what's gonna be left for macworld in jan?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Apple won't carry 4 LCDs. Notice they dropped the 15" when they added the 20"? If they add a 30" (highly doubt it) they would drop the 17".

Stupid choice.
  • Reply 42 of 205
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

How does he watch his pr0n DVD's then?

DVD Player, built into Mac OS X.

• Reply 43 of 205
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Well, in light of recent events, there seem to be two fairly obvious things on their way:

1) Steve goes over iTMS and the iPod, and the results of the release for Windows: X zillion downloads, X zillion songs downloaded, over 400,000 iPods sold (long shot: over half a million sold). iTMS appears to be sustaining a monthly [edit: I meant weekly!] sales rate of 1 million songs, and it's become profitable in just nine months (or so). Insert a few zingers aimed at the other services here. Show pie graphs of iPod and iTMS market shares.

2) The new iMac. Who knows what this will be?

The rest will be the usual "this is where we are, and this is where we're going" spiel for the press and the analysts to chew on. The stores will rake in their first significant profit from holiday sales.
  • Reply 44 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

it seems like everything has already recieved substantial updates or will between now and then......what's in the grapevine for macworld?

New iMAC

New iBook

New LCD Displays

iTUNES 5.1
  • Reply 45 of 205
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Stupid choice.

I have to agree regarding the 17" model. Price drop? Possible (they damn well better...). Elimination? Highly doubtful, unless a 19" moves to the current price for the 17" (would make more sense).
  • Reply 46 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon a thon

New iBook

Scratch that from the MacWorld list -- it just got a G4.

More support to my post on the previous page that "Apple has finally wised up and started announcing things when they are ready (or near-ready) rather than wait around for these biannual geek get-togethers."

Heh.
  • Reply 47 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Scratch that from the MacWorld list -- it just got a G4.

More support to my post on the previous page that "Apple has finally wised up and started announcing things when they are ready (or near-ready) rather than wait around for these biannual geek get-togethers."

Heh.

The iBook was WAY past due for an update. Apple upset a lot of potential customers and schools who had planned to buy new, top-of-the-line iBooks in time for the beginning of school this fall. Since most people suspected the new IBM G3 chip was going to land in the iBook, I suspect Apple stuck a G4 into the iBook to make iBook buyers happy ... particularly since Apple wants to release a G5 PowerBook sometime before the end of 2004.

Going back to the IBM G3 (PowerPC 750GX) for a minute, I wonder what IBM will do with that chip? A small, powerful, low-power-consuming chip like that would be perfect for a compact tablet-style notebook ... like the one most Apple followers say will NEVER come. I for one would rather have a small 1.1GHz G3 tablet running Panther than a Palm organizer.

The thing that confuses the heck out of me is what happened to the eMac today. Apple cut the 900MHz chip from the line, included Panther and lowered the price. That's not really an "update" ... and now the eMac looks a little weird being the only Mac without USB 2.0, bluetooth option, DDR SDRAM, and at least two processor speeds. The eMac also now has a worse graphics card that the iBook. What's up with that?

On one level, it makes since for Apple to do this in order to lower eMac prices in time for Christmas. On another level, it seems stupid not to upgrade the eMac ... since it now looks like "last year's computer" compared to all the other Macs in the lineup.

I suspect that Apple plans to do one of three things:

1) Introduce a new, upgraded eMac just before Christmas.

2) Introduce a new, upgraded eMac in January at Macworld.

3) Cut the eMac from the lineup in January and announce a new line of iMacs ... including a base-priced model that takes the place of the eMac in terms of price.
  • Reply 48 of 205
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I suspect Apple stuck a G4 into the iBook to make iBook buyers happy ...

You're kidding right? I don't think they would have wasted all the time and money that went into designing a logic board with the 750GX in mind, then scrapping it and starting from scratch and designing one aroung the G4. It's probably just the old TiBook logic board anyway

Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

I suspect that Apple plans to do one of three things:

1) Introduce a new, upgraded eMac just before Christmas.

2) Introduce a new, upgraded eMac in January at Macworld.

3) Cut the eMac from the lineup in January and announce a new line of iMacs ... including a base-priced model that takes the place of the eMac in terms of price.

Agreed. Shitcan that monstrosity! It is the ugliest thing they have made since Jobs came back. They need a headless, cheap model to compete in homes/schools/corporations. Give people a choice of monitors (use their old ones, or a cheap Sony/Viewsonic/Samsung/whatever), and make it small - like they did WAAAAAAY back when with the Quadra 700.
  • Reply 49 of 205
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    my guesses are getting much more realistic with the releases today.

redesigned imac.

speed bumps across the entire line.

redesigned displays.

even bigger hd for the ipod.

what else could there be on the hardware front?

i suppose i'd be fine with some nice price drops!
  • Reply 50 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Agreed. Shitcan that monstrosity! It is the ugliest thing they have made since Jobs came back. They need a headless, cheap model to compete in homes/schools/corporations. Give people a choice of monitors (use their old ones, or a cheap Sony/Viewsonic/Samsung/whatever), and make it small - like they did WAAAAAAY back when with the Quadra 700.

Better yet, yesterday's eMac "update" just gave me an idea. I can buy a flat panel 17-inch monitor for $200 at Office Depot. The G4 PowerMacs, although just replaced by the G5 PowerMacs, are still GREAT towers ... MUCH better than an eMac or iMac.

Apple could easily drop the price of the G4 PowerMac towers to $1,199 for the single 1.25GHz processor and $1,299 for the dual 1.25GHz processor. Add Panther and a 17-inch monitor for a total of $1,399 and $1,599 repectively.

Then they can trash the eMac and lower the price on the iMac as their single "all in one" option.

Apple NEEDS a cheaper tower.
  • Reply 51 of 205
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

... and make it small - like they did WAAAAAAY back when with the Quadra 700.

The Quadra 700! That was the end of the old LC line (didn't LC stand for Low Cost?) which came about to bring down the cost of entry into Mac life... It was headless, simple, small, and low-priced. And it was a convenient size too, nice and small. I think the Performa 6x00 machines were roughly the same size/shape, too. It's a form-factor Apple should definitely bring back.
  • Reply 52 of 205
    The Quadra was not an LC. in 1991 Apple introduced the Quadra 700 and 900 as the first 68040 macs. They were not cheap. But eh point is well taken in terms of case size. The Quadra 700 and other Mac IIS it shared it's case with were well designed. i really would like a similar design to return as a cheap headless desktop, though it seems unlikely
  • Reply 53 of 205
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

The Quadra 700! That was the end of the old LC line (didn't LC stand for Low Cost?) which came about to bring down the cost of entry into Mac life... It was headless, simple, small, and low-priced. And it was a convenient size too, nice and small. I think the Performa 6x00 machines were roughly the same size/shape, too. It's a form-factor Apple should definitely bring back.

I had an LC II for years. It was indeed cheap for a Mac ($1300 educational price, if memory serves, in 1991) but crippled in all kinds of fascinating ways - for instance, it could only address 10MB of RAM, and it didn't have a floating point unit. It was solidly built, though, and never had a problem. Not even after I dropped it three feet onto a hardwood floor. While I suppose it could support other monitors, it was commonly sold with, and designed to be used with, the great old Apple 12" color monitor.

If you think about what you can get for whatever $1300 in 1991 would be in 2003 dollars, Apple has come quite a way.
  • Reply 54 of 205
    I think we'll only see a small bump in powermacs... more dual options. And brand spankin' new iMacs. But nothing all that exciting. I think the main presentation will be about the future of the Macintosh. Apple has now reached a point where everything seems to be just right. The G5s are near perfect, at least the high end model... and with the release of Panther, OS X is now reaching maturity. So what exactly is left for Apple and Macintosh in general? I think that 2004 will be the year of innovation. I honestly think there will be something new and unexpected coming our way in the year to come....... I just don't know what it is.
  • Reply 55 of 205
    Hi there,

I really start wondering what will happen at MWSF, too.

I guess we will see something special at MWSF.

Apple still targets product releases with major trade shows in mind.

Next years show will be in remembrance of the 20th anniversary of the Mac (January 2003). Alone because of that, something special will need to happen.

I highly doubt we will see any 10.4 demos. That is what WWDC is and was for. Why give the competition any clues what you will ship in 8 months and why change the accustomed release schedule (announcement at WWDC, shipping at AppleExpo (this years was delayed))? Pre-announcing OSes is always bad, because customers delay hardware purchases, because the great, new OS comes not yet pre-installed.

Probably the iApps will see major updates and we might see the rumored Office suite and a new iApp on the software front at MWSF.

The PowerBook that were introduced at AppleExpo Paris (hint, hint) were obviously delayed and are in my eyes only a minor update.

I don't see PowerBook G5s announced at MWSF. Given that IBM has surprised us multiple times (We didn't expect a PPC970 at 2 GHz!), we will sure get surprised again. Key is IBMs' fabbing magic. When the PPC970 is at 0.09 micron we will be able to see a G5 PowerBook. It was rumored that the step to the 0.09 micron PPC970(+ = dual-core ?!) will happen by years end.

Hardware related announcements could include an iMac G5 (G5 at 0.09 micron for silent operation), a headless semi-pro Mac (G5 1.8 GHz single, one mini PCI-X and AGP slot) at 1100$ and a headless eMac (1 GHz G4, one mini PCI and AGP slot) at 400$ and more powerful G5 PowerMacs (1.8 GHz single-core, 1.8 GHz dual-core at 0.09 micron, dual 2 GHz dual-core at 0.09 micron and dual 2.4 GHz dual-core at 0.09 micron).

For the PowerBook G5 the system controller must be fabbed at 0.09 micron as well and the layout of the components on the motherboard must be very carefully chosen. Because of those major hurdles I expect a PowerBook G5 in April 2004. I'm pretty sure, that the current PowerBook was designed with the G5 in mind. I guess the heat dissipation of a processor can be estimated quite exactly these days. Because of that I suppose the enclosure of the PowerBook was designed with the G5 in mind. I don't expect an updated enclosure for a PB G5.

I say April 2003 because the iBook G4 puts some pressure on the PBs and because you can't sell a G4 at 1.33 GHz to professional customers, if you're other professional line is at 2.4 GHz. The performance gap between a PowerBook and a PowerMac has *never* been greater!

Apple is very serious about achieving bigger market-share. Their strategy to innovate through the economic downturn is starting to pay "back" ;-).

It would be wonderful if someone could dig up more info on the PPC970 at 0.09 micron and if the PPC970 at 0.09 micron is equivalent to the PPC970+ (dual-core).

See ya.
  • Reply 56 of 205
    I wonder if this means we will see claism next year of Apple's year of the most powerful notebook/laptop with introduction of G5 as we saw for desktops this year...

Jason
  • Reply 57 of 205
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

I have to agree regarding the 17" model. Price drop? Possible (they damn well better...). Elimination? Highly doubtful, unless a 19" moves to the current price for the 17" (would make more sense).

Then the 30" is as highly doubtful. I don't see Apple carrying 4 monitors.
  • Reply 58 of 205
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Expanded line of consumer entertainment devices that support iTunes AAC files. Video on demand in iTMS.

Oh, and that $100 iPod.
  • Reply 59 of 205
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    further develop the very hot, profitable iPod with

--wireless connection to home stereo system, bluetooth for wireless headphones

--connectivity with car stereo systems/ head unit/wireless trunk mount adapter and dash board screen, more car solutions. thus iPod can be taken everywhere

faster combo and superdrives across the board(hope hope hope)

office suite with complete MS office file sharing/compatibility

Marketing development--send the message to all in a MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE WAY. they need better and stronger marketing, switch campaign with solution and results based adds. show the "ease of use"

Battery life improvements--can we get to 6-7 hours real life battery use across the board. maybe fuel cell 15

Complete Apple solutions for most business and consumer apps.

More hoizontal integration
  • Reply 60 of 205
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Here's my input:

1. Powerbook G5s above $2500 and Powerbook G4s receiving 20% price reductions.

2. G5 Mini

3. Aforementioned new iMac

4. Low priced 5 GB iPod, high priced 60 GB iPod

5. Apple word processor program