Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 301 of 588
    Sorry to hear bout all your pretty major problems. But what would you do in my situation...?

I have 2 stuck pixels (red) left of centre on my screen.

I have some faint colour variation in the LCD as a whole (only noticeable on a black screen in a dark room).

My battery seems to get a bit too hot (after bout 6 hours use on a flat desk it is scorching to the touch on the base).

My 5400 HD quietly "squeaks" and I can hear the HD spinning in a silent room - always.

My battery has never shown over 2 hours remaining in the status bar, no matter what the setting.

These seem pretty meagre problems. I don't even know if they are all problems. Everything else is fine.

I phoned my Apple after-sales Rep today. I can get a replacement machine no questions asked because I am still in the 10 day period. Should I disrupt my University studies for 2 (or probably more) weeks to get a replacement?
  • Reply 302 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Don't feel bad, I am on my FOURTH Powerbook....

You're kinda lucky. You guys in the US can get 4 (faulty) PowerBooks in the time it takes everyone else in the world to get just the one.

A question though FILMMAKER2002 , how long were you allowed to keep hold of a defective PowerBook after having already organised a replacement to be sent?

Can you keep it for 3, 7 or 14 days until the new one arrives to replace it ? I'm in a similar situation and I can't afford to be Macless.
  • Reply 303 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    SOS, I'd get the machine replaced. That is the easy answer. Because of the time w/o a machine though, I'd wait, and go for a repair when you have the time. If you complain about all those things, chances are they will all get fixed, even if they say they won't. It may boil down to the chance that a new display has fewer pixel issues than the old, but chances are the new one will be flawless.

Of course, in my case, I went from 0 to 1 stuck pixels.
  • Reply 304 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

SOS, I'd get the machine replaced...

If ordered a replacement, would the new PB ship with Panther??!!!

That might swing it for me
  • Reply 305 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

You're kinda lucky. You guys in the US can get 4 (faulty) PowerBooks in the time it takes everyone else in the world to get just the one.

A question though FILMMAKER2002 , how long were you allowed to keep hold of a defective PowerBook after having already organised a replacement to be sent?

Can you keep it for 3, 7 or 14 days until the new one arrives to replace it ? I'm in a similar situation and I can't afford to be Macless.

I live 15 minutes from an Apple Store and I was very nice to the guys there (so nice I guess...they called me to set up an interview for a position there) Anyway. Since I bought the stock 1.25 SD 15" (aside from the one I ordered online that I cancelled because of these problems) I was able to just swap them right there at the Apple Store. Here's the rundown of my experience

Powerbook #1: 8...count em 8 white spots...

Powerbook #2: 4 white spots...not as bad, but I figured 3rd time's a charm.

Powerbook #3: latch problem (which I promptly fixed), 3 white spots, loose trackpad, loose battery, and a screw...A DAMN SCREW lodged into the rear casing just below the speaker INSIDE the hinge (Guys at the store were miffed by that one).

Powerbook #4: Best of all of them...best fit and finish, most sturdy and solid...BUT 3 nasty spots on my screen. So I am holding onto this one in hopes that the screen issues will be addressed and I will swap it when Winter Break comes up and hopefully I can get her back before I go to Italy for 3 weeks.
  • Reply 306 of 588
    I talked with the AppleCare rep and he sent me a box to send my computer back in. Hopefully the new screen won't have any problems.

I'm thinking strongly about picking up an iBook G3 700 12" for when I need to carry a computer around in a bag. The Powerbook already got dented slightly and if there is talk about the screen being affected by being carried in a bag, I'd rather not do it.

Too bad the lid already has a ding on it... think they might just replace the whole lid including the LCD?
  • Reply 307 of 588
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

I believe Apple has a 10-day return policy, possibly excepting BTO computers, so you may have an out. I haven't looked into the new iBooks, but the 14" sounds like the right laptop if you don't need the superdrive. My suggestion: return the PB and save the $$.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did call,10/22/03, as soon as I found out bout the G4 iBooks and was told I couldn't cancel and change becuause it was a BTO(re: I changed from 2x256MB to 1x512 ram chip to leave one slot open.). If I pressed it, I could probably change to the iBook for a restocking fee, but all in all I will be very happy with the Powerbook(actually more than very happy). Especially considering, when I do purchase a G5 tower, it will have matured with the OS and be substatially more machine for less money than available today.

Quote:

Esquare

Well, at least it was the most expensive solution.

If you think about it, those DVD's will kost you $100+ each!

That's OK, in the end I feel I'll have a laptop that will suite my needs substantially longer and provide more enjoyment over the iBook, which would have only really met the needs for my job.

Anyway there's no need to act smug or rub it in. And how do you know how much the DVD's will cost, it depends on how many I burn, right. Plus, I'll be able to do my editing at my leisure, while my wife and/or children use my current desktop.
  • Reply 308 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

I'm thinking strongly about picking up an iBook G3 700 12" for when I need to carry a computer around in a bag. The Powerbook already got dented slightly and if there is talk about the screen being affected by being carried in a bag, I'd rather not do it.

That's inexcusable. Why do you think Apple makes Powerbooks...TO BE PORTABLE. If you can't carry your $2500 machine around without worrying about it getting f***ed up...then Apple has big problems.
  • Reply 309 of 588
    Quote:

I was able to just swap them right there at the Apple Store.

Damn Apple supply problems and the lack of Apple Stores outside of the US. Seriously, You've probably been through more 15 PowerBooks than most resellers in London, no less, have seen in a fortnight...

So I should return my PB? Out of the four you have tried, does the HD make a noise in all of them? I mean ANY noise - listen to it in a completely silent room try and describe it to me (please).

Thanks
  • Reply 310 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

[B]I believe Apple has a 10-day return policy, possibly excepting BTO computers... /B]

According to the Apple after-saes rep I talked to a few hours ago, BTO products can be returned aswell within the 10-day period. In the UK at least. No questions asked.
  • Reply 311 of 588
    Quote:

I shoulda bought a G5.

I'm getting spotty again.

How long did it take for the spots to appear after the repair? I got mine yesterday and have been checking frequently, no sign of them yet.

I love my 15" but I would definitely consider trading for something else. I wonder if they would let me do that without a restocking fee. Probably not without a lot of arguing.

-Spyky
  • Reply 312 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spyky

How long did it take for the spots to appear after the repair? I got mine yesterday and have been checking frequently, no sign of them yet.

I love my 15" but I would definitely consider trading for something else. I wonder if they would let me do that without a restocking fee. Probably not without a lot of arguing.

-Spyky

Got it back on the 17th. Spots started showing up yesterday morning, the 22. Checking right now.... I still only see #3 (which is high in the middle), but I'm sure the others will come on eventually.

A week was long enough to make me feel safe. But not so.

My rep is coming by (!?) after lunch today.
  • Reply 313 of 588
    Quote:

That's inexcusable. Why do you think Apple makes Powerbooks...TO BE PORTABLE. If you can't carry your $2500 machine around without worrying about it getting f***ed up...then Apple has big problems.

I agree... but it has already been dented from what I would not have expected to cause a problem, and the tech at AppleCare told me not to carry it in a bag with anything else, even textbooks, because they might damage the screen. Those two things have made me sort of paranoid about it. I still don't want a desktop, I use it in my house all over the place with AirPort, but if I need to go somewhere, taking an impact-resistant $500-600 iBook with me would make a lot more sense than risking damage to my $3000 fragile Powerbook.
  • Reply 314 of 588
    I'm most irritated because, if I had just KNOWN that the computer was so easily dented, I would have bought one of those heavy duty foam computer sleeves. It was just in a normal messenger bag with its integrated padded sleeve, but there was a zipper that happened to come into contact with the lid of the computer. It's frustrating.
  • Reply 315 of 588
    I have the Brenthaven 15" Titanium Backpack that comes with a really well padded sleeve that has its own spot in the pack. Spent $150 on it, but it was money well spent considering it has lasted me 2 years, carried my TiBook...and now my AlBook.
  • Reply 316 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

So I should return my PB?

Thanks

i was having the same dilemma and couldnt decide between repairing and replacing. but since the screen is my only issue and the rest is perfect, i am not returning this one. if you have that many problems with it, return it! since this is like gambling in the dark here, i think odds are you can do much better.
  • Reply 317 of 588
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Mine should be here Monday, and I suspect that if the white spots are the only problem, I'm going to hang onto it for a while, see if they fix the problem, and if not, join the inevitable class action lawsuit in nine months.
  • Reply 318 of 588
    Today I met with two EDU Apple reps; well one EDU rep and one guy I think was more enterprise or something. Anyway, one of them had never seen the spots issue, and the other one had only heard of it, so they were very interested in seeing what it was. I had to show them Film's picture because mine isn't that bad. They were pretty chagrined. They hadn't heard of any official memo going out about a permanent fix.

They suggested I call it in, but delay sending it until I was ready to give it up for a week, especially because the channel is clogged with other repairs. Also, by then a permanent fix will surely have been found. In fact, they said don't send it in until they get the word that an official permanent fix has been found, and they see the flood of returns down to a trickle. The one guy was very interested in this because he is about to exchange is TiBook for a 15" AlBook, due next week.
  • Reply 319 of 588
    Quote:

I had to show them Film's picture because mine isn't that bad. They were pretty chagrined.

I'm honored...
  • Reply 320 of 588
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Got it back on the 17th. Spots started showing up yesterday morning, the 22. Checking right now.... I still only see #3 (which is high in the middle), but I'm sure the others will come on eventually.

A week was long enough to make me feel safe. But not so.

My rep is coming by (!?) after lunch today.

I think I might see two, but I have to look really really hard, and in the right light, and brightness and background. If it doesn't get any worse I will be happy with it as is. But I'm afraid it probably worsen.

(sigh) I don't know what I'm going to do in that case. Wait for a repair, try to get an exchange for a different model...

Damn Apple. Too bad I like this machine way too much. The 12" is too small and 17" too big. This one is just right.

-Spyky