Re: the intro of the new imac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i've read a few things around here where you guys have suggested you knew that the new imac was coming - in that you expected the flat screen and you expected the g4 upgrade, and that it was only a question of when apple were going to introduce it.. but did anyone really know a week before mwsf that the new imac was going to be released there?

isn't the scenario with the powermac upgrades the exact same as it was for the imacs? we all knew that better technology was just around the corner for the imac, and we all know that better technology is coming to the next power mac G-"whatever", if only because of the release of the xserve.. it is only a question of "when" will it be released?..

so with that in mind, wouldn't it be a huge mistake for apple not to unleash the new pm's at macworld? an event that attracts a lot of consumers AND media coverage and an event that, if they were to release a new pm, would provide far more exposure for a new machine than releasing it outside of a mw..

for these reasons, i find it hard to believe the rumour sites when they say that the pm line won't be updated at mwny.. why wait a little under 4 weeks to release the new pm's on august 12, when really all that they may achieve in that time is the ability to offer immediate shipping.. and don't tell me its because apple are waiting so they have a chance to clear stock, because if they wanted to do that, they'd simply reduce the price (who knows, maybe thats what they'll do at mw when they annouce the new machines)

what would be better for apple?

1) waiting until august 12, maybe sell a few more outdated machines while at the same time miss the biggest opportunity to push the new pm..

OR

2) introduce the new pm at mw, get maximum exposure AND if necessary reduce the cost of the outdated pm's even further to ensure they clear their inventory, if it is in fact over stocked..

thats why i think apple will announce the new pm's at mwny.. they may not ship july 17th, but they will be announced july 17th..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I for one agree with you. I think the current PowerMac line did not do well because Steve did not demo them off at MacWorld SF. I do think MacWorld SF was dedicated to the iMac, and it had the right to do so, and nothing more. This MacWorld? New PowerMac's and Jaguar is my bet

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: Jared ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Makes sense.

Good point.

If 'power'Macs are going to get a 'significant' speed boost then New York would be the place to showcase it...

This close to a Mac show...it seems absurd not to take advantage of boosted iMacs and 'power'Macs to show off just how 'well' Jaguar runs, eh?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

<strong>Makes sense.

Good point.

If 'power'Macs are going to get a 'significant' speed boost then New York would be the place to showcase it...

This close to a Mac show...it seems absurd not to take advantage of boosted iMacs and 'power'Macs to show off just how 'well' Jaguar runs, eh?

Lemon Bon Bon</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah. I mean, even if the new iMacs are 17", is the media really gonna care that much? I have a copy of a publishing mag at home, and they had like 10 pages of MWSF01 coverage.

But it could be like MWNY01, and simply nothing is ready yet to show off.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 13
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Or maybe Apple doesn't want the Powermacs to get too much coverage. If they have nothing but a speed bump to 1.2 GHz, and the same FSB, then I think they would intro them like the last ones, VERY quietly at a special event.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote]If they have nothing but a speed bump to 1.2 GHz, and the same FSB, then I think they would intro them like the last ones, VERY quietly at a special event. <hr></blockquote>

Well, THAT would barely rate a press release.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Steve needs a powermac that can kick pentium ass in at least one fair seeming bake-off rigged or not.

By fair seeming, I don't mean a test where a $3000 dual CPU PowerMac wins a split decision against a single CPU Sony that costs half as much. They migth rig it (a bit) but any idiot can see the down side your top PRO machine barely edging a half price consumer machine.

They gotta have something where a single CPU mac beats the best single CPU x86 and where a Dual beats the best dual x86.

If they can't do that, then you won't see a PM at MWNY.

A 1.2Ghz G4, DDR266, Jaguar optimizations, and hotter graphics would improve the picture a bit, but it probably wouldn't be enough to provide the convincing fake-off Jobs needs.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>But it could be like MWNY01, and simply nothing is ready yet to show off.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think if new pro machines don't show up, then that's the answer - they aren't ready.

Apple must be pretty desparate to get a new machine out, in terms of sales and prestige. They aren't going to sit on it if it's ready to go.

If they have a lot of old inventory, then they're going to have to cut their losses and discount them - if there's no new case then this will be easier to do (a new machine sitting on a desk is a new machine, it only really starts looking old when a case revision comes along - who's going to open it up and say "whoa, old MoBo"!?).
  • Reply 8 of 13
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Concerning the original posters comments, yes we knew the iMac was coming at MWSF 01. We were pretty confident that was going to happen due to rumor site coverage. We didn't know the complete details, but we were sure an LCD iMac was coming. (And we certainly got confirmation of the iMac when Time got leaked a day or so before the expo! )

The rumor sites are predicting a pretty lackluster show, with one of the highlights being a 17" iMac. I hope Apple realizes that's not going to be enough to woo the crowd. I really want to see a PM revision, but it doesn't look like it will happen.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by Big Mac:

<strong>

. I really want to see a PM revision, but it doesn't look like it will happen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why?

Because rumor sites quoting rumor sites say so?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by zaz:

<strong>

Why?

Because rumor sites quoting rumor sites say so?</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol

Actually it's because, rumors sites are quoting A rumor site which is basing what it writes on how HE feels [cough... dePlume] and not on any real source.

• Reply 11 of 13
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Everyone swore by an iMac 17" (when it was CRT based). The rumor would crop up before every MacWorld. Did we get it? No. Sure an LCD is easier to implement than a CRT but it would not be a wise business practice to update a model that is still brand new to the consumer arena.

Not many people are going to dump their new flat panel iMac's and rush out and get a 17" iMac. If they were to update in about a year or two when they could have better specs then people would have a reason to upgrade "oh and it would come with a 17" that is even better"

Just my 2¢
  • Reply 12 of 13
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    I'm surprised so many posts imply that that Apple is in a position to decide whether to announce the new PM now or in August. Not very many people seem to realize that Apple could have just missed a deadline. It's not like Apple has all these products just setting around waiting for the proper MacWorld for them to be released. Yes, there are instances where Apple would have the product ready to go and decide to wait (like overstocked past product, bad economy, not proper PR coverage etc). But then, I would guess, there are just as many if not more instances where Apple simply doesn't have the product ready yet.

So all of this talk about Apple deciding whether or not to release the new PM could be mute. If they can't do it, they can't do it.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Agreed, it would be silly to pass up the exposure at the expo and wait until August to introduce new Power Macs, unless you don't have demo units for expo attendees to try out. If the demo units aren't ready, then wait.

Despite the late rumors, I'll be surprised if new Power Macs are not introduced this week. I also expect to see an iMac with a 17" display, a higher capacity iPod, a long introduction to Jaguar (and release date) and maybe even some other surprise. MWNY 2001 was pretty disappointing for a lot of people. I hope Apple can do better this year.