Panther (10.3) on Powerbook Lombard...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

Has anyone tried to install Panther on a Lombard powerbook ?? I have tried so (upgrade and clean install) and it locks up in the "Processing Base System Part 2" phase at the 93% complete mark. This is repeatable.

Apple's site says that Lombard with Panther is supported, but I haven't seen it work yet.

Any clues or tricks floating around out there ??

Thanks....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Check your install CD for scratches and gouges....
  • Reply 2 of 5
    CD is totally clean.

I also tried resetting the PRAM, etc. and still has no effect. Also cleaned the CD lens.

I guess I get to call Apple and see what's going on with this. The Lombard is on the list of supported 10.3 systems - so it ought to work somehow.

I have a 20 gig drive in it now - I may put the original 6 gig drive back in and try to load on it.

Thanks for the comments...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by philbutler

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to install Panther on a Lombard powerbook ?? I have tried so (upgrade and clean install) and it locks up in the "Processing Base System Part 2" phase at the 93% complete mark. This is repeatable.

Apple's site says that Lombard with Panther is supported, but I haven't seen it work yet.

Any clues or tricks floating around out there ??

Thanks....

Yes, I've installed it this morning on a Lombard 333, an upgrade from Jaguar. It took a while for it to install... but my impressions so far are... DO IT!!!

updated video driver makes pictures much more workable! The machine is 'less' finiky when using SVideo o/p (I had to use 256 color setting on LCD to get a VCD to play cleanly (no green) on my TV.

My QTVR movies run smoother,,, I can now use this to demo 'em

Run Repair Disk permissions before and after upgrade. Well worth the upgrade.

Jb
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Make sure your firmware version is current. Also, if you have any non-Apple ram you may want to try removing it and then trying the install.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Bingo !!!

opuscroakus's suggestion of taking out non-Apple RAM worked (at least so far). I am still loading on the laptop, but it's getting much further along this time.

I don't quite understand why this would make a difference (I removed 256M of transIntl.com SDRAM - which is good stuff), but I am willing to trick the installation "gods" and put the RAM back in after I am all installed.

Thanks !!