Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 281 of 588
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    rickag: I still opt for the powerbook, because of the Superdrive.
  • Reply 282 of 588
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

rickag: I still opt for the powerbook, because of the Superdrive.

Your right, but w/ the $1101 I'd save over the Powerbook, in a very short time I'd be able to save up for a desktop G5 w/ a superdrive. Now, it'll be late next year(maybe longer) before I can get a new desktop. That's the

The good is that when I do have the money for a desktop Apple should have a 3.0 GHz G5 resurrected Cube w/ a standard size AGP 8X slot, one PCI X slot, a superdrive, FW800, USB 2.0, built in Airport Extreme all for only $1499.

I can dream can't I?
  • Reply 283 of 588
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Thats a good idea using the saved money for a desktop purchase, have to remeber this for my next purchase.

I hope they have the new laptops in store on friday, I would like to compare them with the G3 iBooks.
  • Reply 284 of 588
    Quote:

I didn't really need the G4, superdrive, etc. but decided I could extend the usefullness of the laptop to do basic home video editing and burn a few DVD's, until I could afford a G5 sometime late next year. Not the best solution but, well, then again.

Well, at least it was the most expensive solution.

If you think about it, those DVD's will kost you $100+ each!

• Reply 285 of 588
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, having a laptop that can run Jaguar with some decent specs really does put a damper on the point of buying a PowerBook.

if i had a choice between an iBook and low end G5 i know for a fact i'd go with the iBook/G5 combo over the PowerBook.

i love my G5 to death.
  • Reply 286 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

On 10/22 Now I can not change my order to an iBook

I believe Apple has a 10-day return policy, possibly excepting BTO computers, so you may have an out. I haven't looked into the new iBooks, but the 14" sounds like the right laptop if you don't need the superdrive. My suggestion: return the PB and save the $$.
  • Reply 287 of 588
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Poor quality control on a $2000 machine is unacceptable. Outsourcing manufacturing has created a less expensive but less reliable product. This is true for all companies, not just Apple.

Wheres Ralph nader when we need him? There needs to be a law forcing a 1 year parts AND labor warranty on every electronic device sold. Maybe that will wake up companies such as AT & T and GE which both make telephones so bad they are almost guaranteed to crap out. HP doesnt make printers as well as they used to, SONY doesnt make components as well either, and the list goes on and on...............................

Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Sadly, my 15-inch PowerBook has gone back to Apple. My battery life was horrendous and it turned into an oven after it was on for an hour and a half. It could flip it over and fry and egg on it. Since I purchased it through the Apple Store for Education, Apple said I could either get a replacement battery or return it. I was going to get the replacement battery, but then after a co-worker complained hers came with a broken latch, I decided to return it. I should wait until Apple gets the kinks worked out of the assembly line. The co-worker is going to return hers and downgrade to a 12-inch SD model. I might go that route too, and get the 20-inch display for when I'm here at the house. Sort of the pscates idea. I'm still not sure yet.

I liked the 15-inch. Maybe the 1Ghz model doesn't have as many problems? I don't know. Now that I'm back to square one, I go back and forth. Given the problems I have had over the last two years with the 15-inch models, I'm really conflicted. Although I must say this Ti867 I bought in March to tide me over has worked great. Fans are noisy at times, but that doesn't really bother me, and it doesn't run hot. For some reason, the Ti's screen feels more square than the aluminum 15-inch (perception).

• Reply 288 of 588
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    nm.
  • Reply 289 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I shoulda bought a G5.

I'm getting spotty again.
  • Reply 290 of 588
    Don't feel bad, I am on my FOURTH Powerbook. It was three very distinct white spots. It's too bad Apple got such crap for LCD panels. I am going to wait for Apple to address the issue and get a REAL fix until I send her in...or I'll just get a G4 iBook to hold me over for the PBG5...lol.
  • Reply 291 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

I shoulda bought a G5.

Me, too. I've got the top center one I mentioned a couple days ago, and it's been joined by one on the right and another starting on the left. I think I'll call Apple Care just to begin or reopen the case file. The more they hear from those whose PB's supposedly got repaired that there's still a problem, the better.

On a positive note, the logic board replacement definitely solved my boot-up problems and seems to have made a difference with battery time (I'm getting about 3 hours as opposed to the 2-if-I-was-lucky that I got before; although 3 hours is still not what I would have hoped for).
  • Reply 292 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

I shoulda bought a G5.

dude, that sucks. this is getting to be ridiculous. i had called last week to put my white spot issue on record, but im not parting with this until the LCD problem gets nipped in the bud. so far, mine isnt that bad altho spotty, and im not gambling for a worse display.

i installed more ram yesterday, and so far no issues on that end.
  • Reply 293 of 588
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Jeez, looks like I started one hell of a thread...

This is completely lame AND unacceptable.

Dork that I am, I ordered a 12" iBook yesterday as a holdover, "screw you until you fix the 15" problems" tactic.

But I canceled it early last night. Talked to a really cool, knew-her-stuff woman on the phone while canceling. I told her my reason (she asked, was curious). Then we had this cool 10-minute conversation about iBooks, PowerBooks, Panther and Apple in general.

I wasn't the one keeping the conversation going either.

I'm going to see what happens tomorrow night in Atlanta, regarding any possible promos/discounts on new gear.

If none significant, I'm simply going to buy accessories tomorrow night (base station, speakers, mouse, power supply, etc.) and wait another two or so paychecks (4 weeks or so) and buy a 15" mid/late November. Gives them roughly another month to see what's what and perhaps address this issue.

Also, Panther will be pre-loaded by then...

THAT'S the model I really want. The one I've saved for. The one I've dreamed about.

Cool as the new iBooks are, it's not truly what I want. I'd be wussing out.
  • Reply 294 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Talked to a really cool, knew-her-stuff woman on the phone while canceling. I told her my reason (she asked, was curious). Then we had this cool 10-minute conversation about iBooks, PowerBooks, Panther and Apple in general.

I wasn't the one keeping the conversation going either.

Wow, you talked to a real girl?!?!

Dude, you're the man!

What was she like? Wish I'd been there!

Socrates
  • Reply 295 of 588
    Haha.

Asshead.

THAT wasn't the point: the point is that she knew some stuff that I hadn't heard other Apple reps relate (and helped me with a decision or two).

Not that I'll tell you...
  • Reply 296 of 588
    I'm tired. The spots issue just makes me feel... tired.

I'm also going to wait before I try and send this machine in again. In the meantime, I'm trying to inform my EDU rep(s) what is happening, and how unhappy I am beginning to get. I say try, as my EDU rep has never replied to any of my emails (purchase inquiries in Aug/Sept), though an assistant finally did speak with me in Sept. Now I find out he has left Apple. I'm left contacting my former EDU rep (who now has other responsibilities). Note that my official Rep is in Sacramento (which is pretty much where I am), and the other two are in Austin. Go figure.

I'm really, really kicking myself for not getting a G5 dual.
  • Reply 297 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Haha.

Asshead.

THAT wasn't the point: the point is that she knew some stuff that I hadn't heard other Apple reps relate (and helped me with a decision or two).

Not that I'll tell you...

nonononono no no no NO no and NO.

You must tell us now. This is your thread. You d'man.

please?
  • Reply 298 of 588
    Don't freak. Nothing super critical that affects you. Just straight answers to straight questions and detailed explanations of how things work, certain policies, ordering/shipping procedures, discounts, rebates, scheduling, etc.

Things I've often wondered about. She seemed more open than most, that's all...Socrates.

• Reply 299 of 588
    Hmmm.

I just got a reply email from my rep. On something I emailed him about two weeks ago (he's telling me I can't get Up-to-date on 10.3). This of course was resolved to my satisfaction without intervention a while ago.

pscates, I thought you were going to say something like "free G5 duals to everyone who is suffering through the spots" or something similar. I guess I need more coffee.
  • Reply 300 of 588
    Aww c'mon man don't take it that way.

We're all geeks here right?

Socrates