app to speed audio up?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there an app that allows you to speed up an audio clip to make it sound the way it does when you hold down fast forward in the quicktime player? for that alvin and the chipmunks effect?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Amazing Slow Downer X from www.versiontracker.com

And it can speed it up WITHOUT changing tempo and vice versa which is really neat.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

And it can speed it up WITHOUT changing tempo and vice versa which is really neat.

surely you mean pitch, because if it speeds up the tempo will change.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Amazing Slow Downer X

another vote here for amazing slow downer.

it's buggy sometimes and some easily reproducable freezes, but WHEN it works, it works well.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    It should be noted that the beloved "chipmunks" effect comes from allowing pitch to go up when running audio faster. Slow Downer X's claim to fame is changing duration without changing pitch -- not the effect you'd be looking for. SDX does seem to have pitch changing features too, so maybe it'll do the chipmunk thing for you too, but it could also be overkill for the job.

Playing old 33 1/3 RPM records at 45 RPM seemed to be about right to produce chipmunkishness, so that's a 35% increase in speed and pitch (roughly three tones higher).

If you've got an audio sample at 44.1 KHz, just re-tag it as 59.5 KHz without resampling. That might in itself be enough, or you might then want to resample from 59.5 KHz down to 44.1 KHz, just to be back at a standard sampling rate again.

I don't have the software in front of me right now, but I think this would be easy enough to do with Amadeus or some other software with basic waveform editing capabilities.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I don't have the software in front of me right now, but I think this would be easy enough to do with Amadeus or some other software with basic waveform editing capabilities.

Yup, Amadeus II would definitely be better suited for this job.

Effects -> Change Pitch

In fact, it can also do what Amazing Slow Downer X does, changing pitch or speed without affecting the other. That can be done with:

Effects -> Change Pitch and Speed...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Finesheet

Playing old 33 1/3 RPM records at 45 RPM seemed to be about right to produce chipmunkishness, so that's a 35% increase in speed and pitch (roughly three tones higher).

My stanton Str8-100 has built in Key Correction, pretty good one too. It is very useful for mixing things
  • Reply 7 of 7
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

? Slow Downer X's claim to fame is changing duration without changing pitch -- not the effect you'd be looking for. ?

no, amazing slow downer does BOTH effects: speed up or pitch... give it a try. it is AMAZING!

e.g. try any michael jackson tune and LOWER his voice... that's really funny