Rush In Rio (DVD/CD)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Picked up both at Best Buy for $35 today

PheNOMenal. They are of course my favorite band, but I think anyone who appreciates great musicianship would love this. The crowd for this show was jacked, the boys were tight, just amazing to watch (and listen to, the CD has a couple bonus tracks from other shows on the tour).

At least check out the CD, it covers a wide range of their catalogue.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    don't trust rock-bands that don't sing about girls
  • Reply 2 of 22
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I saw Rush many years ago and that was when I realized that I don't like their music . . . sure they're technically fine musicians when they stick to the notes that they rehearsed and never deviate in any creative fashion whatsoeverfrom that script . . . but you know what . . . .*yawn*

Besides I don't read Terry Brooks style fantasy anymore . . .and can't really get into, what now appears to me as pretty silly, their 'Byt-or and the Snow Dog' mysticism . . . . and then there is that pretension towards being profound . . . I just don't think that they get anydeeper than a primer text on basic existentialism . . . and even then they take some of the basic principals and use them word-for-word as lyrics.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I saw Rush many years ago and that was when I realized that I don't like their music . . . sure they're technically fine musicians when they stick to the notes that they rehearsed and never deviate in any creative fashion whatsoeverfrom that script . . . but you know what . . . .*yawn*

Besides I don't read Terry Brooks style fantasy anymore . . .and can't really get into, what now appears to me as pretty silly, their 'Byt-or and the Snow Dog' mysticism . . . . and then there is that pretension towards being profound . . . I just don't think that they get anydeeper than a primer text on basic existentialism . . . and even then they take some of the basic principals and use them word-for-word as lyrics.

hehe. I think I've said the same thing. Although I thought Presto wasn't all that bad.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

don't trust rock-bands that don't sing about girls

Brevity is the soul of wit SKMDC, though " Some things hurt much more,much more than Cars and Girls" Paddy Macaloon of the mighty Prefab Sprout 1988.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Alright you naysayers. . .

I'm not a huge Rush fan, but I do like Rush enough to contemplate buying a live CD if it's that good. But $35 for a DVD is more than I'm willing to spend.

Seriously.

• Reply 6 of 22
    It was $35 for the DVD and CD together. Separately, the DVD (2 DVD's) is listed as $24.99 and the CD (3 CD's) is $19.99.

And yes, they did have a more sci-fi, prog rock feel back in the 70's, but that was a while ago

And if you mean cheesy power ballads, then no, they do not do songs about girls. They DO, however, often write songs that explore relationships. Something which I find somewhat refreshing . Not that I'm adverse to the occasional heavy-metal love song .

I just listened to the whole CD today at work while I was doing some data entry, and it was fantastic. The crowd is so into it, singing along to everything. Just a great, great performance.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

And if you mean cheesy power ballads,

lol.

no, i didn't mean that. i didn't mean THAT at all.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Brevity is the soul of wit SKMDC, though " Some things hurt much more,much more than Cars and Girls" Paddy Macaloon of the mighty Prefab Sprout 1988.

i was making a joke. YES didn't sing about girls and i entrusted rick wakeman with my car once, and he was loaded.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    I am gonna buy the DVD. I hear from a reliable source that it's awesome.

Quote:

saw Rush many years ago and that was when I realized that I don't like their music . . . sure they're technically fine musicians when they stick to the notes that they rehearsed and never deviate in any creative fashion whatsoeverfrom that script . . . but you know what . . . .*yawn*

What are you talking about? Rush's studio songs are creative and complex to begin with. The arrangements, the times....complex. Rush "stick to the notes" enough not to mess up the structure of the song but to say they sound the same live is just BS. I've been to many concerts where the musicians "don't stick to the notes"enough and sound like ass. In fact "improvisation" for a lot of musicians is just an attempt to make the songs sound similar to the studio versions. If you like improvisation so much, try jazz.

I saw Rush this last tour and if someone were to tell me that Rush don't deviate in any creative fahion from the script I'd laugh in their faces. Some songs had parts added at the end....there were medleys, the guitar and bass parts were different in EVERY song etc etc. I saw them twice this last tour and the songs, from the set list to the way they were played were different yet keept the structure almost intact.It takes very talented musicians to pull that off. Even the innovative graphics were different.

http://www.derivativeinc.com/Company...-tour/main.asp

http://www.nvidia.com/object/rushtour.html
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Thats why I like them so much as a band.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some very good bands out there that do "improvisational" type stuff, even aside from jazz. I like the Dave Matthews Band, which is known to kick out the jams, and the reason it works is because they are first and foremost good musicians.

And I also saw Rush on their last tour, and I can concur with the above poster that they did not always stick to the script. What was most amazing to me was the energy with which they played, and also how they would segue into some little interlude in the middle of a song (e.g. guitarist Alex Lifeson's now traditional stream of consciousness babble during the instrumental La Villa Strangiato), and then just drop right back into the song full throttle. I've seen them on the last 3 tours and this is by far the best show I saw (in terms of both how "on" the band was and how psyched the crowd was).

What was also gratifying was seeing some other people my age at the shows (I'm almost 28 ), and even some younger fans. Pretty amazing considering how they pretty much exist on Classic Rock radio and no where else nowadays.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Good points Van. I agree about DMB although their music allows for more improvisation than Rush. It's much "simpler" although they're EXCELLENT musicians.

I was at Staples and Irvine Meadows for the shows(my good friend Gigi is a HUGE fan(plus she's hot)) and I saw a lot of young fans. I just talked to her and she is PSYCHED about how awesome this DVD is. Of course she's biased unlike my other friend. That's 2 great reviews now though.

By the way, regarding airplay...well, is that surprising considering the state of corporate radio? Besides Rush is not a radio friendly band. 6-10 minute songs are not good for radio lol. Even our "classic" rock station hardly ever plays Rush, and KLOS that used to play them a lot(a lot of Rush fans here in LA) doesn't that much anymore. Rush may very well be the largest "underground" band in the world lol.

By the way, what was Lifeson's La Villa babble about in your show? At Staples where I had front row seats it was about bees. He's hilarious. At the other show I couldn't make it out

$35 for a double CD and double DVD is pretty good. Best Buy here I come.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    At the show I saw (Tweeter Center in Mansfield, MA) he went on this extended riff about quitting smoking and how tense it was making him...I can't remember the whole thing now but it was funny. At one point he said something about Neil (Neil Peart, their drummer for those not familiar with the band's lineup) and on the vid screen you see Neil crack a grin a mile wide. Great to see after all he has been through.

The Alex Babble on the DVD is more spacey...but still funny.

The fact that you have a hot female friend who likes Rush is huge. Marry her at once! If you can believe it, my gf and I met in college because I had a Rush poster on my dorm room door (the cover of Grace Under Pressure actually) and she simply HAD to meet whoever lived there . We've now been together 8 years .
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

The fact that you have a hot female friend who likes Rush is huge. Marry her at once! If you can believe it, my gf and I met in college because I had a Rush poster on my dorm room door (the cover of Grace Under Pressure actually) and she simply HAD to meet whoever lived there . We've now been together 8 years .

LOL..yeah, just like you married her right away eh? My friend is hot, but we have some...umm...differences of opinion. After the Staples show I did see this GORGEOUS elegantly dressed asian chick hurrying alone to her car. I wanted to go after her but it ocurred to me that she might get the wrong idea and mace me or something. I wouldn't mind a HOT Rush loving Brazilian chick though. Oooh meu garotinha
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I am gonna buy the DVD. I hear from a reliable source that it's awesome.

What are you talking about? Rush's studio songs are creative and complex to begin with. The arrangements, the times....complex. Rush "stick to the notes" enough not to mess up the structure of the song but to say they sound the same live is just BS. I've been to many concerts where the musicians "don't stick to the notes"enough and sound like ass. In fact "improvisation" for a lot of musicians is just an attempt to make the songs sound similar to the studio versions. If you like improvisation so much, try jazz.

I saw Rush this last tour and if someone were to tell me that Rush don't deviate in any creative fahion from the script I'd laugh in their faces. Some songs had parts added at the end....there were medleys, the guitar and bass parts were different in EVERY song etc etc. I saw them twice this last tour and the songs, from the set list to the way they were played were different yet keept the structure almost intact.It takes very talented musicians to pull that off. Even the innovative graphics were different.

http://www.derivativeinc.com/Company...-tour/main.asp

http://www.nvidia.com/object/rushtour.html

Well. that settles it.... clearly you have no idea what you are talking about, you know nothing about musical 'structure' and your taste in music bears the hallmarks of an inexperienced individual or one who is simply simple . . . (make note... the over the topness here is intended . . .not entirely serious)

I tried to be nice and said that it was a matter of 'taste' . . . but truly there is nothing of real taste where Rush is involved . . .they are a pretentious group who love the idea of 'technical proficiency' and yet don't know what to do with it . . a big drum set and fast precise playing is by no means the only qualities that make a great drummer . . . and all the others are completely absent with Rush . . . tight technique is interesting but is definitely not the core of creativity . . . .

Listening to that vocalists voice with any kind of enjoyment takes a real effort of good will on the part of the listener . . . I mean when was the first time you stopped telling yourself 'yeah his high pitched castrato sounds kinda funny but if you just go with it . . .its gud..." well..... it isn't gud!! it sounds like a cat in a bag pretending to be a philosopher and trying to play 'tricky' time signatures in order to sound like a 'sophisticated' musician . . .rather than really just being one . . .

I liked them alot . . . I had all their albums and then it came to me in a FLASH (especially after I started listening to real music: Coltrane, Syd Barret, M Davis Mahler, Sex Pistols . . . etc) they have some good points but they their ability to play 'complex' music does not lift them beyond being mediocre . . . and in fact, their reliance on that technique reveals a empty and stunted creativity . . .in my opinion:

as Nietzsche said: "I could only believe in a God that dances" and I could in no way imagine actually dancing, even intellecctually, to Rush . . . they are cramped and awkward and without elegance beyond their flashy this-and-that . . .

Gratuitous "complexity" does not mean sophisticated musicianship, not does it mean EXCELLENT musicians, thankfully I outgrew that illusion on the first strains of La Villa Stangulata way back when I saw them live . . . there are a million studio musicians who can play each of their songs note for note . . . just like they do in their concerts . . . like metronomes

. . . Progressive Rock died under its own weight a long time ago only it continued as a stinking corpse

besides Rock and Roll is always best when it is dumb and simple and about sex . . at least in its rythmic inspirations
  • Reply 15 of 22
    :lmao: right Pfflam, you have proven yet again that you're simply talking out of your posterior. I doubt like you claim you own ANY Rush CDs. Your lame and ignorant "criticism" proves it.So you hate Rush, big deal.At least try to make sense in your criticism.

And no, Lee's nasal singing does not bother me. This is rock and roll...try opera next time. By the way, you might wanna tell Modern Drummer (they said Peart is one of the best ever and the most influential rock drummer in history) that Neil Peart is not very good. Or bass players such as Flea and Les Claypool(who are on record saying they were influenced by Lee) that Lee is not that good. Or Guns and Roses who once said they would "never be as good as Rush".

You must be one of the few to call punk music "creative". I like the Sex Pistols, but to call them creative is laughable.

So tell me , the Sex Pistols lyrics make you dance intellectually? lol...too funny. Your comments make sense when you later admit you like dumb music. By the way, so that we're clear...I am not the huge Rush fan...I just happen to like their music. Implying that they're just out to impress would be very flattering to most musicians wouldn't it? . And about studio musicians being able to match Rush's music note for note...no **** sherlock. That could be said about any band.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    By the way pfflan, tell me. If progressive rock is so dead...how come a band like Rush played 70 dates throughout North America(averaging 13,000) and finished the tour with 3 shows attended by over 125,000 fans in Brazil in 2002? Yeah, stick a fork in them.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    To counter my criticism by mentioning "Modern Drummer" HAHAHA

THat's like getting musical ideas from guys who work at a music store!!!!

And naming Les Claypool and GUNS AND ROSES!!!!!! *boing* HAHAHAHAHAHA

Mention some real great drummers: Elvin Jones, or Van Tieghem or Mitch Mitchel . . . just to name a few

If you don't understand why the Sex Pistols are not creative . . . even thoough they could never play the same licks as Neil Pert then arguement is over . . . you don't have anysense of music history or influence or power

. . . and, I mentioned intellectual dance, not in reference to the Sex Pistols, as they would be physical dance, but because great Classical music or even some of the good progressive stuff from the seventies is not about physical dance but is still about dance and playfullness and yet still can be profound . . . not portentious and burdensome like ponderous progressive rock that should have given up the ghost in the mid nineties . . .

I had records... I said as much . . .you are riught... now I have NO Rush CDs . . .

you don't get it . . . I mentiones 'studio musicianship' because that is one of the reasons so many people claim that Rush is so great . . . they are complex and musically challenging . . . Whereas I think it really dry and phony not that challenging at all . . .

and by the way . . Just because thousands go to see a phenomena does not mean the phenomena is vital or thriving or powerful or influential in the long run . . . after all Wayne Newton outsells Rush 3-2 in concert goers and who cares?!?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

To counter my criticism by mentioning "Modern Drummer" HAHAHA

THat's like getting musical ideas from guys who work at a music store!!!!

Better than getting them from you. Since you mentioned guys who work at record stores I have another "testimonial" for you. While at Tower Records Sunset I asked the guys there where the DVD was and they had nothing but very good things to say about it. Of course the drummers who read Modern Drummer and vote in their polls are also wrong. Nice Pfflan....lol

Quote:

And naming Les Claypool and GUNS AND ROSES!!!!!! *boing* HAHAHAHAHAHA

Mention some real great drummers: Elvin Jones, or Van Tieghem or Mitch Mitchel . . . just to name a few

yeah, those are just some names.....I could give you more like Metallica and Colaiuta . Yeah, you know your stuff You keep mentioning musicians anddrummers who are not rock musicians or drummers.I wonder why that is. Yeah, Jones, great jazz drummer... so are Weckl, Colaiuta . Nice try
    Quote:

If you don't understand why the Sex Pistols are not creative . . . even thoough they could never play the same licks as Neil Pert then arguement is over . . . you don't have anysense of music history or influence or power

Sorry, forgot about -your- amazing influence and power. lol Get a clue.
    Quote:

. . . and, I mentioned intellectual dance, not in reference to the Sex Pistols, as they would be physical dance, but because great Classical music or even some of the good progressive stuff from the seventies is not about physical dance .

Yeah, mentioning classical music in a rock topic. Best you could do? lol

Quote:

you don't get it . . . I mentiones 'studio musicianship' because that is one of the reasons so many people claim that Rush is so great . . . they are complex and musically challenging . . . Whereas I think it really dry and phony not that challenging at all . . .

Another "masterful" comeback by Pfflan. So the "so many people" who think that Rush is "so great" are wrong and you're right. You're all over the place now. Keep trying....it's funny.
    Quote:

and by the way . . Just because thousands go to see a phenomena does not mean the phenomena is vital or thriving or powerful or influential in the long run . . . after all Wayne Newton outsells Rush 3-2 in concert goers and who cares?!?

So Rush are after all a "phenomena"? I couldn't agree more. Pretty damn good musicians. By the way, good to see you're resorting to yet another non-rock "act/name" in a lame and desperate attempt to prove a point about a topic you clearly don't know much about. You're just a bitter guy about Rush for some reason .Did they take your lunch money or something?

VanDeWaals: I got the DVD. That crowd was INSANE! The DVD totally rocks. The older they get the better these guys play. To record the show for a DVD on the last date of the tour with all the technical problems they had, including not being able to start setting up the whole 10 pm show until 2pm and going on stage without a sound check is very impressive. Testament to how great these guys are. What a show.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I for one tend to listen to 'MUSIC" not just "Rock" music.

And I specifically point to Elvin Jones because of his style of play which is intense and yet not caught up in the corners of technical tedium . . . .

'Metallica' -hahahaha . . . . you are really on a different plain entirely . . .

as for being a 'bitter' guy . . .no . . .but I do enjoy pulling novice chains every once in a while . . . .
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

I for one tend to listen to 'MUSIC" not just "Rock" music.

And I specifically point to Elvin Jones because of his style of play which is intense and yet not caught up in the corners of technical tedium . . . .

'Metallica' -hahahaha . . . . you are really on a different plain entirely . . .

as for being a 'bitter' guy . . .no . . .but I do enjoy pulling novice chains every once in a while . . . .

Well, the topic was about a rock band and you couldn't come up with anything meaningful rock related which only proved you don't know much about the subject. Don't be so bitter man, and try to stick to what you know something about...whatever that is.