Connecting to printer on windows machine

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, my dads laptop has the printer hooked up to it. Its a Lexmark Z53 printer. I went to print center, but couldnt figure out how to select it as my printer. Anyone help me out?

Dont really see a tech support area for hardware, so i hope this is right forum.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I've been able to do this, but I need more information to help you. What OS is your dad's computer running (98, ME, 2k, XP)? How are you connected to his computer? It's imminently doable, but I just need a little more info to help.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    His computer is running windows xp. I can connect to his computer yes, its over a router. Im on osx as you already know im sure. If you need any other info let me know.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

His computer is running windows xp. I can connect to his computer yes, its over a router. Im on osx as you already know im sure. If you need any other info let me know.

You need to make sure that he is in the same workgroup you are. This is what got me when I was trying to do this. If you haven't changed anything in your OS X settings, you should be in "workgroup" by default. Make sure his computer is in "workgroup" too. Once you've done that and you're sure that he is actually in that group, you can go onto the next step.

On the XP box:

In the "printers" control panel, right click the printer you want shared. Enable sharing and give the printer a name. I call mine "hp". You can call it whatever you want, but simple is better because there's less chance of screwing it up.

In the Users control panel, create a non-privileged user. I created one called "printer". Give it a password.

So, now the printer should be set up to be shared on the windows side.

On the OS X box (this applies only to 10.2 - it's much easier in Panther):

Open print center. Option click the "add" button. In the dropdown menu, click advanced. There should be a setting for Windows sharing through Samba or something like that. Enter the path to the printer like this: \\\\[user created on XP box]:[password for that user]@workgroup\\[computer name of the XP box]\\[printer name]

That should do it. I'm not on Jaguar right now, so I can't be 100% sure about everything. If this doesn't work, post the problems here. It would help if you could take screen shots of the print center if my directions didn't map on to what you're seeing.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    stupid question, he is already on a workgroup, how do i change mine or set it on osx. Im on jag btw, wont have panther till friday or whenever its delievered.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

stupid question, he is already on a workgroup, how do i change mine or set it on osx. Im on jag btw, wont have panther till friday or whenever its delievered.

Like I said, if you haven't changed it, I believe you don't need to do anything. But if you want to check, go to /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access. Authenticate and then double click on SMB.

Also, it might help to do a search in the Genius Bar for this. I posted a thread a while back about it. (look under torifile and printer sharing).
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Im trying your method now. So we will find out. This doesnt really relate to what we were talkin about. But is there a to view all computers on the workgroup now that im on it? I know how to connect to my mac from windows, but not the other way around, hehe.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The only options in the drop down are....

AppleTalk

Directory Services

IP Printing

Rendezous

USB

Then there is an EPSON for each types of those above.

And Lexmark injet networking or someting lke that.

So what now?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

The only options in the drop down are....

AppleTalk

Directory Services

IP Printing

Rendezous

USB

Then there is an EPSON for each types of those above.

And Lexmark injet networking or someting lke that.

So what now?

Did you option click?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Im trying your method now. So we will find out. This doesnt really relate to what we were talkin about. But is there a to view all computers on the workgroup now that im on it? I know how to connect to my mac from windows, but not the other way around, hehe.

cmd+k in the finder (or connect to server in the "Go" menu of the finder).
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Option click what? Im lost
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Option click what? Im lost

option click "add" in print center. That will give you the additional selection of "advanced" in the drop down menu.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Alright, now there are lots of options under advanced. But none liek your ltalkin about.

AppleTalk

AppleSocket

Internet Printing (http)

Internet Printing (ipp)

LDP/LRP

USB

ZeroConf
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Alright, now there are lots of options under advanced. But none liek your ltalkin about.

AppleTalk

AppleSocket

Internet Printing (http)

Internet Printing (ipp)

LDP/LRP

USB

ZeroConf

Hmm. That's odd. I could have sworn that's what I did... Ok, here's the next thing to try. Open up your web browser and type: http://127.0.0.1:631/

Are you on AIM? it might be easier to do this over IM rather than here....

my sn is [email protected]
  • Reply 15 of 16
    i dont see you on, message me at EternalScooby
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I thought about it some more and I remember that I had to make some changes to my SAMBA configuration to get those options I was talking about.

cd /usr/libexec/cups/backend (enter)

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool smb (enter and type your admin password)

ps -ax | grep "cupsd" - note the first number on the first line

sudo kill -HUP [that number on the first line]

Now, do the stuff we were trying to do before. That *should* give you the Windows printer via SAMBA option in the fields.