Mac OS X Panther ONLY Hidden Features/Hacks/Hints/Tips/Tricks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm looking for cool features, hacks, hints, tricks, tips and tid-bits about Panther that they don't really advertize about Panther.

Please post your "findings" in this Topic. I guess I'll start off the subject here.

TextEdit: New "Complete" feature. While typing a word press option-esc and a list of possiblities comes up with guesses as to what word you are trying to type. Yes, it's small, but it's new to Panther.

Exposé also works while you are dragging icons, playing movies, and playing DVDs. Try pressing tab while you have ALL windows exposéd and you can cycle through the different apps.

Preview now has a full screen feature. Take a screenshot of your desktop and open it in Preview and make it full screen. It's funny watching someone go and use your computer and nothing moves... they'll think they broke it... it's a nice practical joke.

Does anyone have any other power tips, hacks or hidden features they'd like to share?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    How about easter eggs?
  • Reply 2 of 66
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Hmm.. I dunno. But I think I found a bug. ^_^

- Xidius
  • Reply 3 of 66
    not new to Panther, 10.3:

Hold down option and click the scroll well in any Application to scroll to where you clicked. So if you click the bottom of a scroll well, you will scroll to the bottom of the window's content.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    She loves me...

- Spaztik -
  • Reply 5 of 66

In the Finder. If you have your widows in Brushed metal mode, you can cmd-click the toolbar widget to quickly adjust the icon size in the toolbar or even display only text names or only icons.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spaztik

I'm looking for cool features, hacks, hints, tricks, tips and tid-bits about Panther that they don't really advertize about Panther.

Please post your "findings" in this Topic. I guess I'll start off the subject here.

TextEdit: New "Complete" feature. While typing a word press option-esc and a list of possiblities comes up with guesses as to what word you are trying to type. Yes, it's small, but it's new to Panther.

Exposé also works while you are dragging icons, playing movies, and playing DVDs. Try pressing tab while you have ALL windows exposéd and you can cycle through the different apps.

Preview now has a full screen feature. Take a screenshot of your desktop and open it in Preview and make it full screen. It's funny watching someone go and use your computer and nothing moves... they'll think they broke it... it's a nice practical joke.

Does anyone have any other power tips, hacks or hidden features they'd like to share?

THANKS for the info!!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 7 of 66
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I really like the tab in expose, that's awesome.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Huh, I didn`t know about tab in expose.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

JAW DROP - I'm guessing this is part of Cocoa Text Frameworks in Panther. This is freakin' high level WP stuff.

Quote:

JAW DROP... why didn't the hell Apple document this??? I knew about icons (it's really handy for that), but that tab thing rocks.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

JAW DROP... why didn't the hell Apple document this??? I knew about icons (it's really handy for that), but that tab thing rocks.

'cos it looks and works too much like Windoze? (If I think I know what you are talking about - that rectangle comes up in the centre of the screen and lets you cycle thorough apps? - I don't have Panther yet)
  • Reply 11 of 66
    i want panther now!!! when is apple going to ship my up-to-date copy of Panther that i ordered on the first day... (the 8th)
  • Reply 12 of 66
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

F5 works too. This works in text fields of almost any app. Cocoa apps anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Nobody else has any tricks?
  • Reply 14 of 66

I don't know how many people know about this, but I've seen it in Jaguar as well as Panther. I mine as well share it with you all.

Open a Finder window and drag it as far off the (left or right) side of the screen as possible. Then, drag an icon onto the content area of the window and watch the magic.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

F5 works too. This works in text fields of almost any app. Cocoa apps anyway.

Brad is going to wet himself.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

'cos it looks and works too much like Windoze? (If I think I know what you are talking about - that rectangle comes up in the centre of the screen and lets you cycle thorough apps? - I don't have Panther yet)

No, this is something different. Your talking about the bar that pops up in the middle of the screen which lets you tab through the icons of diffferent apps you have runnign with command-tab.

There is now also a tabbing feature in exposé which cycles through your open application windows while keeping the others faded in the background.... VERY COOL!

ok ok ok .... here's mine ....

hold down the shift key and minimize any window ....

WOW!
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

ok ok ok .... here's mine ....

hold down the shift key and minimize any window ....

WOW!

That was always there... Do the same with Expose... then you have something really cool
  • Reply 18 of 66

Well, this seemed cool to me. We started up a quicktime movie ( in our case perversion for profit), and then went into full screen mode. Now, by command tabbing and selecting the finder, you get the movie as a desktop. Worked very smoothly on a duak gig, very impressive. We flipped between a lot of apps, had a bunch of windows layer above, and even did some transparency on the terminal. The movie just keeps chugging along.
  • Reply 19 of 66

This is also not new, but it's helpful.

Have you ever wanted to stop the flying Finder windows? Well, here's how.

Cocktail can do this with a push of a button but, if you want to try it with the Terminal then do this:

Make sure you have BSD installed first.

Open Terminal.app

Type: defaults write com.apple.finder AnimateWindowZoom -bool false

Press Return

And you're done! There's no need to restart the Finder. Changes take effect immediately!
  • Reply 20 of 66

I want to talk about the dock. I like my Magnification size to be as sharp as possible, so I don't use the dock preferences for that.

I have my dock set up with 32x32 size icons and Magnify at 64x64. How did I get the icons at exactly 64x64 without going nuts? Simple. Terminal.

You need the BSD System installed to do this.

Open Terminal.app

Type: defaults write com.apple.dock largesize -integer 64

Press Return

That's it! Now just restart the dock with Process Viewer and your icons will magnify to 64x64. By the way, you can do this with any size, just type a different number where the "-integer 64" is.