Waking Up From Sleep...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This may be a dumb question but how do I get my computer to "wake up" once it has gone to sleep? When my new 15" powerbook goes to sleep I cannot seem to do anything to wake it up. I move the touch pad, hit keys etc and it stays asleep. I know it is still on because the caps lock and number lock keys still light up when i touch them but the computer stays dark. Is there something wrong with my powerbook or is there a key combination i should be pressing.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hisham Samawi

This may be a dumb question but how do I get my computer to "wake up" once it has gone to sleep? When my new 15" powerbook goes to sleep I cannot seem to do anything to wake it up. I move the touch pad, hit keys etc and it stays asleep. I know it is still on because the caps lock and number lock keys still light up when i touch them but the computer stays dark. Is there something wrong with my powerbook or is there a key combination i should be pressing.

thanks

Are you plugged in? If the battery gets drained enough, it won't wake up until you plug it in.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

thanks

Try pressing the Power button for 3 seconds.

Fellow Newbie.

Although looking now at the manual it does say:

Quote:

To wake the computer:

If the display is alreasy open, press the Power button or any key on the keyboard

But you're right, I HAVE to press the Power button to wake my PB if it has gone to sleep by itself. The keyboard gives no response. I expect, though, that we are being silly and NOTHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR POWERBOOK.

Unless of course you seen some white spots appearing...

(see pscates thread in Current Hardware if you really want to scare the shit out of yourself regarding SERIOUS things that could go wrong with your PowerBook.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Pressing the power button doesn't wake it up. It restarts it. If you're not waking up from sleep when you're plugged in, there's something wrong. Are there any peripherals connected to it? This is genius bar material if you have to restart to get out sleep.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

Pressing the power button doesn't wake it up. It restarts it. If you're not waking up from sleep when you're plugged in, there's something wrong. Are there any peripherals connected to it? This is genius bar material if you have to restart to get out sleep.

But I often press the Power button to wake from sleep. Surely it can't be a restart if all my applications are still open where I left them and the screen returns in less than a second.

Anyway. My quote was from Apple's Manual:

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To wake the computer:

If the display is alreasy open, press the Power button or any key on the keyboard

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

But I often press the Power button to wake from sleep. Surely it can't be a restart if all my applications are still open where I left them and the screen returns in less than a second.

Anyway. My quote was from Apple's Manual:

quote:

To wake the computer:

You're right. Just pressing it doesn't restart it. I thought you had to press it for a few seconds. And I guess that would just shut it down. Still, something's wrong if you can't wake it up by opening the lid or pressing some keys.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    BTW, dictionary.com says:

Quote:

No Entry For Pensieve

Surely you mean p-e-n-s-i-v-e.

Or is there some word play I'm missing?

• Reply 7 of 9
    I tried pressing the power down but it still doesn't wake up. If I hold it down too long the computer shuts down and then I have to restart. I'll give apple a call and see what's up.

thanks
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I thought that there was a difference if the 'Book went to sleep when the lid was open or if you put it to sleep by closing it. My PB wakes before I fully open the lid (I love the feeling that comes with that action) in the second instance. But in the first instance, pressing the keyboard doesn't work for me; I have to press the Power button.

Is there a Hold preference or something in Sys Prefs so you can toggle between keyboard and Power button wake and just Power button wake?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I tried pressing the power down but it still doesn't wake up. If I hold it down too long the computer shuts down and then I have to restart. I'll give apple a call and see what's up.

thanks

Ah. Definitely something wrong there then!