Panther: Annoyances

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

This thread is for things that annoy you with Panther. Whether it's a new bug, performance issues vs. previous Mac OS X versions, etc.

I'll start:

I don't like how servers are handled in Panther. I can connect to my other Mac OS X Panther computer via Rendevous, and for some reason, I cannot disconnect from it, it seems. If the other computer gets shut off, the Finder hangs. Of course, I have only played with this new OS for a couple of days, but for non-technical people would be freaked out by the beach ball in the Finder. It turned my Ti867 really hot, both fans were buzzing hard to exhaust the heat, and I ended up doing a hard reboot and all was well.

I don't like how the System Preferences quit when you press the close window widget. I also dislike how System Preferences get pokey changing and selecting when other things are running in the background. They seem to reflect something going on in the background. I thought this wasn't supposed to be the case?

I'm really annoyed that I had to do a clean install to improve performance on my Quicksilver. Granted, I had never done a wipe and install since I received that computer in late January 2002, however, it runs really well now that I have done the clean install. It took me all day to get it close to the way I had it. I'm really worried about loosing files, and this just reinforces that I need to set up a backup program and schedule regular backups.

Lastly, the sidebar. I sometimes get confused with the sidebar and other applications, like iTunes. I guess I'm not used to it totally yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Small annoyance: when I use Expose to show all application windows, background apps don't gray out like they're supposed to. If I go All Windows then Applications Windows, the apps do gray out, confusingly! I still ally like Expose. (Please excuse bad spelling in last part, I can't see what I'm typing)
  • Reply 2 of 96
    I visited my local Apple store Friday night -- an hour wait outside (quite warm for October). Demoed "fast-user-switching" bogged down on newest eMac (128 MB RAM). Left store empty handed, except for two (2) sets of Panther dog tags!

Read two days worth of Panther experiences on MacInTouch. Sounds like our "computer-for-the-rest-of-us" has become the "computer-for-UNIX-geeks" among us. Wait 'till next year.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    lay off the crack, man.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Let me premise this by saying that I really, really like Panther and consider it far, far more of a plus than a minus. But a few little things do bug me.

I've already started a separate thread about Windows file server browsing not working.

Let's see what else I can think of...

* Icon views are too w-i-d-e. I'd like to be able to narrow the spacing of grids of Finder icons. A lot.

* I'm often getting a spinning rainbow cursor for 2-4 seconds when I click on iTunes after iTunes has been in the background.

* When Backup goes off unattended on it's scheduled 2:00 am back-up, I find a dialog waiting for me in the morning saying that I need to sign up for .Mac to back up to my iDisk. However, I already have a valid iDisk and .Mac account, and if I manually do my iDisk back up, there's no problem at all. (I'm now running Backup 2.0 beta because I was told the old Backup didn't work with Panther at all.)
  • Reply 5 of 96
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Locomotive

I visited my local Apple store Friday night -- an hour wait outside (quite warm for October). Demoed "fast-user-switching" bogged down on newest eMac (128 MB RAM). Left store empty handed, except for two (2) sets of Panther dog tags!

Read two days worth of Panther experiences on MacInTouch. Sounds like our "computer-for-the-rest-of-us" has become the "computer-for-UNIX-geeks" among us. Wait 'till next year.

Why, do you think Panther is going to go away? They're only going to add more to it, it won't change.

There ain't nothing UNIX about it, Period. In fact it is along ways from BSD of the 70's and 80's.
  • Reply 6 of 96
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Small annoyance: when I use Expose to show all application windows, background apps don't gray out like they're supposed to. If I go All Windows then Applications Windows, the apps do gray out, confusingly! I still ally like Expose. (Please excuse bad spelling in last part, I can't see what I'm typing)

What do you mean?

"when I use Expose to show all application windows, background apps don't gray out like they're supposed to." Why would they? If you are showing all application windows how can there even be any background apps visible at all, "grayed out" or not? You won't see anything except the darkened Finder backgound and all windows reduced and of equal brightness.

Besides it's not graying anything out, it's applying 80% or so translucent black over the colors.
  • Reply 7 of 96
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'm often getting a spinning rainbow cursor for 2-4 seconds when I click on iTunes after iTunes has been in the background.

iTunes started doing this after the 4.1 update in Jaguar. It's extremely annoying.

Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't like how servers are handled in Panther. I can connect to my other Mac OS X Panther computer via Rendevous, and for some reason, I cannot disconnect from it, it seems. If the other computer gets shut off, the Finder hangs.

I have no trouble using Rendevous to connect to servers, but I was unable to disconnect from the network properly when I used the Network icon (as opposed to Connect to Server). When I finally physically disconnected the two, I got the neverending beachball of doom. I thought Panther was supposed to implement OS 9-style graceful server disconnect? Anyway, this was somewhat annoying too.

Overall though, I must say that I'm pleased. It seems like a fairly reliable update and the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

* Icon views are too w-i-d-e. I'd like to be able to narrow the spacing of grids of Finder icons. A lot.

I second that. I wonder what caused them to extend the spacing...

A few other things:

-- The updater deleted /Users/Shared with no warning at all. Ergh!

-- Printing web pages with frames from Safari doesn't work right: it prints a screen shot of the window (including the scroll bar) instead of the full contents of the frame on the page.

-- In text entry boxes in Safari the cursor sometimes gets a space ahead of the text entry point (like right now).

-- When using spring loaded folders to do drag-and-drop, the second level folder of the drag always seem to revert to Brushed Metal, even if it is normally standard Aqua (i.e. no tool- or side-bar).
  • Reply 9 of 96
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Ugh. I'm having lots of bugs.

Apps crashing without notice, doing the Houdini and then giving the 'Send bug report?' message.. OpenGL playing up a lot. I even did a clean install after zeroing the HD, hehe, now things are still going wrong, just really fast..

Can't complain much though, I love all the new features, and it really is faster..

Jimzip
  • Reply 10 of 96
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    okay I did an Archive and install over 10.2.8 which I installed back in the beginning of the summer when I got My PowerBook Ti 1Ghz. I had a few problems. Firewall was screwed up but I flushed it and now it works. My icons were all screwed up so I deleted the finder preference file and that fixed that. I don't have any other problems to speak of. If I search the whole hardrive I get a little hang using the live searching. I have over 40GBs though so that is a lot to seach through using a 4200rpm laptop drive. Mail froze up on me while using the DVD player... mmm thats about it. I feel like the OS is more stable and all. Most of the little problems I had I have fixed. Now all that pisses me off is the hang while searching the whole drive. Maybe I'll get a 7200rpm drive to fix that. You think that would make it better? Things are much faster than in Jaguar. Apps open about 20% faster and the system is at leat 30% more responsive over all. Apps use less CPU as well. itunes now only uses about 4% of the CPU while playing music it used to use 11% or more. I am very happy by the time we are at 10.3.1 we should have a near perfect OS. I doubt apple will need to have as many point releases this time around. Mayby up to 1.3.5 or somthing but not any higher. Jaguar had a lot more bugs in it at 10.2.0 than panther does. Very happy. I feel Like i bought a new comp
  • Reply 11 of 96
    here are my annoyances:

tibook 500, was running 10.2.8, did an update-install and everything runs fine except the finder: when i have lots of files on the desktop and i want to move them (more than 1) to somwhere else, the finder dispappears. it seems like it's crashing and restarting every time!!

very strange.

anyone else noticed this? maybe a clean-install will help or maybe deleting the finder-prefs?

ah and something funny's going on here too: with PHTiTunes-notifier running, i cannot quit iTunes anymore: apple-Q for quitting and after two seconds iTunes relaunches by itself ...

but I'm still in love with panther! great update.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Locomotiv has hit the nail on the head.
  • Reply 13 of 96
    Ya'll have to remember that this is 10.3, not 10.3.5 or something like that. It is in many ways a new OS. There are going to be bugs, there are going to be little annoyances. There were some with Jaguar. There were tons with the original OS X. I know this doesn't make any of this better, but we will soon see improvement. Give Apple feedback, let them know what you want changed and they will listen. We're gonna see 10.3.1 soon enough, that should solve many problems. Like I said, tell Apple, if they don't know what we like and don't like, nothing will get fixed!
  • Reply 14 of 96
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

What do you mean?

"when I use Expose to show all application windows, background apps don't gray out like they're supposed to." Why would they? If you are showing all application windows how can there even be any background apps visible at all, "grayed out" or not? You won't see anything except the darkened Finder backgound and all windows reduced and of equal brightness.

Besides it's not graying anything out, it's applying 80% or so translucent black over the colors.

Oops, sorry, I meant all windows in the current application.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    Macintouch is still a hotbed of bitch-and-moaners. Oh, that's not a Panther annoyance....

What shetline said.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    The mouse speed/acceleration in OS X is still really horrible. It's just too unnatural. Of course, you can use 3rd party software to tweak the acceleration, but the built in acceleration is just plain bad and should be made better.. like it was in OS 9.

If you move the mouse slowly, the cursor will pretty much not move at all. Move the mouse quickly, and the cursor will jump across the screen too fast. This makes gaming and any graphics-intensive work impossible to do well. I wish they would just turn the acceleration OFF by default and gives more true, natural-feeling cursor movement.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I miss the option of putting the clock in the dock.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

and any graphics-intensive work impossible to do well.

wtf!
  • Reply 19 of 96
    wait is 7b85 the final version?

Mines on its way in the mail... but I got ahold of 7b85 from a techie I know in town that got it, and tried it but he said it wasn't the final. Anyways... can't wait to get mine.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

wait is 7b85 the final version?

Mines on its way in the mail... but I got ahold of 7b85 from a techie I know in town that got it, and tried it but he said it wasn't the final. Anyways... can't wait to get mine.

Look on the bright side: that's one more sale for Apple, contributing to their sales figures, and you get the nice shiny box and the nice shiny new CDs. All yours, all for you. Mmmmmm... shiny new CDs...