Applications broken by Panther

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Bloodrayne seems to be broken, I just bought the game yesterday and cannot play it. This really sucks.
  • Reply 62 of 110
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattarino

What about Suitcase? I am using version 10 and haven't really intended on going to Suitcase 11. Anybody know about/like FontAgent Pro?

I'm using Suitcase X1 here. Mostly works, with two bugs:

- Something weird going with the hot key function. Even when turned off, it seems to think it's on and registers the letter you type (e.g. "a") to bring Suitcase forward. Workaround: make the hot key is as obscure as possible to avoid this.

- Rather longish pause when starting up, I think longer than Jaguar.

That's how it is here (Al 15", archive & install). I couldn't get Font Book to work at all. Perhaps I'll give it another try when they update it.
  • Reply 63 of 110
    I'm having some serious problems with Panther and several apps. I am running a new Powerbook 15" AI. I installed a fresh copy of panther on a zeroed out drive.

First, with software update. For some reason it is insisting to update Imovie and Iphoto, eventhough I already updated it previously. I noticed that the software update f== up when you move things into different folders. I placed all the Apple software under: Appliations:Apple Software.

Second, with Microsoft Office v. X . will crash when trying to Optimize my fonts. I had previously installed Adobe Font Folio. Some 400+ fonts.

I tried to run the Microfilth updater 10.1.2, but it does can't find the app on my Hard Drive. WTF. How can I update to the newest version, when your instructions explicitly say I need 10.1.2, 10.1.3, and 10.1.4 updates to be installed in order to upgrade to 10.1.5? This is ridiculous.

All Apples apps work like Final Cut Pro 4. I am considering going back to Jaguar until a newer update to Panther is released or these jackoff 3rd party software publishers provide updates to their apps.

I need a stable machine to be able to do my work. I have no time to download tons of updates for all of my software and reinstall apps. IMHO, most companies should have provided some sort of update, since most of them got seeded copies well in advances.

This is my opinion, I might be wrong.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Recently found out Sorenson 3.1 Pro no longer working.....
  • Reply 65 of 110
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Bloodrayne seems to be broken, I just bought the game yesterday and cannot play it. This really sucks.

The worse news for you is, once you realize the game itself sucks, you'll wish you hadn't bought it.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

First, with software update. For some reason it is insisting to update Imovie and Iphoto, eventhough I already updated it previously. I noticed that the software update f== up when you move things into different folders. I placed all the Apple software under: Appliations:Apple Software.

Command-delete in Software Update.

Quote:

Second, with Microsoft Office v. X . will crash when trying to Optimize my fonts. I had previously installed Adobe Font Folio. Some 400+ fonts.

More like 3000+ fonts. Each typeface has a different cut (italic, bold etc) which is a font. Why are you doing this without font management? And don't say Fontbook, because no one who needs to access lots of fonts for a living would use that app. BTW check your fonts, one or more are probably corrupt.

Quote:

I tried to run the Microfilth updater 10.1.2, but it does can't find the app on my Hard Drive. WTF. How can I update to the newest version, when your instructions explicitly say I need 10.1.2, 10.1.3, and 10.1.4 updates to be installed in order to upgrade to 10.1.5? This is ridiculous.

Checked your Office version.Maybe its >10.1.2?

Quote:

I need a stable machine to be able to do my work. I have no time to download tons of updates for all of my software and reinstall apps. IMHO, most companies should have provided some sort of update, since most of them got seeded copies well in advances.

Then don't upgrade. Production machines are typically not upgraded until well into the OS cycle when are apps can be verified to run correctly. No ones fault but your own if you aren't willing to do a little troubleshooting.
  • Reply 67 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

Command-delete in Software Update.

More like 3000+ fonts. Each typeface has a different cut (italic, bold etc) which is a font. Why are you doing this without font management? And don't say Fontbook, because no one who needs to access lots of fonts for a living would use that app. BTW check your fonts, one or more are probably corrupt.

Checked your Office version.Maybe its >10.1.2?

Then don't upgrade. Production machines are typically not upgraded until well into the OS cycle when are apps can be verified to run correctly. No ones fault but your own if you aren't willing to do a little troubleshooting.

Well, your right. My version was 10.1.4....My mistake there.

As for the fonts, I have the original Adobe Typfaces CD. The files should not be corrupted. I will try to update to 10.1.5 and see if the freezing of fonts desists.

I was using ATM before, but probably will go and buy suitcase. Is there an update to be compatible with Panther?

Also, I movie is crashing on me. It fails to load. I never use that app, but my wife might have some use for it.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    My Menu Control for Filemaker Pro no longer works since upgrading to Panther.....worked fine in 10.2.8.

Email from tech support says they are working on a update to address it and will release it as soon as possible. Sure hope they hurry...I am trying to finish up a huge project and really want to test it on Panther!
  • Reply 69 of 110
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I'm pretty lucky, got my copy already. Haven't had time to do a clean install.

My machine is a 1GHZ G4 with 768MB

Illustrator 10 - images take a long time to "place" usually waited 10 seconds for an average size image, now it's a good minute.

Placing a 13.2mb image is faster than it used to be for me... almost immediate, and I'm on a 450 Sawtooth. I did have to delete the AdobeFNT.lst files before it would even launch, however.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the Mighty Mouse utility seems to no longer work.
  • Reply 71 of 110
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Norton Systemworks 2.0 died

HP PSC 2150 software died

I did a fresh install (wipe/reload)

If either of these are installed, when I logout/shutdown/fast-user-switch/anything my dock is reset to default and so are my preference settings.
  • Reply 72 of 110
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Spectre! I did an Archive/Install, and now my trusty Classic pastime barely works at all. It starts up fine, but doesn't display anything once the game begins except for the stat/score stuff up on top, and those won't update. What gives?
  • Reply 73 of 110
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by feliperal

I noticed that the software update f== up when you move things into different folders.

It has been known from 10.0: never, under any circumstances, move Apple's software, whatever it is. Installer.app, unlike VISE installers, doesn't check file paths. It just puts updated files where it expects outdated ones to be.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    X-plane is having trouble with some USB joysticks and pedals under Panther as described here:

http://www.jqkserv.net/xplanehelp/vi...jsp?kbid=10086

In my case the Saitek joystick is fine but the CH Products pedals stopped working under Panther.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    I think I found my first Panther problem. When working in Powerpoint with accented text (spanish) the accents sometime work, sometimes they do not. In 10.2 there was no problem I detected. A solution has been to write the text in word and then copy and paste. Works, but a pain.
  • Reply 76 of 110
    luigiluigi Posts: 34member
    Anyone try Palm desktop and sync yet?
  • Reply 77 of 110
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Originally posted by luigi

Anyone try Palm desktop and sync yet?

Palm Desktop 4.1 and the sync seem to work fine for me. I don't usually use the desktop software, I usually use Entourage X. I've also got Missing Sync 3.09 installed and it seems to work alright. I did have the system hang wile transfering MP3's to my Clie...
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by bondgirl

Well at least it's just me, lol. My finder is currently busy crashing and my iphoto is beaching balling away. So much for the upgrade install. I will reinstall SPSS on my new archive and installed system this evening - thanks, I am glad to hear it is working. Does anyone know if I need to reinstall all my applications when doing archive and install or will it keep them and just make me a new system folder? I understand the homes and network sets will be kept, but am confused about the rest.

FYI, no halo on the Endnote for me, at least, not yet....

SPSS 11 is working fine here, too. It DIDN'T work in a previous build and I was cursing SPSS for their inability to make an update that wasn't obsoleted within a few short months (SPSS 10 came out and then OS X broke it or something like that). But it seems to work ok. Except that I keep getting HOOPS errors when I scroll down to my plots in the output. I'm not sure what that's about.
  • Reply 79 of 110

would someone mind explaining to me what pre-binding errors are? i have a problem with applications quitting on me under 10.3, and reinstalling them didnt solve anything. i checked thru the system log, and one error that kept being repeated was that the application "could not be launched prebound."

thanks.
  • Reply 80 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

SPSS 11 is working fine here, too. It DIDN'T work in a previous build and I was cursing SPSS for their inability to make an update that wasn't obsoleted within a few short months (SPSS 10 came out and then OS X broke it or something like that). But it seems to work ok. Except that I keep getting HOOPS errors when I scroll down to my plots in the output. I'm not sure what that's about.

Try to run any of the graphs, especially histograms, and see what happens. Does it crash for you too? Cause I can run analyses, but any graphs crash the whole program for me .:-(