better battery life, but this one is not bad. I usually get about 3 hours 30 minutes on a full charge. Between all the other activities that go on in a day that has proven enough so that I have yet to run down the battery completely (before my own internal battery runs down .