Foveon Hunch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Foveon/Apple product in the next year. Carver Mead's work is too astounding for Apple to ignore, especially considering what Cupertino's DV plans are. Sigma/Foveon for digital cameras; Apple/Foveon for increasingly inexpensive (and impressive) digital video devices. Panasonic will have a role, too, somewhere in the mix....

------------------------------------------

Idle Speculation in Nashvegas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Foveon cameras at present require a PC to transfer the images off the camera. If they did have an OEM win with Apple don't you think they'd have done some Mac OS X compatible software (Apple didn't write the S/W for the iPod and it seems kind of silly to in house development on something even more complex that is not in Apple's area of expertise)

I'd love to see one too, but I don't think it is going to happen,
  • Reply 2 of 4
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sybaritic:

<strong>Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Foveon/Apple product in the next year. Carver Mead's work is too astounding for Apple to ignore, especially considering what Cupertino's DV plans are. Sigma/Foveon for digital cameras; Apple/Foveon for increasingly inexpensive (and impressive) digital video devices. Panasonic will have a role, too, somewhere in the mix....

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I agree that it might be a good way to go for a digital imaging device for Apple. Foveon is leading edge and may be the catalyst that carries digital photography to the next level. Still, it is pretty expensive right now, but one could imagine what Apple could do with it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>Foveon cameras at present require a PC to transfer the images off the camera. If they did have an OEM win with Apple don't you think they'd have done some Mac OS X compatible software (Apple didn't write the S/W for the iPod and it seems kind of silly to in house development on something even more complex that is not in Apple's area of expertise)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not any more. The Sigma SD9 pro level digital SLR uses a Foveon sensor and is slated for availability in August. It stores images on compact flash II cards or IBM microdrives. It also comes with both USB and firewire interfaces. Image transfer to a Mac or PC can be by either method, or if you have a card reader, just insert the CF card / microdrive in a standard reader. It would be simple matter for Apple to contract for the building of a "simpler" model digital camera. (Though I am doubtful that they have done so).

Edit: Just dawned on me, a Foveon based camera with maybe a 3 x optical and 2 x digital zoom, CF & IBM microdrive storage and under $700 might have some appeal. Under $500 and they couldn't build them fast enough.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: Shaktai ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    [quote]

Under $500 and they couldn't build them fast enough.

<hr></blockquote>

iWish. That would get me to buy a digital camera