iTunes Windows is catching on at my college...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When I first got my Powerbook, I pulled up iTunes and it picked up 3 shared music libraries on my dorm's network. Since iTMS Windows was released, that has increased to 17. There are only about 200 people in the building. That's a pretty impressive increase in such a short time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Interesting, at my school, I haven't noticed any difference. Still only six other playlists on the network. I guess people are happy with Winamp, or whatever crap they use.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    My daughter reports that at her school her shared lists went from a few to around 40. Its catching on quite well.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Mine has gone from 5 to like 20
  • Reply 4 of 25
    im doing my best at my college to spread the news of apple--i gave a speech today for speech class on mac myths, and i made sure i threw in a little ad for itunes windows i love being a mac user
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I'll bet if this type of file sharing was more popular a couple years ago, the whole music piracy craze wouldn't have been nearly as widespread and "damaging" to the music biz.

the RIAA probably wouldn't have gone nuts either.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    The number of shared libraries here has increased from about 40 to just over 100. Go 'SC!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Windows users at my school are required to have a firewall installed on there computer in order to be given access to the Internet. It helps reduce the number of viruses and P2P. I guess the firewall will block iTunes Music Sharing also if you don't open port 3698, like I did with my firewall.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Does iTunes find the shared libraries automatically? Do I have to configure something? Maybe no one in my dorm uses it.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 9 of 25
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    In the iTunes Sharing preference you can turn on the options to 1) search for shared libraries/playlists and 2) share your own.

Screed
  • Reply 10 of 25
    How do you see the amount of libraries are shared on the network?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

How do you see the amount of libraries are shared on the network?

Heh... nevermind
  • Reply 12 of 25
    It has ballooned to between 30 and 40 people from about 10 originally. I have been setting up all of my friends solely for the selfish reason of being able to play their music....oh well!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

Heh... nevermind

How many you got Matt? I was going to ask you the other day.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I've gone from seeing 2 or 3 lists to now seeing 5 or 6 lists.

Woo? \
  • Reply 15 of 25
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I've gone from seeing zero lists to...well zero lists.

Maybe its because the pepsi promotion won't work in Canada?

Maybe people here are just happy with winamp.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    There are a couple people in my hall that have good music. I'll have to set them up. Finally I will have some music to play.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 17 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It should turn sharing on by default. No it shouldn't..I just want more music.

More Libraries are showing up! Probably around 10.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I recently picked up on a shared library in my neighborhood. I have no idea who's it is, but I'm trying to find out.

Ok, so its not in a dorm, but I'm only in eighth grade.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    I've seen an increase from 3-4 all the way up to I think 10 at one point.

Its exciting!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I got a girl to install iTunes on her Windows machine last night. She has a ton of music. Now I have a ton of music too. I think I might start buying music. I'm thinking of buying one song a day. Eventually I will have a large library. I was reading up on the restrictions and I was disipointed to find out that I can't share purchaced music without burning and then ripping my music. Does anyone know a way around this? Can I "burn" or rather decompress a copy to my hard drive and then rip it again? I don't to have people copy my music, but I do want to share it so that they can listen to it.

Alexander the Great