Ramadan Mubarak

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following on the footsteps of Mr. George W. Bush (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...031024-10.html) I'd like to extend my best wishes of a healthy and happy month of Ramadan to all Muslims out there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Ramadan will be this year Oct 27th - Nove 25th. Happy Ramadan for those of us who celebrate it.

While I was in UK, I knew and worked with many people celebrating (can I use the word celebrate for ir?) it, and many Muslims enjoyed working night shifts that time. That was a lot easier for them, leaving the few (December..) light hours to be spent sleeping.

It was surprising to discover how the Ramadan celebrations and practises vary from culture to culture and country to country. If someone here celebrates it, it'd be interesting to know how and how it was when you were small, or how your parents liked it etc. (Note: I have the same curiosity for Halloween. I haven't so far seen it 'in real life', not untill now..)

• Reply 2 of 10
    Having been invited to a few Levantine Ramadhan nights, I cannot say I grasped much of the finer traditional minutiae but the food is excellent.

رمضان كريم
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

Having been invited to a few Levantine Ramadhan nights, I cannot say I grasped much of the finer traditional minutiae but the food is excellent.

رمضان كريم

wow the text actually appears in Arabic in Safari. Cool!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

wow the text actually appears in Arabic in Safari. Cool!

Camino too. Happy Ramadamadingdong.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Actually, I never manage(d?) to write in any non-western language (e.g. japanese) using safari, just in camino. Did you type that in Safari, Immanuel?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Actually, I never manage(d?) to write in any non-western language (e.g. japanese) using safari, just in camino. Did you type that in Safari, Immanuel?

I often use Camino, although this time I used Mozilla 1.5. Safari doesn't accept non-Latin text in forms, and otherwise displays them incorrectly in some instances.

I like Safari better aesthetically, but as long as this problem persists I cannot have it as my ?default browser?.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    It comes up as arabic in Opera 7 on a pc too.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    And also in IE on WinXP. No biggie.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Hey that is pretty cool; I saw the Arabic text last night on my Mac and now this morning on Windows XP with Mozilla it shows up too without asking to download those language packets.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It appears perfectly on the screen with my Safari web, browser, but is not displayed (just ?????) under IE 5 OS 8,6.

I will try this evening at home under IE os X version.

Update edit : do not work either on IE 5,3 for mac OS X.