Does anybody NOT have white spots on thier 15" AlBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm really getting worried here. I sent my 15" AlBook in for repair the other day for the infamous "White Pox" spots on the screen. After doing some research, I found over 200 entries in Apple's discussion forums about it. Several people are complaining that the problem reoccurred after thier PB's returned from repair.

So, has anyone had their 15" Albook for more than two weeks with no sign of the white spots? (Either with or without repair?)

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    8 days. No white spots. But then again I have dead pixels...
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Bought a new Powerbook 15" for my father, and it is absolutely flawless.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    two weeks - flawless.

loaded panther yesterday, battery life now 3.50 hours. in 10.2.7 it was 2 hours. also a lot cooler
  • Reply 4 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    So far (knock on wood), no white spots. The latch works and NO dead pixels on my new (as of last night) 15" SuperDrive model.

What an INCREDIBLE combination, that PowerBook and Panther! Gone - for me, anyway - is that odd, momentary lag when clicking menus and so forth. This just feels like a whole new machine/experience.

I hope it stays this way...I don't want to part with this thing for return/exchange/repair!

• Reply 5 of 36
    I have had my powerbook for 2 weeks, no problems with the display. Latch does not always connect, but given all the horror stories I can live with the latch problem. Don't want to end up with dead pixels or white spots by changing powerbook.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    15" Superdrive. One Week old. No problems.

Very nice machine.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skatees

So far (knock on wood), no white spots. The latch works and NO dead pixels on my new (as of last night) 15" SuperDrive model.

whoa, didn't expect you to get one, I thought you were after an iBook or iMac

I'd imagine the next factory run of powerbooks won't have so many problems, it is likely that the first runs had some flaw, causing the white spots, and dead pixels, and they corrected it [/wishful thinking]

I'm about to get one for college, I'm getting kind of anxious, it would be such a pain if it had dead pixels and/or white spots:
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'm suprised too Pscates. With your mammoth thread in Current Hardware concerning Quality Issues with the 15 AlBook I thought you'd at least wait a few more weeks before splashing out...

And a SD? That seems a long way from considering at one point (am I right?) a 12inch Combo. But then again, I had the same (expensive) change of heart. I need to start making the SD pay for itself...
  • Reply 9 of 36
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    I've had my Al PB 15" for several weeks now. No white spots, latch works, battery life is over 3 hours. Love it.

I did have a problem with the cable from the AE card to the antenna. It was pinched or something so it had barely any sensitivity. Sent it in and it was repaired in a few days.

I know have one gripe. The size and position of the trackpad puts one corner under my right palm. Sometimes I get an accidental mouse click when my palm touches the track pad. I've checked of the box in the preferences but it is not 100% effective.

You say there were 200 entries with people having problems. Figure Apple has already shipped several tens of thousands of these. The odds are pretty good you will not have a problem.

Also, Apple certainly has been feeding back information about the display and the latch to the factories in Taiwan so that they can correct this.

Finally, these are fixable problems. The first Ti books had problems with Airport sensitivity and loose batteries that could not really be fixed except with a design change.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I've had my 1.25 GHz 15" Al since 10/6...no white spots, no latch issue, perfect screen...
  • Reply 11 of 36
    And I trust you all know how to find these white spots, right? They only seem to show up on WHITE backgrounds, like word documents and empty folder windows. So if you haven't checked, do so and let me know.

Another good way to check is to download a program called PiXel Check 1.2 and select the "white" option.

Just wanted to make sure. I apologize to those of you who know this.

Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Yeah, I'd wavered a tad (ha!), but, in the end, the 15" SuperDrive PowerBook is what I really, really wanted. It's the one I've waited for all summer, dreamed about (well...), considered the "perfect size" and seems to be rather "future proof" (great graphics/64MB, DVI, SuperDrive, FireWire 800, USB 2, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, gigabit Ethernet, PC slot, backlit keyboard, plenty of RAM expansion, etc.).

The others I considered, while certainly cool and awesome gear, would've been me "settling".

I finally said "screw it...I'm getting what I set out to get!"

The discount last night just made it really easy (saved about $280 total AND got free Panther, so I'm happy as can be.

Glad it's over.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I believe I got my PowerBook the 25 of september and it had the latch problem. Only it wasn't really a problem, it closed if I didn't baby it close. But no white spots or anything. I think I'll wait another month and probably send in for a new one as I still have the latch problem and would just like for a new one once the flaws are all worked out. I have noticed that my LCD seems to be brighter on the left side of my screen now as compared to it used to be brighter on the right.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    I got my 1.25 PB the day they came out. I initially was concerned about battery life. 10.2.8 improved my battery life to 2:40 or so, and Panther has pushed it over 3 hours.

I'm starting to see a slight white spot on the mid left side. It first looked like a smudge, and has gotten worse. I'm going to wait till it's clear that the problem can be fixed before I use my AppleCare to repair.

Other than that, I'm very happy with this rev.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    I bought my 1.25 Ghz 15" laptop on Sept 29th from a local dealer. I was originally going to go thru the "Apple Store" but the wait was driving me nuts...anyways, got it home and I remember posting here that "no latch issue..no dead pixels.etc..."

Then the next day the latch went! DOH! But, I did the self fix and it's been fine since. I ran "Pixel Check" and so far (knocking on wood)..all is fine - no white spots and no dead pixels - I think I got a good one. It's almost been 1 month.....VERY HAPPY with my 1st Mac. Just waiting for FedEx to deliver my $29.99 version of Panther!

By the way, I called the Apple Store about getting the upgrade rate since I was pretty close to the cut-off but they were a "little" abrupt and rude telling me that "No..you cannot get it..you must pay full price". I simply followed a link someone provided here, entered my serial #, and I got it! So much for dealing directly with the Apple Store...(on the phone).
  • Reply 16 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Some of you said you had your PowerBooks replaced. How long did it take. I will send mine back to have my latch fixed in a month or so, but I would like an idea of how long I have to go without it.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Some of you said you had your PowerBooks replaced. How long did it take. I will send mine back to have my latch fixed in a month or so, but I would like an idea of how long I have to go without it.

If there are no supply issues, it will take three days, including repair time. Add time waiting for parts, of if there is a huge backlog (like right now).
  • Reply 18 of 36
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    I am glad somebody out there does not have white spots. My second screen now has more spots than my first one. I am fighting with the dealer to get a refund. At this juncture even a restocking fee sounds appealing.

By the way, I have yet to actually see one without the spots. I am very skeptical of those who claim that their PowerBooks do not have the spots. Give it some time.

The tech who worked on my machine said that it's just a matter of time before the spots appear. They are caused by the foam supports behind the screen. Unless Apple redesigns the screens in some fundamental way, the spots will ineluctably keep appearing. And it does not sound like Apple has fundamentally redesigned the screen yet, based on all the fresh reports of white spots.

Best,
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Well, I have no real reason to lie. No spots. Yet. Trust me...you'll hear about it if I do.

• Reply 20 of 36
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Well, I have no real reason to lie. No spots. Yet. Trust me...you'll hear about it if I do.

I hope you don't get them.