death of an iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok, so my day was pretty normal, up until i get home and notice my iPod's screen is cracked beyond all belief. it will still play music but due to all the damage on the screen the thing is inoperable and it wont be seen by Mac os X or iTunes 4. i called up support and they said it would cost 500 bucks to repair, yea im gonna pay 500 bucks to repair my 10gb ipod when 40gb ones cost that much, smart move apple.

so yea now im down an iPod , it was one of those calls that was just like "sorry your out of luck"

what a day

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    great excuse to buy one of the new iPods tho, eh? 8)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    yea, ill just use the money i spent in may that i saved up for months to buy a new iPod, oh wait i spent it on one already..
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    How did that happen?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    your guess is as good as mine, it was in my pocket all day as normal, nothing serious happend that id notice that would have damaged it like this, and now i have no iPod due to a messed up LCD screen and apple's stupidness
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    How on earth does "Apple's stupidness" have anything to do with you breaking your iPod??

That said, you may want to see if your homeowners/renters insurance covers it. Or perhaps your credit card has purchase protection on items you purchase with it.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    never thought of that, thats a good idea

by apple's stupidness i just ment charing 500 bucks to repair a 300 dollar item
  • Reply 7 of 22
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Not that it matters much now, but do you think someone might have played with it, broke it and sheepishly put it back in the case, then you left with it thinking it was fine? Or do you mean it was fine, you used it all day and then later noticed it was broken.

Just figuring if you can corner the culprit (if there is one) you could get them to replace it. LONGSHOT, I know.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    YOU luck bastard! Somone shot at you and your iPod saved your life!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    When Apple told you that they would "repair" your 10 GB iPod for $500, what exactly would you be getting back? A new generation model? A "brand new" older generation model? A refurbished model?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    The iPod is very unstable! I have been through several of them over the years and not one has been without problems. I always end up buying new ones because Apple charges way too much to repair them.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

• Reply 12 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lsngctrl

The iPod is very unstable! I have been through several of them over the years and not one has been without problems. I always end up buying new ones because Apple charges way too much to repair them.

I still use my 1st gen, 5 gig without any problems. It's been dropped a lot, the wheel has poped off a few times. It's been out in -30 centigrades and had its screen all frozen...

Still works like a charm. I'm actually running Panther from it right now... Uh, hush!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

You idiot! Now he's aware of the plot!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    You can always ebay the broken iPod. Someone will pay more for it than you might expect. Then use that cash to buy a replacement. A lot of good deals can be had now.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

You can always ebay the broken iPod. Someone will pay more for it than you might expect. Then use that cash to buy a replacement. A lot of good deals can be had now.

Nobody will buy it. Give it to me. I'll pay for shipping and tell you who tried to kill you!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Nobody will buy it. Give it to me. I'll pay for shipping and tell you who tried to kill you!

Shh!!! Remember your sworn oath not to tell!!!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Shh!!! Remember your sworn oath not to tell!!!

Didn't tell anyone about the grassy nole
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I noticed a while ago with my 2nd generation 10GB iPod that it was frequently freezing up and skipping over songs. I had about 300MB of storage left on it. What I did was erase everything and completely reformat it and now, with about 1.8 GB on it, it runs fine and the performance is really slick. I heard something awhile ago about how hard drives start acting funny if there too close to capacity so maybe that's what I was experiencing and perhaps what some with unstable iPods may be experiencing as well. Can anyone back me up on this? Thanks
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by millhouse

by apple's stupidness i just ment charing 500 bucks to repair a 300 dollar item

This is standard for the consumer electronics industry -- repairs to these devices are virtually impossible. Its not just an Apple thing.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I had let this one go since it was sliding down the page.... but with the bump, I'll have to pop it into the proper forum.

iPod discussion goes into Digital Hub. Moving now.