in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey

Scenario:

I charge the ipod till it says charged

I disconnect it from the charger

I reconnect it to the charger right after

It keeps on charging for like half an hour or something

Question:

Why does it keep on charging and it doesn't acknowledge that it's already full? Is there any danger of overcharging or damaging the battery?

I want experts to answer this question please. No guesses from newbies.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    arnearne Posts: 29member
    there are no experts.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Overcharging isn't much of a risk since chargers actually throttle after the battery hits around 80%. This enable fast charging for most of the life but then a lower risk of any overcharging.

Why does it keep charging after you unplug it? I'd say it has more to do with the poor battery readings. I just did it to mine and the second I unplugged it the life dropped to about two thirds.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Same thing happens with my 3rd gen 10Gig iPod, I completely charged the battery, then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it went into charging mode again.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ****ing battery icon always lies to me. NUMBER ONE THING I HATE ABOUT iPOD.

This music quiz game is fantastic, though.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Just an addendum. It does seem that when mounted the iPod doesn't fully charge. Always after unmounting if I remove it from charging it won't be full and if I don't remove it it will just start charging again. Whether that's a fault with the new iPod software, the indicator isn't accurate or it just loses a lot of charge in the unmounting I have no idea.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    for me its started doing this since 2.1 update...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Since upgrading to iPod software version 2.1 my iPod indicates about 70% charge after removing it from charger (where it had indicated fully charged). As I use it the battery indicator gradually increases to display full charge (probably takes about 10 minutes or using it). No big deal really.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Since upgrading to iPod software version 2.1 my iPod indicates about 70% charge after removing it from charger (where it had indicated fully charged). As I use it the battery indicator gradually increases to display full charge (probably takes about 10 minutes or using it). No big deal really.

That's what I get. Annoying but petty.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    You will need a new alternator. It should be the nominal charging voltage, and the regulator within it has packed in. Nowadays these are enclosed in the alternator itself - it used to be possible to change them on Lucas units, but these look fairly well sealed.

To save destroying your battery while you get a new alt., give the battery a bit of a heavy load (i.e HRW) when in use to soak up some excess current.