Looking for easy HTML paste-together-thingy :)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
First off, before you go suggesting BBEdit etc, I'm a developer, I know HTML.

Here's the deal, what I'm looking for though is some kind of visual tool where I can take a number of unrelated HTML files (stored on my drive) and visually link them together (this is for my personal use, nothing that is being published on the web). Ideally it would create simple "<Previous" "Next>" links based on how I "link" the pages using some kind of visual "connect the dots" type interface.

Anyone understand what I'm getting at? Does such a beast exist that isn't too expensive?

I normally just use text based tools like TextWrangler, etc. so I'm not at all familiar with any of the visual type programs.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    OS-X I presume...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    GoLive? GoLive by Adobe? I don't know, I thought that there might be something like that in there

it might be there....
  • Reply 3 of 11
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    You can use Netscape and Mozilla both have HTML editors built in, not very sophisticated though but better than using Notepad or text edit and most of all free.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

OS-X I presume...

Whoops! Yeah, OS X. I've been using it so long I don't even think to specify since to me using a Mac implies OS X
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

You can use Netscape and Mozilla both have HTML editors built in, not very sophisticated though but better than using Notepad or text edit and most of all free.

But aren't those still basically a text-editing based way of doing what I describe?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

GoLive? GoLive by Adobe? I don't know, I thought that there might be something like that in there

it might be there....

I'll check this one out. I've heard of it, but again, I have never used visual type tools (I'm the developer that does the background stuff, like CGI, C, etc. another guy in my office does the "customer facing" stuff).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    OUCH! I just looked at GoLive; $399!!! I'm sure it's totally worth it to professional web wizards, but I just wanted something for my personal use. Basically I'm trying to create a "scrapbook" of HTML pages that I can quickly "page through". GoLive looks like overkill for what I need (and for my pocketbook).

Any other suggestions, more in the cheap realm?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Sounds like you're kinda looking for something like Tinderbox.

Not super cheap, though -- $145.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

Whoops! Yeah, OS X. I've been using it so long I don't even think to specify since to me using a Mac implies OS X

Try this site page :

http://www.eskimo.com/~pristine/webed.html

Ps: Also regarding browsers.. I seem to remember reading somewhere, that Explorer & iCab are good for the sort of work you've outlined...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Perhaps the easiest way of doing this would be a little perl script... it shouldn't be too hard to do with a rather simple for statement, adding a standard header and footer to each page.

That would probably be the fastest way of doing it (well, it depends on how many files you are talking here, but it would suck to need to change numbers or whatever on 100+ documents).

Granted, I don't know perl syntax, but I know general programming, and I have a framework in mind that should do the job. I'm sure someone with more perl or awk experience could help you out on this one.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Perhaps the easiest way of doing this would be a little perl script....

Oh yes..what about Visual basic...?