Holy Sh!t! Half-Life 2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Yeah, I know I'm behind on stuff.... but I just saw a mpeg of Half-Life 2 and am stunned. This is a huge leap for gaming, IMO. The game physics are unbelievable. I can only hope that it's ported to mac. If not...God forbid, I may just have to consider buying a PC. I'll also need to stock up on some Depends.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the download:

http://www.halflifeforum.com/downloads.htm

It's the last one (Half-Life 2 E3 Video 25 minutes (mov)). You need Bittorrent to download it.

It makes Unreal Tournament 2003 look sad and pathetic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Don't be fooled by the HL trickery. DOOM III has equal physics but that won't make or break the game.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Yeah, Doom III looks great.... I just haven't seen enough of it. A friend of mine has an Alpha version of it, and says it's scary as shit. But this 25 minute Half-Life2 movie blew me away.

edit: And the Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault uses the same physics engine as HL2... looks very good.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Munj

Don't be fooled by the HL trickery. DOOM III has equal physics but that won't make or break the game.

8)
  • Reply 4 of 19
    nice
  • Reply 5 of 19
    oh...... and what exactly is the trickery you are talking about?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Doom III just uses rag-doll physics like every other game out there. HL2's physics engine is an extension of the Havok engine, and takes into account materials, weights, etc., and also has fragmentation and dynamic sound to match it.

The biggest thing HL2 has going for it is the character acting system, in which AI, event scripting, and environmental awareness all combine to make an unbreakable, dynamic experience that won't play out the same way twice. The characters themselves are also richly animated, with forty different facial muscles that "blend" to yield theoretically any expression. They're the most lifelike of any game I've ever seen.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

Doom III just uses rag-doll physics like every other game out there. HL2's physics engine is an extension of the Havok engine, and takes into account materials, weights, etc., and also has fragmentation and dynamic sound to match it.

So does Doom 3. Have you even seen Doom 3 videos? Probably not. There were very few shown, but Doom 3's entire environment is dynamic and more-so than what I've seen in the HL2 videos.

Examples seen in Doom 3 videos I've seen. Distortable walls, doors that got deformed as creatures bashed through them, railings that got bent out of shape, pipings that got busted up by a creature as it tries to squeeze it's way through, hanging light fixtures that, when shot at, beginning swinging like a pendulum and eventually slow to a stop.

Sorry but Doom 3 doesn't "just use rag-doll physics".

Quote:

The biggest thing HL2 has going for it is the character acting system, in which AI, event scripting, and environmental awareness all combine to make an unbreakable, dynamic experience that won't play out the same way twice. The characters themselves are also richly animated, with forty different facial muscles that "blend" to yield theoretically any expression. They're the most lifelike of any game I've ever seen.

Yes, so far, HL2 takes the prize for that kind of stuff. It's not clear in the Doom 3 videos how lifelike the expressions people have are going to be.

But physics-wise...Doom 3 wins.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, here's hoping half-life 2 succeeds where half-life fell off. namely, the plot was almost discarded with a 1/4 left to go, and then the difficulty went from "pretty tough" to "are you out of your f'n MIND?!?" in the span of, like, two levels.

personally, i would have liked to see valve release TWO games -- based upon the decision you make at the end of the game. the one now assumed you side with the gov't man, whereas the other assumes that he puts you in an impossible situation and you die as a result... but why? just make an alternate game where you refuse, then manage to quickly run your ass off xen and teleport back to earth to seek your revenge.

anyway, doom iii will look like a great game to play with the lights off, but its premise is just the original doom, right? half-life 2 will have you doing the biddings of a powerful entity, who will be placing you in one impossible scenario after the next (hmmm... where have i heard that premise before? oh yeah, i think it was called "marathon 2: durandal").

• Reply 9 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Yes, so far, HL2 takes the prize for that kind of stuff. It's not clear in the Doom 3 videos how lifelike the expressions people have are going to be.

But physics-wise...Doom 3 wins.

I don't think that zombies are the best creatures to demonstrate a facial engine with...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

anyway, doom iii will look like a great game to play with the lights off, but its premise is just the original doom, right?

Apparently not...this is the misconception most people seem to have about Doom 3. They think it's going to be a mindless shoot and run game with a pretty engine and graphics.

Carmack has been saying this ain't so for a year now but no one seems to catch on. iD is working hard on making the game's single player story-line and experience exceptional.

One of the iD team member said that there will be lots of puzzles to solve and stuff that doesn't involve repeated pointing and shooting.

At one point, the player is said to have to go through a room that's filled with gas leaking from a barrel. The player has to use a crane to pick up a dead body and then drop it on the leak on the barrel to block it off.

I'm willing to bet the story-line and experience is going to be just as good or better than HL2. And it might just get released *before* HL2 *and* run on a Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    A buddy of mine has the alpha of DoomIII too... well so he says. He told me that once he took 3 hits of acid and played for a few hours... now he stays the hell away from the game.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    That's kind of funny, Steve brought up how HL2's biggest shining feature was it's character animations and realism, and then when the rebuttal came the only thing I could think of was a (albeit good LOOKING) screenshot I saw from DOOM III with 2 monsters entering a room, with the exact same expressions, textures and bump mapping, and even stance, made me think "wow that's cheap"

At any rate, both games LOOK beautiful, the physics in both games ARE great, And they will likely herald in a new age of gaming.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Half Life 2's physics engine is more advanced. Doom 3 went back a few stages when HL2 demos where shown at E3. In the HL2 trailer, you saw many materials, each with realistic physics, Doom 3 on the other hand, seemed to use only metal and flesh i.e. the zombies etc.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Half Life 2's physics engine is more advanced. Doom 3 went back a few stages when HL2 demos where shown at E3. In the HL2 trailer, you saw many materials, each with realistic physics, Doom 3 on the other hand, seemed to use only metal and flesh i.e. the zombies etc.

What video did you watch? Apparently not the same I did...Doom 3 showed things getting knocked around, bodies thrown, objects getting deformed.

I saw the HL2 videos: player movements and objects behaved very unlife-like.

I played the leaked beta. Same thing.

HL2 actually has shitty physics...I don't care if every object does some magical little thing that makes you think "hey, everything object has some physics attached to it", the fact is that they don't quite behave realistically (which is what iD is putting emphasis on in their engine.)

The difference between HL2 and Doom 3 is that Valve went all out to reveal everything about HL2...iD didn't. And yet people still think they can judge both games based on the little they've seen about Doom 3. Some Doom 3 video footage I saw was pulled by most sites because iD was unhappy that it got leaked. Why? Because they're keeping most of it underwrap.

Come back again when both games are released or try to find the videos I've seen and described.
  • Reply 15 of 19

• Reply 16 of 19
  • Reply 17 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    The only thing I dont like about the DOOM 3 preview is that everything is so SHINY. Materials, skins, etc.

I like the HL2 approach more (graphics wise).
  • Reply 18 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I thought DOOM III was supposed to be the game with the zombies in it.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    If anyone here uses a PC, another cool game concept to check out would be the "Amp" engine. It's made by the developers that brought us Gore.

The engine is somewhere between UT 2003 and Doom III, but with really good frame rates (compared to the latter). Haven't seen an outdoor scene in it yet though, so I'll have to reserve judgement.

It's OpenGL-based and also relatively cheap if you want to develop with it, maybe they'll make a Mac version of it someday.