Novell for mac? to use at my high school

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have 3 computer classes at my school. All in the morning time. The first 50minutes im in this 1 room, the teacher likes macs, he does video editing on them for his other classes. Then i go down to vocational school for 2 classes in same room, that total for 2 1/2 hours about. The school uses novell to connect to the internet. I noticed Novell Client isnt made for mac. Has anyone else tried or been able to connect to novell system, to use the internet. Cause my teachers want me to bring in my new 17inch powerbook. They would lock it up whenever i wasnt there to use it. Thanks. But if anyone knows if i can connect, or get around it. Let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Novell isn't used to connect to the internet, per se. It's used to connect to the network, which gives you a connection to the internet. That aside, there is a Novell client for mac, but it's not free. I think it's made by ProSoft. I haven't used it, personally, but I've heard bad things about it. I think there may be a sourceforge project working on it, too. Google might help.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    alright, thanks. I know it doesnt give you intenet directly. I just figured itd be easier to say as i did, hehe. I thought i saw something about novell for mac in the past, but at novells site i didnt see anything. Only thing im worried about putting a novell client connector on here is, i know on windows machine, you cant UN-install it later on, and it gets in to everything you do kinda, if you get what i mean. Ill check sourceforge and google, if anyone knows of 1 themselves please let me know, and if youv used it before.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

alright, thanks. I know it doesnt give you intenet directly. I just figured itd be easier to say as i did, hehe. I thought i saw something about novell for mac in the past, but at novells site i didnt see anything. Only thing im worried about putting a novell client connector on here is, i know on windows machine, you cant UN-install it later on, and it gets in to everything you do kinda, if you get what i mean. Ill check sourceforge and google, if anyone knows of 1 themselves please let me know, and if youv used it before.

Click on the word "google" in my first post. I've done the search for you.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, we have the Prosoft Novel client at my work. last i heard it was OS9 only.

but new versions of novel (5 and higher) don't need a client for OSX.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

yeah, we have the Prosoft Novel client at my work. last i heard it was OS9 only.

but new versions of novel (5 and higher) don't need a client for OSX.

Novel 5 or higher as in the version the mainframe would use, that everyone connects to? if so, i dont think ours has that, or is there a way i can find out?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    My school teacher who has macs said its novell 6 that you dont need it, he said our school has the version, just hasnt put it on yet, there slow as heck. So when they do put version 6 on, how does it connect? Does it just know or what.