iPod's and airplane's

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Read the manual for my iPod, and it mentioned altitudes. Are they ok to use in airplane's, or should you keep it in your bag whilst mid-air?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gustiferjones

Read the manual for my iPod, and it mentioned altitudes. Are they ok to use in airplane's, or should you keep it in your bag whilst mid-air?

I used my 1st gen one on a flight from New York to Australia. Note that the cabin of an aeroplane is pressurised such that the altitude appears much lower than what it is. So I think its perfectly fine to use.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    All of the iPods work just fine on planes. Plenty of field experience to prove it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thanks a bunch to the both of you...forgot to take into account the whole pressurization of the cabin...thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    just dont' jump out of a plane with them while parachuting...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Commercial jetliners are pressurized for 10kft (~3300m), +/- 500 ft (175m), in general.

Of course, the O2 levels are *incredibly* low, but hey, you get what you pay for. (Cockpit has highest O2 levels on the plane, first class next, and the farther back you get, the lower the levels, in general.)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Commercial jetliners are pressurized for 10kft (~3300m), +/- 500 ft (175m), in general.

Of course, the O2 levels are *incredibly* low, but hey, you get what you pay for. (Cockpit has highest O2 levels on the plane, first class next, and the farther back you get, the lower the levels, in general.)

Lucky the iPod doesn't have to breathe then
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

And what have you been smoking? Most airlines use a differential pressure schedule to maintain its pressurization. In most cases this isn't above 8300 pressure altitude. The cockpit on most aircraft does get the air at a slightly higher pressure, to keep smoke from the cabin out of the cockpit in case of fire. The O2 levels aren't affected by this. The O2 content is about the same anywhere in the airplane.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cylon was closer ...

Commercial airliners are pressurized to a differential (example = 8.35 psi on a 737). So the higher the airplane actually is, the higher the "apparent" cabin altitude. At 41,000 feet, a 737's cabin must will be about 8,600 feet (the O2 masks drop automatically if the cabin altitude goes much higher than 10,000 feet.)

And the entire cabin is pressurized identically... from the cockpit to the aft galley and even the cargo areas.

And we continually pump external air into the cabin to maintain pressurization, so all this crap about "stale air" in jets on long flights is a bit over-blown !... the air is very DRY, but very fresh.