Panther on G3's

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone out there installed Panther on a G3?

Any noticeable improvements/slow downs?

I'm thinking about getting Panther for my ibook G3 900mhz with 640 Memory and I'd love to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    It will definitely be faster if you install it right. Repair permissions first from Disk Utility if you can, and do an Archive and Install.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Panther on a G3 400 iMac here...512 MB of RAM, but no Quartz Extreme. Panther is just fine. On your machine with more RAM, QE, and over twice the MHz, it should be great.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    On a G3 Blue and White 450Mhz/1G and on an original Blueberry iBook 300Mhz/288Mb. Both booting/running noticibly faster with 10.3 installed. I did a clean install on both. Have Quartz Extreme enabled on the B&W, with a ATI Radeon.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    i used panther at the apple store on a 900mhz g3 ibook but with less ram

really impressed me....you shouldnt have any problems with it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    luigiluigi Posts: 34member
    Did Erase & Install on my iBook 500 dual USB. Works like a charm. Even expose is pretty smooth. About the same speed as before, but maybe slightly faster.

Can't wait to install Panther on my dual G5, but I'm still backing up my data on CD. (I want to do erase & install).

Then I'll try puttin Panther on my Mac SE.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Anyone tried it on a beige G3?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Beige g3 isn't officially supported, but the author of xpostfacto is working on an update to make it work.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    iHave an iBook G3 900 14" w/256MB RAM. Panther seems at least as fast as Jaguar, and there are nice little things (Sys Prefs seem to take less time to load, for instance, and there's a nice little crossfade while they do so, and sheets seem to come down faster.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by salty chips

Anyone tried it on a beige G3?

I've been unable to get any version of OSX working on my beige G3. I gave up and installed yellowdog.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I've been unable to get any version of OSX working on my beige G3. I gave up and installed yellowdog.

10.2.6 works fine on my Beige G3. But since 10.2.8 skrewed my computer up, I had to reinstall 10.2.6.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Linux is a great OS... don't be mad... just get geeky and enjoy linux.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    iMac DVSE 500/512, just did a simple upgrade from 10.2.8, couldn't be bothered with a archive and all that this time, 10.3 works beautifully, expose runs very well considering the hardware.. the only time expose gets jerky is when you use it with a movie playing

Highly recommended upgrade
  • Reply 13 of 22
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    i heard a rumor about fast user switching taking a long time. what r your computers and times for the switching
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I tried it on my g3 beige. Every Version of 10.2 runs without Problems, even 10.2.8, but 10.3 isn't.

I booted from a preinstalled 10.3 HD but got the same Kernel Panic like booting from the Installer CD.

Schlaefer
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Just wondering what Panther would be like on a 333 iMac with 168 megs of ram....

I want to install it.... soon...
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Schlaefer

I tried it on my g3 beige. Every Version of 10.2 runs without Problems, even 10.2.8, but 10.3 isn't.

I booted from a preinstalled 10.3 HD but got the same Kernel Panic like booting from the Installer CD.

Schlaefer

Because the Beige G3's don't have USB, they are not supported by Panther. Note: lacking USB is not the source of the incompatibility, only an easy way to describe it.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I have Panther on my Pismo PowerBook (G3 400 MHZ, 640 MB RAM). It runs great, and it is an amazing improvement. It seems to react faster, overall, but I'd say the response is better in every aspect, also, from the improvements in the Finder and optimizations of the system. Expose' is instantaneous. Quick user switching works but without the cool rotating cube effect, since my machine does not support Quartz Extreme. Everything else is phenomenal. Upgrade? YES - Why have you waited so many days already!!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I'm running a 500mhz iMac G3, and Panther does seem a little on the faster side. It sure shuts down a lot faster

I think it's worth the jump if you have the money and the new features are appealing enough to you.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I'm running Panther on a 400Mhz G3.

It feels faster and more responsive. Xbench tests I did with Jag and Panther have shown that many things remain about the same speed, but several things are significantly faster.

Text rendering, Memory Allocation, and writing files to the hard drive were the biggest winners.

However, running top in the terminal shows top itself using a higher CPU percentage than before.

iTunes still between 10% and 30% CPU usage. I guess this is an improvement, since it was 15% to 35% in Jaguar. Still, I want to see MP3 playback that uses under 10% all the time.

I'm going to install WarCraft III in a moment and see if it's Panther has made it playable.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I have a beige G3 with a USB PCI card. I have 10.2.6 running on it just fine... but I haven't tried installing Panther yet... will it work?