How do you burn a DVD?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys, I'm trying to copy a DVD using "IDVD" and the free Apple blank DVD that I got with my new 15" Powerbook but I can't figure it out how to do it. I tried the "help" section but it doesn't really help . Any "Step by step" for an absolute beginner?? Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    What do you mean copy a DVD? Are you trying to burn a home movie or copy a commercial DVD? iDVD won't let you copy commercial DVDs. You'll need some other utilities for that.... It's not a one step process either....... and not legal.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    So......you can't "copy" a DVD that you bought personally to make a back-up? And utilities that anyone can suggest? Any help........
  • Reply 3 of 12
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Search Versiontracker.com

Look for DVD rippers.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    DVDBackup on Versiontracker.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

DVDBackup on Versiontracker.

there's more to it than just that though.

first, you need an app. like DVDBackup in order to rip the information off of the DVD. DVDBackup also allows you to remove the CSS, Macrovision and Region encoding.

next you need an app like DVD2OneX. this app. is designed to recompress the movies in order to fit them on a single layer DVD. (what you have) retail DVD's push 7-9GB, your DVD is only 4.7

all in all, with those two tools on a fast machine you can make a backup of DVD's you've purchased in 40 minutes or less. and they look just like the original.

a really nice feature of this type of backup is that it allows you to remove all the extra crap they put on DVD's, and you can just backup the actual movie. if you do that, there's zero loss in quality.

oh yeah, this is probably GD material, moving now....

edit: oops, i forgot that part. you'll need to burn the DVD with an application like Toast. a movie DVD is not the same format is a data DVD. toast makes this easy. you also need to include (along with the VIDEO_TS folder with the movie files) a blank AUDIO_TS folder.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hey alcimedes - Don't you need Toast, too? Or is it possible to burn a Video DVD with Discburner or some other Apple software?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Insert the DVD.

Open Disk Copy, located in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

Drag the DVD into the Disk copy window that pops up.

Select "CD/DVD Master", instead of "Compressed".

Insert the blank DVD when your Mac is done ripping the DVD (This should take a while), open Disk Copy again and select "burn image. This will burn your DVD image to a DVD.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    put it into fire
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Call me naive...I thought it would be a lot easier! But, Placebo's step's seem easy enough, I'll try that and if that doesn't work, then Leonis's "put into fire"...haha... Thanks for the help.........
  • Reply 10 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's mainly the fact that most people burning copies of DVDs aren't duplicating them for legit purposes.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There are two problems with Placebo's procedure:

1. Most commercial video DVDs are copy protected in multiple ways, and that procedure doesn't get rid of the copy protection.

2. Most commercial video DVDs are dual-layer (often over 7GB) whereas computer DVD burners currently only produce single-layer (around 4.5 GB) DVDs. So your movie won't fit on your DVD unless you compress it somehow or don't copy all of it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    which is why you need to follow the steps i listed above.

for those who think this is hard, it used to be that it would take well over 48 hours to do the same procedure.

now it's a total of 40 minutes, and you need to do about 4 minutes of input on your end. pretty simple. each step involves about 3 clicks.

the reason why this seems complex is because you're doing something the movie companies don't want you to do with your DVD's. you're making a copy of them.

so instead of just making a copy, you have to get around all of the encryption/protection schemes they've put in place. that's a pain.

there are programs on the PC side (well, one i can think of) that contain the DeCSS code and can do it all in one click. however, it's slower and requires about the same amount of intervention on your end.

most companies won't include the DeCSS code in order to stay on the legal side of things.