Microsoft needs .Net for Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Your point about doing interface design in C++ was bizarre, though. You can, if you really want to, but it's not like Apple doesn't offer options with slick tools backed up by rich and mature frameworks.

The point comes from experience. Granted I am always learning and am always ready to be plesantly surprised

Quote:

Where are the C++ application frameworks here? You're looking at WebObjects, which is a client-server application design and deployment suite built 100% in Java. Its frameworks have been stable and mature for years now (dating back to when it was implemented 100% in Objective-C - it's never had anything to do with C++).

The only C++ application frameworks for the Mac that I'm aware of are third party solutions like MetroWerks' PowerPlant.

Obviously I'm a newbie to mac development or I wouldn't be asking these sorts of questions. I don't know what WebObjects are. I'm going to go do some research right now. That sure sounds nice to me.

Quote:

Huh? I remember Java back in the 1.x days, and it was so buggy that our class once fixed a bug by changing the name of a local variable. In other words, there was a bug in the symbol table implementation! I've never even heard of that in a C++ compiler.

If anything, managed languages (or, if you prefer, 4GLs) are more vulnerable to quality of implementation issues. Another such thing cropped up with a "managed language" we were using at work, called Forte. They'd implemented arrays as hashes, and in one update they borked the hashing algorithm so that every eighth member of an array vanished into the ether. This, in a $50,000 toolset. At least in a 3GL like C++ if some library has a bug I can drop down and roll my own replacement, and expect it to run well. (In Objective-C, I can pose the replacement as the buggy original, and write all my code as if I were using the original framework! Then when the vendor fixes the bug, I can yank out my workaround without changing a single line of code.)

Again, these arguments come down to experiences. We have different experiences. My most successful and problem-free deployment had a Swing client (as opposed to DHTML client, please note that I am a professional enterprise developer and was once, long ago, a home coder). The problem that is most vivid from my unmanaged code days was that frameworks could crash at random locations, in and out of the debugger. These sorts of crashes came from buffer overflow. I have not done this sort of development in awhile, so I would certainly be game to trying new technologies upon colleage recommendations.

Quote:

I have to wonder why you're so fixated on C++ on Apple's OS? It's there. It's available if and when you need it. But none of Apple's frameworks use C++, or even target it as a primary development language; nearly all of Apple's frameworks are mature and battle-tested at this point (there are, and will always be, bugs, but the same is true of Java and .NET). You can use Objective-C, Python, Ruby, Java... and C++ when and if it makes sense to. Most people who use C++ on the Mac use the pure language, without any framework dependencies, for cross-platform code, and at that point you're very unlikely to run into bugs in the language implementation (unfortunate caveat: Microsoft's C++ compiler).

I'll be the last person on Earth to defend Borland, as their C++ Builder has given us a world of pain over the last year and a half. But that has nothing to do with C++ (Borland's actual language implementation is quite good, it's just their IDE and frameworks and makefiles that suck...) and everything to do with the crap you're linking it to.

I'm content to know that the frameworks actually work, and that if they don't, the language will allow me to efficiently route around them - because I will have to do that at some point on any non-trivial project. And if a particular library or framework sucks (*cough*AWT*cough*) I'd like to have the option of not using it.

I have never developed for Apple. I have no friends or colleages that have ever developed for Apple. So your assertion that the frameworks actually work is valueable to me and will be used when making decisions about what types of coding to try in the future.

Ideally, I would like to own, use, and develop on a Mac. But I cannot afford to ignore the windows and linux markets. So when you start talking about code that will not easily port to these platforms, you begin to lose my interest. Again, I know nothing of WebObjects and will go to research what problem this framework(?) solves.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    OK, here it says that WebObjects uses swing to implement its client application guis:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...iew/index.html

But it looks kick-a**... It claims to deploy to virtually any J2EE server or the WebObjects J2SE application server.. Very cool. They want $699 for it, though!!! I know, I shouldn't be so cheap....
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:

How do you accidentally override a method, and why isn't the solution to change or delete the offending method?

dead on....

borland got it right the first time around with Delphi

& then C++ Builder

C# is a clone of borlands work & it still dosent get some

things right

i wont mention mfc which was a complete piece of crap

compared to other framework libraries

btw do the vb coding genius's realize that vb was in direct

response to delphi 1.0 & microsoft still managed to botch

that up.

i'd much rather see borland port over delphi/c++ builder

to os x

they still make the best compilers out there & their tools

are really good
  • Reply 24 of 43
    The only C++ application frameworks for the Mac that I'm aware of are third party solutions like MetroWerks' PowerPlant.

QT by Trolltech

In other words, there was a bug in the symbol table implementation! I've never even heard of that in a C++ compiler.

this from ms vc++ 6.0 compiler

for (int i=0;i<10;i++)

in the above case the local variable DOES NOT go out

of scope when the loop exits much to peoples dismay

not exactly a symbol table bug but i digress

I'll be the last person on Earth to defend Borland, as their C++ Builder has given us a world of pain over the last year and a half. But that has nothing to do with C++ (Borland's actual language implementation is quite good, it's just their IDE and frameworks and makefiles that suck...) and everything to do with the crap you're linking it to.

& what is the prob with the ide ?

grin~!~ sounds like a bad carpenter whining about their tools

the vcl does have a few bugs but its still a damm good

library.

why not paste the problem your facing & ill see if i can help
  • Reply 25 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

OK, here it says that WebObjects uses swing to implement its client application guis:

But it looks kick-a**... It claims to deploy to virtually any J2EE server or the WebObjects J2SE application server.. Very cool. They want $699 for it, though!!! I know, I shouldn't be so cheap....

$699 for WO is cheap. When it was a NeXT technology, it cost $15K!
  • Reply 26 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

QT by Trolltech

That's another third-party framework, yes. PowerPlant was only an example of one available framework.

Quote:

for (int i=0;i<10;i++)

I did disclaim Microsoft's C++ compiler.

Quote:

Gee, thanks.

The problem with Borland's IDE? Look at the damn thing. The make facility doesn't always know that files have changed. The search-and-replace dialog's behavior was implemented by someone who doesn't know what a mouse is. The IDE is always trying to helpfully (and silently) insert code that breaks the application completely, forcing me to mark main files read-only and modify them at my peril. The IDE occasionally forgets that VCL exists. The only way to get a speedy compile is to drop to the command line. The keyboard shortcuts are random holdovers from DOS. Oh, and lately the IDE has decided that I can't use the debugger on my own DLLs.

The contractors we brought in to help us out with this app estimated that Borland's arbitrary bugginess and baffling behavior added $80,000 to the cost of the project.

As for the "bad carpenter" insult, stuff it. I make deadlines despite this piece of crap. I've had to burn weekends and stay up nights to do it, debugging code by hand, but I do it. That doesn't excuse the pathetic behavior of this sad excuse for an application, nor does it change the fact that I'd get more done with make, gcc and vi, let alone a proper IDE.

Nevertheless, as I said, at least the C++ compiler compiles C++, which is more than I can say for MS', and at least VCL isn't MFC. I've heard that I'd like Borland's tools a lot more if I used Delphi, and I'm willing to accept that. But so far it's been nothing but a PITA, and I'm getting approval to port the whole thing over to CodeWarrior and wash my hands of Borland altogether.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

borland got it right the first time around with Delphi

& then C++ Builder

C# is a clone of borlands work & it still dosent get some

things right

if they got it right the first time, then how can it still not be right?

Quote:

btw do the vb coding genius's realize that vb was in direct

response to delphi 1.0 & microsoft still managed to botch

that up.

Do you remember Delphi being referred to as "VB killer?" Why would they call it that if VB wasn't out yet?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

the vcl does have a few bugs but its still a damm good

library.

why not paste the problem your facing & ill see if i can help

Might I ask how many client machines your product was deployed to? You have two ways to go about debugging the code... You can either put a TTextBox on a blank form, compile and run the executable, then play around with cutting and pasting in the text box until it crashes, then knock yourself out trying to debug the VCL. Alternately, you can download any commercial product that uses the TTextBox or any component derived from it, and have at it.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Thank you Amorph. I didn't have the patience to respond to such absurd claims. Borland C++Builder appears to be a great product at first glance, but has lots of issues that make it a major no-no for developing things on a set deadline.

I, too, never claimed anything about Microsoft C++. In fact I don't even believe I mentioned it. Nor did I mention MFC. Thankfully, I was never an MFC programmer. Back in those days I was a mainly a Unix developer. I programmed directly to the XWindows API. When I did windows development, I skipped the MFC nonsense and went right to the Windows API.

But, alas, I have had some experience with pointer languages. I've developed a number of very useful applications in C and C++. But I shy away from pointer-language based frameworks. Its not that a good framework couldn't be developed, its just that the ones I personally have experience with were nothing but trouble.

I don't know how Objective-c differs from C++. It would be interesting to find out. I would also be willing to try any of Apple's development products, as long as I have someone with me that has done it before and can attest to the integrity of the API.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Might I ask how many client machines your product was deployed to? You have two ways to go about debugging the code... You can either put a TTextBox on a blank form, compile and run the executable, then play around with cutting and pasting in the text box until it crashes, then knock yourself out trying to debug the VCL. Alternately, you can download any commercial product that uses the TTextBox or any component derived from it, and have at it.

the "product" was based around multiple platforms

qnx & win32

it was a SS7 implementation for a very large telco

it was "deployed" in over 29 countries & at last count

was being used by over 40 million people every time they picked up a phone

tools used were vc++6, watcom on qnx & bcb5

the other product is a security app deployed to 300+ customers..ie customer is a dealer who may have 1 or more

users

tools delphi6 & vc++ for some dll's

any other questions ?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    no offense meant or intended

heres my humble suggestion use delphi in conjunction

wil bcb & I guarentee it will work fine

bcb is a superset of delphi & its vcl implementation

if you are writing a common db based app then i really

recommend delphi along with bcb

btw u guys do realize that neverwinternights was done

in bcb or its toolkit
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

the "product" was based around multiple platforms

qnx & win32

it was a SS7 implementation for a very large telco

it was "deployed" in over 29 countries & at last count

was being used by over 40 million people every time they picked up a phone

tools used were vc++6, watcom on qnx & bcb5

the other product is a security app deployed to 300+ customers..ie customer is a dealer who may have 1 or more

users

tools delphi6 & vc++ for some dll's

any other questions ?

ok.. I'm digging out my software... I have Delphi Developer v2.0 and Borland C++Builder Professional v4.0 (er, excuse me, Inprise. haha). I never had any problems with Delphi developer, but it was too late to go back and rewrite the software from the ground up in Delphi after starting in C++Builder.

In case you haven't noticed, the prices are out of control for their new versions. Add to the fact that I have never, in all 11 years of professional experience, come across a job opportunity for a Delphi developer, and that explains why I'm unwilling to spend that sort of money on the tool.

Had C++Builder worked as advertised, I would have thought it was the bee's-knees, because I felt comfortable in the Delphi IDE. It was a bad decision for Borland to release a buggy version of C++Builder, because all it did was take developers away from Delphi, which sounds to be a much more robust product. Then, after kludging around in C++Builder, Java came out and there was money to be had for jumping on the bandwaggon. My Delphi was left in the dust.

Edit: Guessing from your deployment history, VCL was never used? Is that true? This is the framework I had problems with in C++Builder.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

no offense meant or intended

Its alright. It was an off the cuff remark.. Just make a mental note that developers get rilled up when you insult the quality of their code.

Quote:

btw u guys do realize that neverwinternights was done

in bcb or its toolkit

Never head of it. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

$699 for WO is cheap. When it was a NeXT technology, it cost $15K!

Not to derail this into a WO thread... but while that is cheap compared to the cost of deployment in the NeXT days... $700 is still $700 more than it costs me to deploy things like ASP, JSP, etceteras. I really want to like WebObjects, I really do. But I can't find a client that will either spring for the $700 deployment cost, or a client that will host their site on a Mac/Slowlaris/Windows box. If they cut prices for deployment again, get O'Reilly to write a freaking book about it (I mean, come on, there are NO resources for the damn thing), and support it on Linux... I'll be happy. I'll be happy because I could actually use it then \
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Not to derail this into a WO thread... but while that is cheap compared to the cost of deployment in the NeXT days... $700 is still $700 more than it costs me to deploy things like ASP, JSP, etceteras. I really want to like WebObjects, I really do. But I can't find a client that will either spring for the $700 deployment cost, or a client that will host their site on a Mac/Slowlaris/Windows box. If they cut prices for deployment again, get O'Reilly to write a freaking book about it (I mean, come on, there are NO resources for the damn thing), and support it on Linux... I'll be happy. I'll be happy because I could actually use it then \

Its alright, this post got derailed a long time ago. I was abole to find a few books on WebObjects at Amazon, including this one that got five stars: WebObjects 5 for Mac OS X: Visual QuickPro Guide (032111549X).. Granted its not O'Reilly.

But you have a very valid point... About the only way I'm going to be able to use WebObjects is to start my own company and front the investment money myself, because I've never come across anybody using it. I just went to Monster and selected half the cities in my state (FL) and still came up with no selections... I think if I evaluated it and it looked good enough, I might front the money.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    www.bioware.com for neverwinter nights

its an rpg & it was made using bcb6 for win32 & linux

your versions of delphi & bcb are way way too old

my guess is you guys ran into issues with older vers

of bcb im currently using d7 & bcb6 & yes the vcl

was used very very heavily on the gui side of things

theres a lot of job postings for delphi depending where

you look.

theres tons of apps written in delphi

TOAD from www.quest.com

Quicken

All products from EMS software

heck ive lost count of where delphi is used.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

www.bioware.com for neverwinter nights

its an rpg & it was made using bcb6 for win32 & linux

your versions of delphi & bcb are way way too old

my guess is you guys ran into issues with older vers

of bcb im currently using d7 & bcb6 & yes the vcl

was used very very heavily on the gui side of things

theres a lot of job postings for delphi depending where

you look.

theres tons of apps written in delphi

TOAD from www.quest.com

Quicken

All products from EMS software

heck ive lost count of where delphi is used.

I'm not seeing these jobs. Granted I'm looking on Monster and its possible that Delphi is limited to the smaller shops, which may not use monster to find new employees. Heck, when I type "Delphi", it provides a couple links, such as "Delphi Developer" and "Delphi Programmer"... But those links bring up a list of .net jobs and/or Java jobs.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

for (int i=0;i<10;i++)

Just to add some humor from the new guy....

That error reminds me of programming in C for an embedded systems class. You know, where you have to declare int i above the for loop. Makes me wonder where MS got their vc compiler from.......I mean vc++. Yeah, that's what I mean...
  • Reply 39 of 43
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

How much do you want to pay? I've got a copy for sale.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Huh? Deployment is free and supports almost any J2EE server - it's the development tools that costs $700.

Btw. the price was $50K - not $15K.