Back from Ireland

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What a beautiful country. We were actually miles away from Dublin. My sister booked us at Kilkea Lodge, in Kildare County. Far away from the city and it was perfect for me. The place was as close one would get to being a farmer or horse breeder in Ireland. Marion Greene and her husband Godfry are equestrians. Very cool people. They had about 4 horses, (a HUGE black stallion) couple of dogs and cleo...the cat...

We visited a few towns; Athy, the nearest town, Carlowe, a very cool town...wouldn't mind staying there for a while. And Kilkenny, which has some interesting places...

Above is a good example of the colorfully painted homes running through the narrow streets in all Irish towns...and below a good example of a well-stocked pub...

Below is Kilkenny Castle, a huge sprawling place with gardens, fountains, shops, galleries and tours within the castle itself...

I went specifically for a wedding and the reception was held at Kilkea Castle, right down the street from where we stayed...

The wedding/reception was wonderful. The food was great and the people of Ireland were all very accomidating and helpful.

And those sunrises and sunsets...wow...I hope to go back soon...hopefully in Summer...it was cold.

All in all a great trip. I'm a better man for going (being of Irish decent).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Welcome back, Philly man. No Cheesesteaks in Ireland but I bet you didn't miss them much.

Sounds like an excellent trip. I am envious to say the least.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Glad to see you had such a good time. I must get back there myself, as long as i avoid Dublin. The people are really great, i remember one pub in Sligo watching an English Premiership Football match, everyone there had their own English team that they followed. It was a great night, much laughter and bonding.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    My friend went to endibourough(sp) last summer. He said it was one of the most amazing places. I have to go. I want to and have added to my list of places to see.

Great pics..

Kitty!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I should add that Kilkea Castle is also a hotel and golf course. I would believe a little pricey but probably worth it. Funny seeing golfers in wool caps and winter wear chipping and putting...

If you are thinking of staying out in the country I recommend getting a car/van...nothing big or wide. Many roads are narrow . You'll sometimes drive for miles until you run into a small town...then another ten/twenty until the next.

Marion and Godfrey were great people. Both born in Ireland but educated in London. They were definately "Swinging Sixties" in their day. Now they are content with her equestrian training, tending the lodge and traveling the world. I had one mishap, I had brought a suit for the wedding but forgot my pants! Marion overheard and recommended a suit of Godfrey's. A wool charcoal/pinstriped double breasted one with a vest no less. He and I were about the same build so it fit well. Had to get "braces" (suspenders) but it was warm and looked "smashing!" as Godfrey said.

And the Irish women...hmmm. Many types, from the working class to the prim and proper...and those accents. Yeah baby!

• Reply 5 of 7
    God I'm jealous, as I said before in the summer I lived next to 40 Irish girls, unfortunately they are gone now.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Endibourough(sp)

Edinburgh (pronounced ed - in - burra or try here to hear a local pronounce it).

If you're interested in music, comedy, or basically any other artistic endevour you may want to time your visit for the festival but be warned that the whole city is booked out well in advance.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Nice thread.

I took a very different tour of Ireland, a lonely and beautiful solo cycle trip along the west coast of Ireland when I was in my early 20s. Wild country. Some sun, some rain, lots of wind. Sometimes I would not see another person for hours - not even from a distance - on those roads. And some west-country villages had elements that did not seem to have changed for a half-century (I recall a hand-crank phone in a phonebooth) and other elements that did not seem to have changed for centuries. (I imagine that much of this has changed now, with Ireland's incredible growth over the past years, although I do wonder whether this growth has touched the remote areas I visited).

Eventually I cycled into Northern Ireland to stay with friends and then took the train back to Dublin to fly home.