Canvas 9?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone download and try out the demo?

I can't get it to run (on a Duale G5 10.2.8). It dies after it hits the twain module when the splash screen comes up.

I hooked my scanner back to my PC, but that shouldn't cause a program to choke just because there it no scanner hooked up? Canvas hasn't impressed me as it crashed a lot on the PC too when I tried the PC demo as well. Just curious if it was better than CorelDraw for OS X (I like CorelDraw on the PC.)

Just curious what you anyone else's experiences with it have been?

Thanks,

-Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Anyone download and try out the demo?

I can't get it to run (on a Duale G5 10.2.8). It dies after it hits the twain module when the splash screen comes up.

I hooked my scanner back to my PC, but that shouldn't cause a program to choke just because there it no scanner hooked up? Canvas hasn't impressed me as it crashed a lot on the PC too when I tried the PC demo as well. Just curious if it was better than CorelDraw for OS X (I like CorelDraw on the PC.)

Just curious what you anyone else's experiences with it have been?

Thanks,

-Scott

I am user of Canvas since Canvas 2.0. I presently have Canvas 9.02 on my 2 GHz dual G5. It works great. Having only tasted Corel Draw some years ago on the PC and a demo on MacOS 8, I am underwhelmed by Corel. Corel is a Windows application for people who have Windows-level graphics skills.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Canvas must be really fast on your Dual 2.0, it really fast on my little G5 1.6, it is Altivec optimized so the performance in G4's and G5's should be very good.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I have 9.02 running on a Dual G5. I haven't used it a lot yet (5-6 hours). Mostly runs well but I did have one unexpected quit.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thanks for the responses!

Guess I must be having some weird problems then if some of you are having it run OK on a Dual G5.

Also I haven't been able to get to use Canvas enough to see how it works. It might be multitudes better than Corel, but last few times I tried it out (demos), it just crashed on me, so gave up. And that was on the PC.

I'll try and reinstall.

-Scott
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Update:

I did a reinstall and I properly entered the 15 day code and it still dies!

I hooked the scanner back up, it still croaks!

Here is something I found in the crash log, anyone know what it means? (this is the same each time I try to run it.)

2003-10-25 11:47:14.469 Dock[693] CFLog (0):

\tCFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:

\t<plist resource in resource fork> of bundle: /Applications/Canvas 9/Canvas 9\\u2122/

\tThe parser will retry as in 10.1, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.

2003-10-25 11:47:14.533 Canvas 9?[713] CFLog (0):

\tCFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:

\t<plist resource in resource fork> of bundle: /Applications/Canvas 9/Canvas 9\\u2122

\tThe parser will retry as in 10.1, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.

2003-10-25 11:47:14.538 Canvas 9?[713] CFLog (0):

\t<plist resource in resource fork> of bundle: /Applications/Canvas 9/Canvas 9\\u2122

2003-10-25 11:47:14.560 Canvas 9?[713] CFLog (0):

Oct 25 11:47:43 Scott-R-Computer crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/scottr/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Canvas 9b^D".crash.log

Thanks!

-Scott
  • Reply 6 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Sounds like the preferences got corrupted somehow. Trash 'em and start over.

Those of you who have Canvas 9: I haven't upgraded from 8 yet. What do you think of the upgrade? I know Deneba/whoever they are now were excited about it, but I'd like to hear some field reports.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Those of you who have Canvas 9: I haven't upgraded from 8 yet. What do you think of the upgrade? I know Deneba/whoever they are now were excited about it, but I'd like to hear some field reports.

Look, I think that Canvas 3.5.5 was the ultimate version. I have noticed two changes. One is that the user interface has undergone a major revision. The second is that Canvas 9 does not run under MacOS 9. I'm the type that likes to stay current. If you're not, then I really don't think you will miss much.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Hi Amorph,

Thanks for the suggestion. Gave it a try, the same thing happened. Guess I'll write the company and see what they have to say.

-Scott