what's gonna be left for macworld in jan?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 205
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    What about an Apple/IBM Business solution using IBM branded hardware running OS X. Uh... Don't take this as an attack of the clones sort of idea but with the right *partnership* it could be ideal.

In terms of more Apple stuff I'd like to see what they could do for a redesigned iMac.
  • Reply 62 of 205
    I see bumps to the G5 line. I see TONS of talk about how many downloads of songs in iTunes, how many of them Windows users. I expect a Keynote update. I expect AppleWorks to get a dot update. I expect an iMac update. I expect another iPod update (but I can't tell you why). Lastly I expect there to be a new product which will cost $199 available the exact same day (shipping) and it weighs less then a notebook, but more then an iPod. What is it you ask? I can't tell you. But it will be $199 + tax.
  • Reply 63 of 205
    is this based on inside information?
  • Reply 64 of 205
    I think that faster Power Macs will either be announced in January or February. Obviously, as has been pointed out, there will be all that iPod + iTunes + great store sales speech. With the new iBooks now being G4's, it makes the possibility of a G5 Powerbook a bit higher, but I sincerely doubt that the Powerbook will be moving to a G5 in either January or February. There hopefully will be a new iMac that would make even Matsu happy and then they can really concentrate on keeping the eMacs as very cheap solutions for schools and houses- keep it G4, keep it a bit slower than the iMac, but at least have a good graphics card in there.

Hmm.... obviously uninteresting ideas and nothing new.... but that's I what I think we're in store for in middle of winter. And that would be just fine. Keep refreshing the product lines (faster, new iMacs, etc., etc.,) so they don't get stagnant, and keep innovating with the iPod, iTunes, and the stores. Some new displays either reduced in price or upping the 17 inch to a 19 inch would be a good move (or both). Hopefully they'll be aggressive with their sales to schools, the science field, Windows users, and maybe something will come out of that whole Renderman port to OS X too...... And not to forget that at some point those G5's will get stuck in Apple's various servers! It should be a good winter.
  • Reply 65 of 205
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    AppleOffice
  • Reply 66 of 205
    We can definitely rule out the iBook: there were cosmetic changes alongside the switch to a G4, so we know that they weren't just warming it over.

As for PowerMacs, I think it's too soon. The G5 only shipped in August and Apple is fond of giving at least 5 months between updates. Feburary or March is a more likely candidate.

There are only really two candidates for any hardware releases (barring a whole new model designation): the eMac and the iMac. I personally doubt that it's the iMac, as it did get a substantial update.

Here's an entertaining, if not likely theory: what if Apple revises the eMac? Remember, all we saw was a price cut and the elimination of the 800 MHz model. What if Apple finally responded to people asking for a cheap, headless desktop and decided to call a new tower system the eMac? It could have a basic G4 (like a 1 GHz chip), no Firewire 800, a Combo drive and so forth. They could price it at something like $599.

That way, Apple could better compete in terms of price and also get people to buy the eMac who wouldn't otherwise.
  • Reply 67 of 205
    TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY MACINTOSH!! v.2

1984 - 2004
  • Reply 68 of 205
    Quote:

--wireless connection to home stereo system, bluetooth for wireless headphones

unless you want to put the mp3/aac decoder in the headphones, it aint gonna happen, bluetooth doesnt have the bandwidth.
  • Reply 69 of 205
    20th century mac for the masses
  • Reply 70 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

AppleOffice

I think this might be the closest one yet. I don't have a clue what kinda of hardware Jobs et al might produce before MWSF, but software I believe will bring at least Keynote 2 and maybe other apps along those lines....

Anyone else noticed that Steve's Keynote presos as of late have been sporting some component and slide transitions not currently available to Keynote 1.1.1 users?

Hardware....well....maybe SOMETHING new (microlaptop?) with the G3 now that it is "dead" from the product line. It's a great efficient chip and IBM hasn't killed it yet....
  • Reply 71 of 205
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TiMac

I think this might be the closest one yet. I don't have a clue what kinda of hardware Jobs et al might produce before MWSF, but software I believe will bring at least Keynote 2 and maybe other apps along those lines....

Anyone else noticed that Steve's Keynote presos as of late have been sporting some component and slide transitions not currently available to Keynote 1.1.1 users?

Hardware....well....maybe SOMETHING new (microlaptop?) with the G3 now that it is "dead" from the product line. It's a great efficient chip and IBM hasn't killed it yet....

Microlaptop probably = Tablet. Tablet =
  • Reply 72 of 205
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    As is to late for consumer stuff, some new pro stuff would be nice.

G5 blade servers

really complete version of Maya,

Pixars rendering program for OS X

Things to give Apple Hollywood glamour and give the video editing eMac user a wiff of being a film mogul.
  • Reply 73 of 205
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I see bumps to the G5 line. I see TONS of talk about how many downloads of songs in iTunes, how many of them Windows users. I expect a Keynote update. I expect AppleWorks to get a dot update. I expect an iMac update. I expect another iPod update (but I can't tell you why). Lastly I expect there to be a new product which will cost $199 available the exact same day (shipping) and it weighs less then a notebook, but more then an iPod. What is it you ask? I can't tell you. But it will be $199 + tax.

tablet?

mini-tablet device (for remote viewing)

who knows...

...if true
  • Reply 74 of 205
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about more partnering with ibm, say ibm office suite, mac emulator, if there a market for an office suite other than MS?

if last year was the year of the laptop, and laptop sales marketshare have been growing more than desktops, what will steve annouce "year of the ......'

how about a backlit keyboard for the PB12?

it's got to be something very very substantial for the 20th year of the mac
  • Reply 75 of 205
    Quote:

unless you want to put the mp3/aac decoder in the headphones, it aint gonna happen, bluetooth doesnt have the bandwidth.

Somebody's done just that, or at least they've got a reference product. Check it out: www.implusesoft.com

Bluetooth headphones would rock. So would a bluetooth connection to a home stereo, and a car stereo. Be able to listen to a choice of thousands of songs in your car, with no patch cable going to the headunit, and no dumbass FM transmitter who's signal gets clobbered by a REAL FM station when you drive into a new city. It'd be nice if there were a standard for controlling the iPod from the head unit, too.
  • Reply 76 of 205
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

? what about more partnering with IBM , ?

which brings me to:

anyone remembering the "nubus dos cards" for the 7000 machines?

how about a "dos hardware emulation card" for the G5

running windows prgs under the unix surface of 10.3.

"the best windows ever!"
  • Reply 77 of 205
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

you're speculatin on this by any chance?

\
  • Reply 78 of 205
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

you're speculatin on this by any chance?

\

Man ... if Apple made a tablet PC just a little larger than the iPod that runs OSX and only costs $199 I would buy one as fast as my hands can click the "buy" button on the Apple Store website. I just hope there is such a device ... and that Apple sells it for just $199.

I like my Palm organizer OK, but I really want something with and OS similar to my Mac ... with added features I can really use, like wireless access to my e-mail accounts, a GREAT handwriting recognition program so I can write down several pages worth of text all on a tablet ... that would be perfect.

If I can also view color photos and play a couple of cheap-o games on it ... all the better. Likewise, if you can plug in a compact GPS attachment to it, you could use your tiny tablet Mac to get directions when you're lost!

The problem is, most of the current high-end tablet-style organizers cost more than $199 ... which is why I haven't bought them.

Once you start getting in the $250+ range, you might as well just buy a used laptop computer ... you can do more with it and used notebooks run anywhere from $300 to $600 for something REALLY useful. Heck, you can buy a VERY nice PowerBook G3 Pismo for $400 (closer to $300 if you get one with less memory, smaller HD, and no Airport card).

That's why Apple needs to keep the price of a compact tablet organizer in the $199 range.
  • Reply 79 of 205
    nicely deflected the question there rustedborg
  • Reply 80 of 205
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    "what's gonna be left for macworld in jan?"

Given that the iBook now has G4's, I'd say G5 powerbooks.