Powerbook and DVD-R

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Many people have made comments towards Apple releasing the first laptop with a Superdrive. Well, they now won't be the first. <a href="http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-a/Catalog/02su/Grx91gp/feat3.html"; target="_blank">Check it out.</a>

Bullocks eh?

Edit: I'm adding the translated version of the site too: <a href="http://babelfish.altavista.com/urltrurl?url=http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/S tyle-a%2FCatalog%2F02su%2FGrx91gp%2Ffeat3.html&lp=ja_en &tt=url" target="_blank">English</a>

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: pi radians ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    *sigh*

This is why I wish they hadn't gone with the 1" enclosure, it seriously holds back updates.

Looking on the bright side, Jobs will now fight hard to get a Superdrive in the Powerbook.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    You need to fix that bablefish link, it didn't work for me. (complained about an invalid referer, or something.)

It's cool, but it's not slot loading, and we all know how steve likes his slot loading drives.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    That Sony, what model is it? And what are the chassis dimensions?

That information will give us more insight as to whether a SuperDrive is possible in TiBook.

ting5
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    [quote]It loads the bio note beginning and DVD-RW drive.

バイオノート初、DVD-RWドライブを搭載。 To correspond to the entry of the DVD-R/RW, the entry of the CD-R/RW possible DVD-RW drive for the first time in the PCG-GRX91G/P as a bio note loading. Data entry to the DVD-R/RW disk which is proud of the large capacity of the 4.7GB and, it can do DVD compilation easily. As for DVD-R/RW entry speed identical-dimensioned speed, as for CD-R entry the maximum of 16 time speed (as for the CD-RW the maximum of 10 time speed) with, reliability when writing in it has improved with buffer under run error prevention function. In addition, the lighting software " Drag'n Drop CD Ver.2.1 which can retain the data of large capacity in the DVD-R/RW (DVD correspondence)" you prepare the data entry to the DVD disk.

* Depending upon the disk, when it does not correspond to the entry speed of part, it is.

* Drive with the AC adapter is necessary when writing in to the DVD-R/RW disk.

* Copyright it cannot duplicate the DVD video which is protected.<hr></blockquote>

The relevant text after being babelfished.

If I read that second note correctly, the DVD-R/RW can only be powered from AC power.

ting5

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: Yet Another Registration ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    What's the deal with Apple refusing to let me burn DVD's with iDVD2 using a 3rd-party drive? I'm insulted to have to spend $1000 for DVD Studio Pro when some joe paid not much more for his iMac and can burn all day long with free software.

Come on, just release a version that works with third-party drives if you're going to drag your feet giving me an internal drive for the Powerbook.

The situation is similar to when movie theaters prohibit bringing outside food just so that you'll spend more on their crap. In high school, I bought a big ol' East German army coat from a thrift shop & became known for smuggling entire 18-pc. KFC dinners and pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream to my seat and feasting all the way through the feature just to spite them. This time I might have to buy a big ol' pirate ship and hope my marauding brings me a free copy of DVD Studio Pro, because I'm sure as hell not gonna buy it.

- PEte

[Edit: 1st post not Faulknerian enough]

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: CoolHandPete ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    We have reports on this board of a certain campus store with very good TiBook deals. Also, the big Sony's have typically had very sh*tty battery life, and since a DVD takes a while to encode and burn, that's probably why you need to be plugged into AC power to make your DVD, it'd suck to have the power crap out 3/4ths of the way through your burn.

That looks like a thin laptop-type drive on the Sony. I doubt the 1" thickness is the limiting factor for Apple. If anything, it's the SLOT LOAD mechanism which is a totally unneccessary gimmick that offers no utile advantage. Odd size media give it fits; ejection of discs could prove problematic in light of recent CD 'enhancements'. Better to go back to a side eject tray drive, even better to offer one that can be removed completely for dual battery operation.

Maybe Steve will surprise us with a Ghz Superdrive TiBook on the high-end. It's just about due for a case mod anyway. Untill he gets .13u SOI PPC's he isn't going to be able to offer much more than a superdrive as a truly WOW feature. And with Mobile x86 pushing 2Ghz and DDR buses TiBook sales have started to tail off, they need a feature of this calibre soon. Waiting for a slot load version will put them at least a year behind everybody else. Apple can't afford that.

Maybe the Ti line-up will look something like this: Fast= 800 Combo, Faster= 1Ghz Combo plus Airport, Fastest= 1Ghz Superdrive plus airport.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]

Matsu writes:

Maybe the Ti line-up will look something like this: Fast= 800 Combo, Faster= 1Ghz Combo plus Airport, Fastest= 1Ghz Superdrive plus airport.

<hr></blockquote>

Thank you, Matsu.

--PEte
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    any chance that we will see a superdrive in TI in NY?