Where is my Windows file server? (Panther question)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm really liking Panther so far -- definitely way more pluses than minuses -- but I've found one annoyance.

If I click on Network in the Finder sidebar, I see three folders, HOME, Local, and WORKGROUP, plus one alias to Servers. None of these show me the Windows computer that's on my local network with file sharing turned on.

I can still get to the shared files via the Finder's "Go/Connect to Server..." menu item, via the oh-so-user-friendly URL of "smb://192.168.0.6", but I was expecting to be able to simply browse to my Windows file server.

Since I can get to the server the hard way, I know everything is connected up and enabled the way it should be. Am I missing something, or is this broken?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I found nothing on Apple's web site about this problem, and a call to Apple's tech support didn't get me any answers.

I now have four Macs and one PC on my home network, and only the one Mac that's been left running Jaguar can browse to the PC file server. A G5 and a PowerBook that were just updated to Panther, and a fresh-out-of-the-box eMac with Panther pre-installed, can't see the Windows file server.

Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    What is the config?

PC OS? PC Workgroup name? Mac SMB Workgroup name?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

What is the config?

PC OS? PC Workgroup name? Mac SMB Workgroup name?

The PC is running Windows XP Home. All I've done is opened the Properties of the two drives I want to share, checked on both "Share this folder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files", and given the drives share names. The computer is in the default HOME workgroup. I've done no more or less set-up than that.

I don't know everything there is to know about Windows file sharing, but I can't think of any setting that I could have messed up or be missing that would only cause Panther, but not Jaguar, problems with browsing to these file shares.

To reiterate, Panther can indeed see and use these file shares, it simply can't browse to them.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Hi everyone.

I have the same problem with windows2000 servers.

With Windows NT I just clicked in networks icon and I found all Domains and Computers easily.

But in a Windows2000 Domain, I have to use Connect to Server method to access the server.

Does anyone knows what's happening.

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 10
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wiredconcept

Hi everyone.

I have the same problem with windows2000 servers.

With Windows NT I just clicked in networks icon and I found all Domains and Computers easily.

But in a Windows2000 Domain, I have to use Connect to Server method to access the server.

Does anyone knows what's happening.

thanks

This has never worked in any beta of panther. The fools on this board kept saying it worked - guess what, it does not. The networking ability of Panther is a joke. Just terrible.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Could someone who is NOT having a problem with browsing Windows file servers make a comment? It seems strange to me that there wouldn't be more fuss over this if it was broken for everyone, yet I haven't heard a "works fine for me" yet either.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I am having the same difficulty with panther... however a friend of mine who also installed panther can still see the PC workgroup folders. I am thinking that there is some problem within panther itself. Does anyone have suggestions??

\
  • Reply 8 of 10
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Could someone who is NOT having a problem with browsing Windows file servers make a comment? It seems strange to me that there wouldn't be more fuss over this if it was broken for everyone, yet I haven't heard a "works fine for me" yet either.

It turns out it is working the way apple intended, and that is what is wrong about it. Connecting to shares through the network browser will not result in shares being mounted on the desktop or side panel - dispite giving that impression on there web pages.

On apple web page: "Direct Network Access.

The network icon in the sidebar provides direct access to available Mac, Windows and Unix servers ? you don?t need to use the ?Connect to?? menu."

Well, yes you do. If you want to see your shares on the desktop or side panel.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

It turns out it is working the way apple intended, and that is what is wrong about it. Connecting to shares through the network browser will not result in shares being mounted on the desktop or side panel - dispite giving that impression on there web pages.

While I'd certainly like to see shares mounted on the desktop and the side panel, that's not my problem. In fact, at this very moment I have a Windows file share sitting on my desktop, and it's also in my side bar.

What I don't see the Windows file server that provides this file share, which I'd expect to fin inside the "HOME" folder when I click on "Network" in the Finder sidebar. The HOME folder is completely empty. However, at the very same time, a Jaguar Mac on this same Network does show the file server in the equivalent place in the Jaguar "Connect to Server..." dialog.

Jaguar... there's my file server, EQUINOX.

Panther? Nobody's HOME.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I have another thread with this problem and have the same thing.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=32667

basically: Get DAVE or wait for (hopefully) 10.3.1 update that will resolve this.

Grrrrrr....