iBook G4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 235
    Powerbooks also have Superdrive available.
  • Reply 22 of 235
    Hold the *ucking phone. I didn't see this coming.
  • Reply 23 of 235
    Does anybody know if the new iBook has an updated keyboard like the albooks, or if it is the same old one?

Thanks!!
  • Reply 24 of 235
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

The PowerBook also has twice the L2 cache...

whoop-de-****ing-do

The 12" PowerBook is DEAD. Dead like a Cube.
  • Reply 25 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

Is it just me or does this completely muddle the product line or what? Explain to me why I would by the 12" PowerBook now. This is crazy, but good.

After I saw the updates, I started to wonder the exact opposite; why would anybody choose an iBook G4 over a 12" PB? I like the 12" form factor, and now Apple leaves me with only two choices, the 12" PB, or the new, low-end iBook.

With the Powerbook, for only an extra $500 USD, you get:
    • An extra 200MHz

• 256 MB soldered to the board (iBook: 128 on board/128 expansion)

• 1.256GB memory ceiling (iBook: STILL 640)

• 40, 60, 80 gig drive (iBook: 30, 40, 60)

• Built-in Bluetooth

• DVI

• Double the L2 cache

• GeForce FX Go5200 vs. Radeon 9200 and

• Hackless Monitor Spanning

Not to mention the 12" PB is smaller and lighter, and it's on Rev B.

Apple should have waited for IBM's G3+Altivec and given us that 13" Widescreen iBook we want so much.

If things keep going the way they are, my next laptop (this one's still got a few good years left in it) will definitely be a PowerBook.
  • Reply 26 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

yup g5 powerbooks... here in january for sure

Will that be before or after they solved the problems with the current line-up? IOW: dream on.

• Reply 27 of 235
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Now I wonder if all those rumours about a new "form factor" for the iBook are true or not. Maybe some wires got crossed along the rumor line and new "form factor" is actually a reference to a new chip for the iBooks.
  • Reply 28 of 235
    Indeed there were rumors (rumours) about a new form factor but those I read indicated not until late next year. Some correctly indicated an upgrading of the insides and a possible G4 chip. Apple will definately have a great 4th Quarter!
  • Reply 29 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by Phroggy

GeForce FX Go5200 vs. Radeon 9200 and

Whatever. Gimme an ATI card any day. The NVidia 5XXX series are crap. But seriously, this is enough to make me consider ditching my beloved Pismo...
  • Reply 30 of 235
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    I must say that this highly entertaining, watching everyone wake up, see this news, go "Huh?" and then post their thoughts. Good fun to read over breakfast
  • Reply 31 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

My PowerBook 15" SHIPPED THIS MORNING!

welcome to the wonderful world of Apple
  • Reply 32 of 235
    if it had FW800 i'd get one
  • Reply 33 of 235
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

My PowerBook 15" SHIPPED THIS MORNING!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I feel your pain, mine did too. Oh well, life goes on.

I'd add more cliches, but it's much too early.
  • Reply 34 of 235
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    why the fvck would apple have not changed their fp for this? I go to the front page, and I see a big advert for a free program, FOR WINDOWS! I would think that the iBook line is more important than iTunes+iTMS. And yet iBook G4 gets a small mention in the bottom corner.

I really like the PBG5 possibilities now though. I was trying to be pessimistic, and hope in a year. Now it looks far too likely for January.
  • Reply 35 of 235
    Just ordered my 12" iBook G4!

iBook 12.1"/800MHz/Combo drive

384MB DDR266 SDRAM

AirPort Extreme Card

60GB Ultra ATA drive

Love the new specs. I've been waiting to replace my 600mhz iBook since the new Powerbooks came out. If Apple hadn't updated the iBook I probably would have bought the 12" PB after Panther shipped. Very pleased that I waited (it was hard)

Cheers
  • Reply 36 of 235
    Never mind about the keyboard--I looked online and it looks as though it is still the same keyboard as the old iBook.

Too bad...the new one is great!

\
  • Reply 37 of 235
    Kickhaha I would feel real sorry for you if you had ordered a 12" P'book but since you got the 15 I dont think you should feel too bad, it is so much better then these puppies. You wont regret it... Having said that I've just ordered a 12" G4 ibook for my girl (I will be so popular tonight...)
  • Reply 38 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple Unveils New Generation G4 iBooks Starting at Just $1,099

CUPERTINO, California?October 22, 2003?Apple® today unveiled its new iBooks featuring PowerPC G4 processors....Perfect for today?s digital lifestyle, every new iBook also includes iLife?, Apple?s integrated suite of award-winning digital lifestyle applications that features the latest versions of iPhoto?, iMovie® and iDVD? and iTunes®....

How can these include iDVD if they do not have a Superdrive?

The 12" Al Books are way better -- better g4, more memory, Superdrive, etc.

But g5 Powerbooks are coming -- and I told you so!
  • Reply 39 of 235
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    Just bought a powerbook g4 12" with a combo drive and got it last friday. Can I return it? Should I return it if I can and get the ibook? I'm kinda bummed about this. I wish I waited.
  • Reply 40 of 235
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Exactly, I'm comparing the specs of the 12" iBook and 12" Powerbook and wondering why exactly I paid $500 extra. The shiny aluminum? The better video out option? The fact that the AluBook is lighter? The fact that it's more compact?

Wait. These are adding up... \

Well whatever...

Screed

12" PB is still 200 MZ faster than 12" iBook, as well. But still-- for the price? I have absolutely no use for an iBook, but I want one anyway. Bad.

CV