who says good things don't come free? (Open Office)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I heard from my friend of this prog. But I just couldn't believe it. After looking at their site it really is true! it's called Open Office located at http://www.openoffice.org . And it's a program much like Microsoft Office. But better, it is open sourced, compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux. It can open and safe in microsoft office format, it's own format, or in .swf (flash) for presentations. And best of all... it's free!go ahead, check out the site, to learn more about their features go here http://www.openoffice.org/product/

Whadda think? Free is better than $150-300, does the same, compatible with all, and it's legal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Oh, I didn't imagine this was about OpenOffice.

But yes, it is great. I noticed I have a copy of MS office on my book. As I didnt order it with it, i assume it's demo, and it'll be on the PB DVD anyway. So tomorrow when I install Panther I will just delete all that and never bother to have any M$ programs on my Macs again (at least I try. No IE, no M$ Office, no Win Mediaprayer etc). Yes, OpenOffice will be there. Happy to see you like it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I must note that there is no "native" port for OpenOffice on the Mac... It needs an X server...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    there is a huge amount of software which is free, open source and without restrictive licenses. entire fully functional operating systems (the various GNU/Linux distros, and BSD distros come to mind) are available, and with the majority of features that commercial, closed, and restrictive OSes have. infact, one of our favorite fruit companies borrows a lot of software from the free/open-source community, and uses it in its OS (web sharing, for example, is provided with the apache web server). it's nice to see that you've recently discovered free software. you might also be interested to learn about the gnu's software. everything they produce is free (with full source available, and the end user is allowed full control over the program). there are many other organizations and individuals doing similarly (myself included).
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fink and finkcommander will rock your world if OOo's "port" of OO makes you this happy. Right now it doesn't work with Panther, but I expect it to soon.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

fink and finkcommander will rock your world if OOo's "port" of OO makes you this happy. Right now it doesn't work with Panther, but I expect it to soon.

This true?

I thought it would work off the bat, considering Panther has XFree86 as a standard feature.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

This true?

I thought it would work off the bat, considering Panther has XFree86 as a standard feature.

I meant fink, not OO. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Moving to Software and editing title.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Fink (0.53) runs fine on Panther.

I used it to install wget, kstars, nmap, ethereal and liquid.

I love OpenOffice on my PC. When I get my iBook G4 though, I'll be using MS Office to do assignments. OpenOffice for Darwin is not integrated enough with the OS.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Fink (0.53) runs fine on Panther.

I used it to install wget, kstars, nmap, ethereal and liquid.

I love OpenOffice on my PC. When I get my iBook G4 though, I'll be using MS Office to do assignments. OpenOffice for Darwin is not integrated enough with the OS.

Barto

Yah I am waiting for a true "native" port too... The idea of running X11 just for an office title is unsettling.

As a linux user I try to do as much as possible without starting X. It feels more unixy that way.