CONFIRMED - FontBook worst app. ever...

newnew
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I finally thought I would be able to drop crappy old Suitcase and convert the new FontBook app. that comes with Panther. But not by far.

Having had the chance to play around with it the Last GM seed of Panther, all I can say is this app is useless for professional use.

Adding large numbers of fonts to it makes the whole system stall, including the finder.

Working with the preference set to "not copy" fonts totally messed up the several-thousand font collection I was working with. In the end I had to reinstall everything. Good thing I tried this out on a test system.

One of the stupidest things this app. does is to enable every font you add to it. The whole point of a font app. should be to be able to browse the fonts before you enable them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I finally thought I would be able to drop crappy old Suitcase and convert the new FontBook app. that comes with Panther. But not by far.

Having had the chance to play around with it the Last GM seed of Panther, all I can say is this app is useless for professional use.

Adding large numbers of fonts to it makes the whole system stall, including the finder.

Working with the preference set to "not copy" fonts totally messed up the several-thousand font collection I was working with. In the end I had to reinstall everything. Good thing I tried this out on a test system.

One of the stupidest things this app. does is to enable every font you add to it. The whole point of a font app. should be to be able to browse the fonts before you enable them.

Wait...I thought the whole point of a font app was to browse the fonts before you disable them. Not everyone is like you. (Although it would be nice to have a pref option to choose if it should be added enabled or disabled by default.)
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I don't think the font app is meant to replace pro font programs like suitcase. It's just there to make it easier for the average user to add and remove fonts.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I would like to see an OS and apps that don't choke when you have thousands of fonts. Guess that won't happen. Oh well.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Wait...I thought the whole point of a font app was to browse the fonts before you disable them. Not everyone is like you. (Although it would be nice to have a pref option to choose if it should be added enabled or disabled by default.)

What I need is to be able to quickly browse through my font library, and enable the fonts I find useful for my particular job. I would guess most designers do.

FontBook is totally useless for this purpose. And it's SO INCREDIBLE SLOW. worse than anything I've experienced form Apple so far. I mean I thought iPhoto and iMovie were kind of slow, but this !¤"#"@#@!!!...

oh, well, back to $99 Suitcase. It's really not that bad...
  • Reply 5 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well looks like it's Suitcase 11 for us. Suitcase isn't so bad once you get used to it (moving from ATM that it). We have about 2000 fonts in out master font list and are going to use suitcase server to standardize all our font usage. That's one thing Apple's font book can't do.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Yeah, kind of like ATM - I am so pissed that ATM is not going to OSX. I hate the way suitcase and pretty much all other font apps handle fonts. Talk about inefficiency...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i think the point of fontbook was so that a new user could get a font, have fontbook put it in the right places, and spare apple the support phone call of "i just got a font and put it in my fonts folder. why isn't it available?"

how much you wanna bet they get that a hundred times a week?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i think the point of fontbook was so that a new user could get a font, have fontbook put it in the right places, and spare apple the support phone call of "i just got a font and put it in my fonts folder. why isn't it available?"

how much you wanna bet they get that a hundred times a week?

I think rok hit the nail on the head. Suitcase is for pro's with thousands of fonts that need to be at our fingertips. Fontbook is for the soccer mom that makes the weekly newsletter for her sewing circle (how's that for a stereotype!).
  • Reply 9 of 17
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Not exactly. Apple is advertising Font Book on its OS X page as a feature for "creative professionals".

Font Book, 2nd on the list.

I wasn't expecting auto-activation, or perfect performance with thousands and thousands of fonts, but I'll definitely be disappointed if Font Book can't intelligently handle, say, a thousand fonts.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Not exactly. Apple is advertising Font Book on its OS X page as a feature for "creative professionals".

Font Book, 2nd on the list.

I wasn't expecting auto-activation, or perfect performance with thousands and thousands of fonts, but I'll definitely be disappointed if Font Book can't intelligently handle, say, a thousand fonts.

Then prepare to be dissapointed, 'cause it definitely CANNOT do anything like that. All the observations posted already are correct, its useless for professional design uses...worse than useless, actually.

Also, I find that Suitcase X1 is not ready for prime time with Panther. I suspect they'll have to update it, 'cause at least in my testing, with a demo version, admittedly, it wasn't nearly as stable as 10.2.1. In fact, I think it had some kind of rather egregious memory leak, but I'm not tech savvy enough to say what or how.

There is no doubt that Suitcase needs help, and I had some hope for X1, but frankly I don't see it offering much in the way of new functionality, even if it is updated to be stable.

Like many here, I suspect, I'm still dreaming of a real replacement for ATM on OS X.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    can you not do the following:-

FontBook Prefs -> Disabling a collection turns off all fonts in the collection.

Then, click the down arrow on all fonts, and choose computer, then click disable... then LEAVE your computer to dissable them all.

I just tried this on my PB, and there were about 20 left that did not disable, I assume these were in use by my running applications.

Oh and I dont think that 7B85 is the gold master, so we will just have wait and see what happens....
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Font Book = a 1.0 release.

I'm pretty sure things will get smoothed out over the Panther point releases. Early adopting is a bitch sometimes. Watchagonna do.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Sounds like typical Apple/NeXT software development to me. (That's not a slight, just an observation.)
  • Reply 14 of 17
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solfege

Then prepare to be dissapointed, 'cause it definitely CANNOT do anything like that. All the observations posted already are correct, its useless for professional design uses...worse than useless, actually.

Man. Guess I'll have to stick with Suitcase until Font Book is up to snuff.

Suitcase is all right, but yeah, things could be so much better.

Can Font Book handle, say, about 1000-1500 collected (disabled) fonts, and 250-300 active ones? What *can* it handle before it slows down to non-usability? Is installing fonts the problem, or browsing them after they've been installed? And what are your specs?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

"i just got a font and put it in my fonts folder. why isn't it available?"

Hey rok, I've had this problem, do you know the solution?

I have multiple computers with QuarkXPress Passport 4.1 and ATM on them. I didn't set them up and they often have a lot of problems. I reinstalled everything on a couple of computers, but I don't have the ATM installers (I might be able to get some old version of ATM, but I don't want to if I don't have to). I copied the fonts from another computer, but I can't get Quark to recognize them. Do any of you know how to fix this? I'll be moving to Mac OS X Panther soon. Can I copy our few but important fonts from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X? We will be using Indesign, I hope it works well. This is the first time I have worked with fonts. I thought it would be more straight forward than this.

Alexander the Great

P.S. I think I did something wrong when I used a quote. Do you do the formatting manually or is there a right way to quote someone?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Oh and I dont think that 7B85 is the gold master, so we will just have wait and see what happens....

7B85 is GM. Mark my words. (Unless it's Server, in which case it's 7B86 that's GM.)

It may have a couple of glitches, or behave oddly on a few machines, but name one initial release of a major system upgrade that didn't.

At a certain point, you just have to say good enough, ship it, and roll any remaining bugfixes into a point release.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I am royally irked...

I admit that I don't trust the new built-in Font Book very much, however if someone can figure this out I'l bow down to you...

Running panther fully updated.

Last night I try to load a folder of script fonts some 10-15, none of them loaded... "0" in the folder set.... Suitcase XI, fine...uninstall, reinstall suitcase 10.2.2 (since it was faster in window redraw and other aspects). Still no love on those "pure" script typefaces...

So I figure... just for ships-n-bubbles...lets try fontbook... loaded... no questions asked available in every app... I was like WTF???!

the challenge...someone explain this connundrum to me...

I'll be willing to email you the fonts for your own testing purposes if you like...

one last whine: all I care for is a program that will load my fonts, i don't care for autoactivation. I just want them loaded when I activate them and available to be used in any app without having to restart that app... people please!