iTMS idea...old but still true

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.macobserver.com/columns/t...20030929.shtml

I think it would be a very good idea for Apple to partner with other companies by having iTunes preinstalled... maybe even the default player (if it eventually supports WMP)

But I think it rings truer then anything else...Apple wanting to keep it theirs, controlling everything, pioneering alone. I think that if they do that, eventually MS's 2nd rate service will grab hold of the market just like their second rate OS. Sure it isn't necessarily cheaper, but it is MS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Yes, Apple's lead with the iTMS reminds me a lot of the lead Apple had with the graphical user interface in the 1980s. Fortunately, Steve Jobs isn't going to leave Apple like he did back then, which I think had a lot to do with the Macintosh's failure in the 90s. Without, Jobs, Apple has no focus or vision. With him, I think Apple can take on Microsoft and win.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Yes, Apple's lead with the iTMS reminds me a lot of the lead Apple had with the graphical user interface in the 1980s. Fortunately, Steve Jobs isn't going to leave Apple like he did back then, which I think had a lot to do with the Macintosh's failure in the 90s. Without, Jobs, Apple has no focus or vision. With him, I think Apple can take on Microsoft and win.

"The war with Microsoft is over" - Steve Jobs 1997
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

He was only talking about the desktop, and there can always be another war.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The opportunities for this are quite limited. Apple has the iTMS deal with AOL, but because most if not all companies have to appease the Microsoft Gods first, they won't make deals with Apple if they get even a little pressure from Redmond. Companies just can't afford to get on Microsoft's bad side. If MS decides that Apple can't be allowed to partner up, they will make sure that no one else partners up with Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

He was only talking about the desktop, and there can always be another war.

Right but Apple is only going to go after areas that are yet to be dominated by Microsoft. If they play leap frog well enough they will always be onto the next big thing by the time Microsoft takes over. I just don't see Apple going head to head with Microsoft on anything, indeed I hope they don't bother. F'em, Let them have the desktop market. Or "whatever" market. Apple will innovate their way to the next paradigm. Sure, Apple will still make Macs and Mac OS, but that needn't be the breadwinner.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

"Begun the music war has"