itunes PC & mac library sharing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am trying to share my library with my brother (on a mac), and visa-versa. When I enable sharing my brother is able to access my library over the internet - eventhough I am behind a router for my home network. He is in the same situation, but I am unable to load his library or even connect to him. Any ideas of what I should do here?

-Arieh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gustiferjones

I am trying to share my library with my brother (on a mac), and visa-versa. When I enable sharing my brother is able to access my library over the internet - eventhough I am behind a router for my home network. He is in the same situation, but I am unable to load his library or even connect to him. Any ideas of what I should do here?

Is he behind a router, or using a software firewall? You both need to have port 3689 open, and where a router is involved, you'll have to set up port forwarding for port 3689 too.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Is he behind a router, or using a software firewall? You both need to have port 3689 open, and where a router is involved, you'll have to set up port forwarding for port 3689 too.

Both of us are behind linksys routers. All port are forwarded to me, and I have opened the iTunes ports to forward to me specifically. The problem I have is how do I add him, or how am I able to connect to his library?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Both of us are behind linksys routers. All port are forwarded to me, and I have opened the iTunes ports to forward to me specifically. The problem I have is how do I add him, or how am I able to connect to his library?

Are you saying that you're both behind the same router, or each behind different routers? (Come to think about, I don't think sharing would work either direction if you weren't both using the same router.)

Have you looked at his fire wall settings, or just your Mac settings?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Are you saying that you're both behind the same router, or each behind different routers? (Come to think about, I don't think sharing would work either direction if you weren't both using the same router.)

Have you looked at his fire wall settings, or just your Mac settings?

We are both behind our respective firewalls, in our respective houses. He is on a MAC, and I'm on a PC. He can connect to my library wihtout any problems, but I don't even know how to connect to his library? I try to open a stream, btu this doesnt work.

I just need to know how I would go aobut setting up a connection to his copmputer, and thus end up connecting to him.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Hm, strange.

I was under the impression that since Apple modified iTunes early on that only computers on the same subnet.

For example:

Yes - 192.168.0.2 & 192.168.0.3

No - 192.168.0.2 & 192.168.1.2 (or anything else that isn't 192.168.0.x)

I have not heard of either success or failure by extending a subnet via VLAN.

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Hm, strange.

I was under the impression that since Apple modified iTunes early on that only computers on the same subnet.

For example:

Yes - 192.168.0.2 & 192.168.0.3

No - 192.168.0.2 & 192.168.1.2 (or anything else that isn't 192.168.0.x)

I have not heard of either success or failure by extending a subnet via VLAN.

Screed

Not quite sure what you are saying here? Do you mean that you think that only users under the same LAN, behind a router are only able to share songs with eachother? This is not the case, because my brother can connect to me over the internet - him on mac, me on pc...

I'd love to jump on his network and stream some tunes.....
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

We are both behind our respective firewalls, in our respective houses. He is on a MAC, and I'm on a PC. He can connect to my library wihtout any problems, but I don't even know how to connect to his library? I try to open a stream, btu this doesnt work.

I just need to know how I would go aobut setting up a connection to his copmputer, and thus end up connecting to him.

The weird thing here is that sharing's working at all in one direction, not that the other direction doesn't work. As sCreed said, you both really need to be on the same subnet for sharing to work.

And by the way: It's Mac, not MAC. MAC, all caps, is Media Access Control. Picky, yes... but Mac people hate it when you call Macs MACs.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

The weird thing here is that sharing's working at all in one direction, not that the other direction doesn't work. As sCreed said, you both really need to be on the same subnet for sharing to work.

And by the way: It's Mac, not MAC. MAC, all caps, is Media Access Control. Picky, yes... but Mac people hate it when you call Macs MACs.

Righton, sorry for the messup. He mentioned something aobut being able to use a proxy to get to his library. I don't know what this is....

-Arieh
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Is your brother running iTunes 4.0 instead of 4.0.1 or 4.1? In 4.0, streaming across the internet worked. The RIAA screamed, and when iTunes 4.0.1 came out, sharing was limited to computers on the same subnet.

Since you're on a PC, you have to have at least 4.1, a version which has been "fixed" to disable over-the-internet sharing.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

He mentioned something aobut being able to use a proxy to get to his library.

I tried to get a hack (one called "401(ok)") to work so I could listen to my home iTunes library while at work, but found no joy. I'm sure with the right arcane hacking -- probably a solution requiring a hack at both ends of the connection -- you can get this to work, but that's not magic I've learned yet.

Just keep looking around for answers... I'm sure there'll be a work-around soon. My current solution was resurrecting a broken old USB hard drive and physically bringing 16 GB of iTunes music to work with me.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Is your brother running iTunes 4.0 instead of 4.0.1 or 4.1? In 4.0, streaming across the internet worked. The RIAA screamed, and when iTunes 4.0.1 came out, sharing was limited to computers on the same subnet.

Since you're on a PC, you have to have at least 4.1, a version which has been "fixed" to disable over-the-internet sharing.

He and I are both using 4.1 (mine is not the upgraded 4.1.1, just plain old 4.1)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

I tried to get a hack (one called "401(ok)") to work so I could listen to my home iTunes library while at work, but found no joy. I'm sure with the right arcane hacking -- probably a solution requiring a hack at both ends of the connection -- you can get this to work, but that's not magic I've learned yet.

Just keep looking around for answers... I'm sure there'll be a work-around soon. My current solution was resurrecting a broken old USB hard drive and physically bringing 16 GB of iTunes music to work with me.

I figured it would take a week or so to get the developer community to go around this problem, which is why I waited a bit. Your solution of transferring files via a USB HD is good, but we are both in different cities, so it isn?t the best solution!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It might be a computer firewall thing too. I am also having a heck of a time trying to connect a Mac and PC. Both of my computers are on the same home network. Both computers will se each other, but the PC won't load the Mac's playlist or start any internet streams. (Sounds like a problem on the Win-iTunes side of things) I've tried everything I can think of and no success.