Doom III...when will it come to Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've heard that id's John Carmack really respects the mac platform, but how long do you think it'll actually take for Doom to be on the Mac? Quake took more than a year, and Doom will probably be harder to port.

Oh well. We mac users always get it last.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I thought Quake was released simultaneously. I even seem to remember the beta being on the Mac first.

Err, I mean Quake III - you're not talking about Quake I are you?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Carmack has been known to release test versions on the Mac the night before he releases the PC test builds. Quake 3 was demo'd at MWSF (I believe) in '99, before anyone had even seen it run on a PC.

They'll come out at roughly the same time...don't worry.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Ever since Quake 3 (and the availability of OpenGL on Macs), id have developed the Mac version in-house and at the same time as the PC version. No porting required. The Mac Quake 3 test application was indeed released before the Windows/Linux ones.

I wonder if my rev. A 12" PowerBook will run Doom III...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This is good. Very good.

Now, can anyone suggest a video card?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This is good. Very good.

Now, can anyone suggest a video card?

Something very fast. ATI Radeon 9600 desktop and mobile variants would probably be a good start, work your way up the model line from there.

I played Doom 3 Alpha when it leaked, and it pretty much brought my PC to its knees. P4 2.1GHz, 512MB DDR RAM, 128MB DDR Nvidia GeForce Ti4200. I'm sure its been optimized to run far better by now, but Doom 3 is going to demand a very strong system in order to be playable.