parallel to USB

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been offered a nice working Okipage 8 ( mono laser printer ) that appears to be parallel ported. ( to me it looks very similar to a scsi port but just a tad smaller).

My question is whether I can buy just any old USB to parallel connector..as available in Peecee shops..or do I need to get the overpriced ( mac ) version of the same thing ?

Ps I run older late model jelly bean imacs & os 9.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I could not find any software/drivers on the net. So I bought a Belkin USB to Parralel converter for Mac. It required a MacJect driver (I think),

I don't have that printer any more so I don't use it. I guess it will turn up on ebay at some point when i get time.

J-E-O
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon-e-orange

I could not find any software/drivers on the net. So I bought a Belkin USB to Parralel converter for Mac. It required a MacJect driver (I think),

I don't have that printer any more so I don't use it. I guess it will turn up on ebay at some point when i get time.

J-E-O

Yep, I looked at the Belkin Option..

Turns out, it might work.but according to a test I saw, it cuts Dpi down from 1200 to 600.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Ummm I think you may be right but my printer was only 600dpi anyway (I think this was a few years back now).

I guess it depends on what you want/need from your printer.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    save the money for a good USB printer... older printers will give you nothing but headaches...