Safari: Not really that fast

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yes, I think you're rather off-target on Mozilla. Wake me up when Safari has fixed its contextual menus so they have a simple forward and back button. Eek.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Don't fool your self. The sad fact is that all the Mac web browsers out there suck big time. The Mac is great, OsX is great, the whole Mac concept is great. But as a web surfing tool the Mac simply SUX. Blame it on MS Java, blame it on lazy web developers (that don't bother testing their sites on a Mac), blame it on whatever you like. If you like to browse the net fast, with no compatibility issues, the only way to go is Windows. Hopefully this will change, but right now it's just a simple matter of fact, the Mac isn't quite up to it

This has not been my experience. I have tried various OSX web browsers - and while they each have their pros and cons and I have switched main browsers a couple of times (IE, to Netscape, and now, as of yesterday, to Mozilla after not being entirely satisfied with a test of Safari) - I would not say that they "suck big time" compared with browsers on Windows. Actually, I find that Mac to be an excellent web platform and my Windows using friends who have tried out my Mac - and I only have a 'slow' G3 500 - agree with me.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Most open source browsers have good internal design but the interface is a joke and after years and years the best design mozilla can come up with is to ape Netscape 4!? Safari has the best interface for a browser in the world. It just needs more compliance, stability, and speed, and I don't know why KHTML isn't getting more publicity. Apple should port Safari to Windows eventually, it can't be that hard since most of it is open source and people will be willing to help. Just like iTunes and iTMS it will familiarize Windows users with how much better Apple software is. And it will make it easier when I am forced to use a PC!
  • Reply 24 of 45
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

This has not been my experience. I have tried various OSX web browsers - and while they each have their pros and cons and I have switched main browsers a couple of times (IE, to Netscape, and now, as of yesterday, to Mozilla after not being entirely satisfied with a test of Safari) - I would not say that they "suck big time" compared with browsers on Windows. Actually, I find that Mac to be an excellent web platform and my Windows using friends who have tried out my Mac - and I only have a 'slow' G3 500 - agree with me.

Well, maybe I was a bit harsh. I have explained my problems number of times.

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Discussion 3

First off, I think the situation east of the Atlantic is allot worse than in the US. That's why I may be experiencing problems virtually unknown to you.

Try accessing this site for example and tell me what happens! I'm yet to find a browser that can show me this commercial site.

On my Mac, to access my regular Web Sites I need 3 different browsers!! How convenient!!! Then there are at least 2 sites I can't even access from home. On the PC at work they all load smoothly. Then there are number of sites where I can't use all the features such as online commentary from soccer matches, Java based car configurators, online 'houses for sale' databases (I have to re-access the site and delete the catch if I slightly alter my search criteria.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:

Try accessing this site for example and tell me what happens! I'm yet to find a browser that can show me this commercial site.

On my Mac, to access my regular Web Sites I need 3 different browsers!! How convenient!!! Then there are at least 2 sites I can't even access from home. On the PC at work they all load smoothly. Then there are number of sites where I can't use all the features such as online commentary from soccer matches, Java based car configurators, online 'houses for sale' databases (I have to re-access the site and delete the catch if I slightly alter my search criteria.

You are quite right about that site... I have not been able to open it properly on Mozilla or on IE (the only two browsers I keep handy - I'll dredge up my copy of Safari and try that later), but I have to say that this does not happen to me often. Just for comparative purposes I'll also try it on my Windows IE tomorrow at work and let you know.

If this was a regular problem for me, I guess that I would be pissed off too...but it just has not been. What about others here at AI?
  • Reply 26 of 45
    with all due respect, Aquatic, Safari 'apes' the UI designs of such browsers as galeon (tabbed browsing, google-bar, etc) and others. I've been doing the tabbed browser thing since (wild guesstimate: ) 2000 or 2001.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:

Don't fool your self. The sad fact is that all the Mac web browsers out there suck big time. The Mac is great, OsX is great, the whole Mac concept is great. But as a web surfing tool the Mac simply SUX. Blame it on MS Java, blame it on lazy web developers (that don't bother testing their sites on a Mac), blame it on whatever you like. If you like to browse the net fast, with no compatibility issues, the only way to go is Windows. Hopefully this will change, but right now it's just a simple matter of fact, the Mac isn't quite up to it

And get ugly-ass non-anti-aliased text? I'll stick with the mac.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

You are quite right about that site... I have not been able to open it properly on Mozilla or on IE (the only two browsers I keep handy - I'll dredge up my copy of Safari and try that later), but I have to say that this does not happen to me often. Just for comparative purposes I'll also try it on my Windows IE tomorrow at work and let you know.

Well, I tried it on Safari later, and it also did not display. I just tried it on IE at work, and I can now see the page ("Gør et historik kup" ), but I did have some problems as I tried to access other parts of the same site, causing the 'debug' to run.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

non-anti-aliased text?

Double negative. It's called aliased text, FYI.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    I agree with this point about smoother fonts on the Mac. IMO this is where the Mac leapfrogs the PC. This may be the main reason I stick with the Mac. But the compatibility issues are serious and just have to be dealt with
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Windows XP has full anti-aliasing....are u guys still using WIn95 or something?
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by neurokid

Windows XP has full anti-aliasing....are u guys still using WIn95 or something?

Nope, Windows 2000. My son has Athlon machine running XP and and it's nowhere near the Mac in terms of font smoothness
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:

Nope, Windows 2000. My son has Athlon machine running XP and and it's nowhere near the Mac in terms of font smoothness

Do you have Clear Type enabled? XP should have great anti-aliased text.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by neurokid

Do you have Clear Type enabled? XP should have great anti-aliased text.

I'll ask him, if it's not, where can it be activated? In the control panell? Sorry for this dumb question I'm just not much into Windows
  • Reply 35 of 45
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think you have to right click the desktop, select Properties, and go to the Advanced tab and look for something called "Effects." I don't remember the exact procedure but I do remember activating it myself. Just start by right clicking the desktop and go from there, you should find it.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I think you have to right click the desktop, select Properties, and go to the Advanced tab and look for something called "Effects." I don't remember the exact procedure but I do remember activating it myself. Just start by right clicking the desktop and go from there, you should find it.

Yeah, it's under Display Properies, under Appearance, then

Effects -- tell it to use ClearType to smooth fonts. You can also change the system fonts in the same window (under Advanced/Item/Icon) to pick the font type and size that you think looks best with ClearType (i like Tahoma, for example).

It's true that Windows does not make it easy -- Windows will never be easy -- but XP does allow for a lot of customization if you know where to look for it.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    I have Clear Type running on my work PC and it does not look anywhere near as nice as the Apple rendering of anti-aliased text. Sorry Microsoft, try again.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Safari under Panther works with this site now
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Safari under Panther works with this site now

Good news. This is because they have re-written the site. Maybe my constant mailing has worked It also works in Jaguar now. This site doesn't however

Actually, all the Ford sites in Europe are basically the same. The German site was the first to get the overhaul and I'm sure the rest will follow. This is great news. Not that one site is such a big deal but it's great that companies at least are taking compatibility issues seriously
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

This site doesn't however

Seeing as it breaks also in Mozilla/Netscape, I think Ford's web team has bigger problems on its hands than "just" Safari support. They must be doing some really stupid things with that code. I would look at it to try to figure out what they're doing, but I'm feeling lazy now.