Microsoft do brushed metal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

The FUD is that days after Apple launch 10.3 with the new brushed metal Finder interface, screenshots of a "leaked" build of Longhorn mysteriously find their way onto the web.

Or perhaps I'm being a little cynical?

How about paranoid or stupid. The Longhorn build is going to be released to public in a couple of days. Its MS PDC time silly.

If anything Apple seems to have timed the release of Panther to steal a little of MS's thunder on Longhorn.

BTW the screen shots are NOT the Aero interface. No one outside of MS will be seeing that for months or years.

Quote:

ut again, they have plenty of time to fix things up and this is after all a leaked pre-release version, not even meant for public consumption. I wouldn't get too worked up one way or the other.

It is meant for public consumption. It will be released to developers and anyone else who ponys up $$. It is also barely an alpha build.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

How about paranoid or stupid. The Longhorn build is going to be released to public in a couple of days. Its MS PDC time silly.

If anything Apple seems to have timed the release of Panther to steal a little of MS's thunder on Longhorn.

BTW the screen shots are NOT the Aero interface. No one outside of MS will be seeing that for months or years.

It is meant for public consumption. It will be released to developers and anyone else who ponys up $$. It is also barely an alpha build.

Paranoid/stupid? A little harsh I feel. You say these screenshots are not of the "Aero" interface. Then why change the colours from XP?

As for FUD, well it may spread a little FUD into the minds of possible switchers. "Don't switch now, Mr PC user, see we can do fancy metal interfaces too. Stay with us, there's no need to look elsewhere."
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by lix

Paranoid/stupid? A little harsh I feel. You say these screenshots are not of the "Aero" interface. Then why change the colours from XP?

Did you see the builds of XP before Luna was officially unveiled? It looked quite different from 2000/ME; yet, it was also far from Luna. The UI is a moving target and should not be expected to be close to the final product until much later in development.

Quote:

"Don't switch now, Mr PC user, see we can do fancy metal interfaces too. Stay with us, there's no need to look elsewhere."

My PC-using roommate and I agree. This looks nothing like brushed metal. It is simply a dark grey gradient. I really think people are overreacting on this part.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    That's still not really FUD.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    Well the first thing I thought when I saw the images was "looks like they've been inspired by brushed metal"

I posted it here because I thought others might think along the same lines and may also have an opinion surrounding the coincidence that these screenshots appear over the Panther launch weekend.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Okay, it's a "dark gray gradient"...

My point still stands that you KNOW it wouldn't have even been that if they actually hadn't looked at where Apple was doing stuff.

Again, is not odd that that suddenly adopt that look when that brushed aluminum (a gradient, basically, with the little marks on it).

I still think it would be funny to see Apple lead a completely off the wall "preview" of 10.4 (some goofy UI design/element) and just see how long (days, week or months) it found its way to the other side.

Apple goes round, plastic-y and shadow-y. Windows does.

Apple goes more sedate, metallic, understated. Windows does.

Apple makes their interface look like styrofoam and barbed wire. Does anyone have to guess what Microsoft does?

I'd love to go back in a time machine and configure a world without Apple (or at least Apple of the past 4 years of so) and just SEE what Windows was looking like.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    What is an original piece of art or design? Like I said before, the saying goes, "Good artists copy, great artists steal." It doesn't mean what you think it means. I don't think calling their people designers is a stretch at all. They're being inspired by a source, and making it their own. We're all inspired by something. Just because you found the source of the inspiration does not necessarily compromise the work of that person.

I really want to know what the point of threads like this are. I mean, yes, I can see how they were inspired by brushed metal. But it looks nothing like brushed metal. This gets pointed out every time. What is the goal of these threads? To have a great big group circle jerk around the Apple logo, and after that we'll spit and piss on a copy of Windows XP because we feel so special about using the source of inspiration for a lot of Microsoft designs?

Really, these threads are about as original as the Microsoft design elements you guys highlight in them.

Speaking of circle jerks, I'ma go down to the CCB and get my $75 for jerking off today...
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

My point still stands that you KNOW it wouldn't have even been that if they actually hadn't looked at where Apple was doing stuff.

So what's Apple's excuse for Aqua and Metal? You think that graphic designers wanking in tiny cubicles is a step up in UI design? Three major releases of OS X and the only interesting UI innovations are Expose and portions of the Dock.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Pscates is defintely on the the mark, I mean even windows 95 and 98, they were around in the time of OS 9, what did those two OS's have in common? they were drab and gray!*

Aqua comes around in OS X

what is the windows response? blue

Brushed metal comes around in panther

windows response? Gray

coincidence? I doubt it

\

*I didn't really both with ME or 2000, don't know what they look like, but I don't think they were much different...could be wrong though I don't remember
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Pscates is defintely on the the mark, I mean even windows 95 and 98, they were around in the time of OS 9, what did those two OS's have in common? they were drab and gray!

It wouldn't be so bad if some people could respond with facts rather than ass-speak.

Default themes for Win95 to Win2k have been a dark blue. XP was a fairly obvious cop to Aqua, though thats like deciding to cut off your arm because your neighbor did.

The screen shots in question (someone's fantasy metal rip-off) don't mean sh*t, because its a beard--cover for Aero, which may leak in fuzzy digital pics after todays demo. But if you want to continue the fantasy that MS ripped off Panther for a Longhorn build that is pre-alpha, isn't even the final UI, and is a good two years away from release, then party on.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

correction: "Aero" is unveiled today at PDC (http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/):

So when do you people reckon we'll start seeing screenshots of the real Aero interface?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Here's another site to poke around

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rn_4051_01.asp

I hate Microsoft.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

So when do you people reckon we'll start seeing screenshots of the real Aero interface?

Info here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/d...ic_storage.asp
  • Reply 35 of 44
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Guys that's not the REAL Aero interface. We probably won't see screenshots of this for quite a while.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

And THEN, they'd trot out some ridiculously lame comment on how they just stumbled up the idea of equating a "computer with nature...that the computer is the modern equivalent of a life-giving tree..." and other astounding nuggets of horsecrap.

Damn right pscates you are on a roll this week!

Reminds me of this that I saw while back, just picture 10.4 instead of OS 8:

Crap I can't find the picture, but it's bill Gates holding the OS 8 box and going "Excellent! Now we can start work on Windows 98!"
  • Reply 37 of 44
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Here's another site to poke around

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rn_4051_01.asp

I hate Microsoft.

Interesting screens. They seem to reveal much more. Nope, it ain't brushed metal...more like slate......

Honestly? From these screens...it doesn't look bad at all. And I see nothing similar to Apple's OSX GUI wise.

I'm surprised. But it isn't making me save up and scamper out to buy a PC anytime soon...
  • Reply 38 of 44
    How about just a square (or rectangle ) window of one solid pastel colors, with curved (AND SMOOTHED, THIS TIME) edges, with solid, one-color pastel buttons and widgets. I little like:

( http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/...veforlater.gif )

I submit the iPod ads as well for color inspiration. It would be a neat experiment to see how the whole thing would come together.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    I can't believe all this dialogue about a GUI to an OS that's still in the alpha stages. Windows 6 (Longhorn) is not due out until early 2006 - it's got plenty of time to grow. Microsoft usually finishes (or reveals) the true GUI closer to the final stages, not now (this was true for XP and Office 03, both looked nothing like the finished product even during their early betas).

Seems to me like ANY design enhancement or change that MS makes (that doesn't look like classic '95) is pegged as 'another' Apple rip off. As far as Aero goes, MS has been talking about that way before I ever heard of Expose. Personally, I like when companies copy each other, we (the users, consumers) only benefit from it in the end by getting best of both worlds. There are many things I wish each Apple and MS would copy from one another!
  • Reply 40 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    To clear up some confusion regarding the nomenclature:

Aero : Microsoft as Aqua : Apple

It is not Expose, it is not Quartz or Quartz Extreme. MS does have the quivalent Quartz technology for Longhorn too, but it's not called "Aero" AFAIK.