Hook Me Up!

brbr
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, now that I have my brand new 1GHz 17" Flat Panel iMac, I need some nifty software. I'm already running Konfabulator Widgets and use Icy Juice for my ICQ needs. Thanks to stupiderlikeafox, I now have cocoa mouse gestures. Now it's your turn to post your favorite must-have shareware/freeware/betaware programs/utilities/etc. Doing so will postpone your impending doom and will nearly guarantee that your demise will be slightly more painless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Just saw a reference to "Pith Helmet" in the suggestions forum. I have installed it. It is god. It shall replace the Wooden Chair as my new object of worship.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    iRC - For super easy IRC chatting. Best IRC client around. Note the lowercase i and the uppercase RC.

MPlayer OS X - For playing any movie format you can think of other than WMP9.

SubEthaEdit - Formerly Hydra. Horrible name, but a great text editor, and free. I use it instead of TextEdit because it doesn't try to change things for you the way TextEdit does, for example when you're writing HTML.

VLC - Another movie player, I think it's better than MPlayer because it doesn't have as many problems with audio and video getting out of sync, but it's also more demanding (not a problem for a 17" iMac). Not quite as tolerant of strange file formats as MPlayer.

WireTap - Records any audio coming out of your computer.

XBench - Series of benchmark tests, which test the processor, graphics card, memory system, and hard drive. Uploaded to an online database so you can compare your computer with others.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Thank you very much.

Any others? No one else wants to postpone their impending dooms?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Doom Legacy.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    ToyViewer - for simple viewing and editing of images when you don't need the power (and turtle-like speed) of Photoshop.

Poisoned - for sharing files on both Gnutella and Fasttrack (Kazaa) networks.

Fink - for one-click download and installation of Unix software

Brickhouse - for setting up your own custom firewall and permanent internet sharing

Carbon Copy Cloner - for cloning ANY drive onto any other drive (even CD-Rs through the wonder of disc images)

iTunes-BPM - really, really addictive way to click-measure the BPM of all your MP3z

Well, that's everything no-one else has mentioned that I can think of...

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Some good ones that haven't yet been mentioned:

GraphicConverter - the interface is hideous, but it's the best app for quick image manipulation, viewing, conversion, and batch modifying. "Imports about 175 graphic file formats; Exports about 75 graphic file formats "

Transmit - the best FTP client for Mac OS X

TinkerTool - enables/disables hidden features in Mac OS X, Finder, and Dock

Cocktail - similar to TinkerTool, but a standalone app, and has a few more functions too.

Pacifist - for extracting specific contents from installer packages
  • Reply 7 of 24
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Launchbar - open any file/url/address/application without having to navigate to it.

pth iTunesNotifier - a handy little menu item that is very configurable. It tells you the current track being played, ratings, etc. You can also set it to control iTunes and provide song ratings on the fly. It's ass-ugly out of the box, but with some tweaking it can be real purdy.

Meteorologist - It's now gone open-source (read: dead), but it works extremely well. It does what it names indicates.

OmniOutliner - A great app for outlining and brainstorming. I love it. Use it with OmniGraffle for some great diagraming fun.

OmniGraffle - The best diagraming application I've ever seen. Combine it with OmniOutliner and you never have to have a loose argument again!

Art Director's Toolkit - I never knew I needed this app until I used it. It does all sorts of things that you could do on your own, but it makes it way easier. Essential for web design (IMHO).

Fink Commander - If you want to use Fink, you have to use this. It gets rid of all that apt-get/dselect madness.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Fink Commander - If you want to use Fink, you have to use this. It gets rid of all that apt-get/dselect madness.

It really should be noted that Fink Commander is included with the Fink disc image

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 24
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It really should be noted that Fink Commander is included with the Fink disc image

Barto

Really? I installed them both a while ago, so I'm out of the loop. Thanks for the info, though.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

[B]pth iTunesNotifier - a handy little menu item that is very configurable. It tells you the current track being played, ratings, etc. You can also set it to control iTunes and provide song ratings on the fly. It's ass-ugly out of the box, but with some tweaking it can be real purdy.

THANK YOU for mentioning this! This is exactly what I've been looking for. More even. And it don't need Konfabulator to work! Thank you very much, Torifile, you've got some good karma coming your way by overnight delivery.

• Reply 11 of 24
    OSEx and OpenShiiva which together allow you to do those things you really want to do with your DVD's that other programs promise but don't quite deliver.

David
  • Reply 12 of 24
    There are some Mac only programs that are simply amazing and offer stuff not available on the pc. Logic and Digital Performer come to mind.

One program that is often overlooked and is both simply stunning and reasonable priced is Softpress' Freeway Pro and it's FAST packs.

This program is the best WYSIWYG webdesign program on the planet, and generates the cleanest code in the business. The additional FAST packs allow you to do stuff within Freeway that never seem to amaze mee. Sorry if this sounds like a commercial rant, but I'm just a very satisfied user, eversince version 2. Plus, custumor support is nothing but outstanding - should be a benchmark for other companies

Check out Freeway Pro
  • Reply 13 of 24
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    No one's mentions LaunchBar! I love LaunchBar!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    I agree - Launchbar is amazing. No Mac user should be without it!
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Doom Legacy.

Someone knows the score.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

THANK YOU for mentioning this! This is exactly what I've been looking for. More even. And it don't need Konfabulator to work! Thank you very much, Torifile, you've got some good karma coming your way by overnight delivery.

I have found http://synergy.wincent.org/ synergy to be much better at this... Also finds album art automatically...

another place that has a nice list of good software is http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~dfl/osx/ this... but we already mentioned most of this list ...
  • Reply 17 of 24
    If you aren't already using Firebird for your browsing needs then you should be. Make sure you get one of the nightly builds (0.7) which is really not as buggy in X as previous builds.

Puts both IE and Safari to shame.

Once you get used to browsing the Internet without using your mouse you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    OmniDictionary - seems useless, until you actually need to look up a word. www.omnigroup.com

Acquisition - peer to peer file-sharing application that feels like it belongs in Mac OS X. best one i've used on the Mac. www.acquisitionx.com

PixelNhance - quick, easy, and useful, graphics application from now defunct Caffeine Software. still available for download. www.caffeinesoft.com
  • Reply 19 of 24
    My vote goes for QuickImageCM Adds a contextual menu item to quickly edit pictures in the Finder. A lot quicker than launching iPhoto or Photoshop if you just want to crop a picture or re-save screenshots for posting.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Graphic Converter is an extremely handy tool for doing pretty much anything with images short of PhotoShop. (change formats, slide show, lossless rotation, really nice browser, much, much more.)

Tex-Edit Plus is a great text editor. Built in functions for converting windows formatted text to Mac format. Completely scriptable, recordable and attachable. Great text editor to use with Applescript for massaging text. Great way to learn about AppleScript. Set record on in the script editor, do a bunch of things in TE+, go back to the script editor, stop recording then view the resultant script.