Cubase/Logic on the new powerbookz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yizzo,

I've got a new 15 1.25 on the way and was wondering if anyone has used one for audio/midi seqencing? how does it run with the increased cpu & ram speed????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nintnint Posts: 5member
    I'm using Cubase SX on a 17" PB, no worries at all, except that running any more than 6 VSTi's at once gives problems. But I just convert them to audio tracks when that happens, and the problem goes away! Haven't done any real live recording yet, as I'm still waiting for my interface to arrive.

It's getting a heck of a lot more use than my old PC DAW, the portability gives me a lot more opportunity to fiddle with it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    666666 Posts: 134member
    just got sx and yeah, how good are vst instruments! i've always used an atari and hardware and the portability of being able to write music on nothing buy your pb is too good!!! wrote a song on a flight to melbourne, rad!!!

even if the sound quality is crappy in the plug in, your midi info is there for your hardware when u get home. orsum!!!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have tried DP4.1 with Atmosphere and Reason on my new 1.25 15"

and well,,, its complicated - Reason and DP4.1 seem to be very comfortable with the level of power on the 1.25 but Atmosphere is very CPU intensive or just badly optimised for OS X - CPU maxes out very quickly with just two or three instances of the plugin running - my guess is that is an optimisation issue rather then the PB being a weakling... i'll post as soon as i try with a few other plugins... need to try with SX too..

BTW you guys using SX2 or the original SX?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    I'm running Logic 6 on my 17" 1.33Ghz PB

Works a treat!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nint

I'm using Cubase SX on a 17" PB, no worries at all, except that running any more than 6 VSTi's at once gives problems. But I just convert them to audio tracks when that happens, and the problem goes away! Haven't done any real live recording yet, as I'm still waiting for my interface to arrive.

It's getting a heck of a lot more use than my old PC DAW, the portability gives me a lot more opportunity to fiddle with it.

On my GhzTi I have to really try to run out the processor in Logic, even when using waves. I regularly have have ~10 exs', a few fm7s, a couple as-1 channels, maybe a waldorf ppg softsynth and quite a few plug-ins including waves. In fact, it's so hard for me to overload the processor I often will write a whole song and not use a single audio track.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

On my GhzTi I have to really try to run out the processor in Logic, even when using waves. I regularly have have ~10 exs', a few fm7s, a couple as-1 channels, maybe a waldorf ppg softsynth and quite a few plug-ins including waves. In fact, it's so hard for me to overload the processor I often will write a whole song and not use a single audio track.

Cool stuff!

While on the subject - how do you deal with the unbelivable noise that the 1 Ghz Ti generates?

I have just impulsivly bought one of those (apple refurb for a very good price) and its lovely (in some ways better then my new AL 15") but the fan noise from this baby drives me nuts...

Any ideas on how to reduce this?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

...but the fan noise from this baby drives me nuts...

Any ideas on how to reduce this?

Yeah, a closet, a vga and a usb extender, and a usb hub. These Macs are way to noisy for a control room. Good thing extenders are so cheap these days. Not as many options with DVI however. Good reason to go VGA in the music biz still.