Smart Folders (metadata)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, we did not get in Panther, but Apple is obviously getting the idea people would like Metadata based (or id3, or whatever) folders in Xcode.. Maybe Apple will start doing it in iPhoto , and hopefully extend it to the Finder in the future.....

but it would be great, wouldn't it be?

Like, a folder called Recent Pictures

And another called School Papers which has all the files that you have saved under the School category and are of .doc, .txt, .rtf or some other types of files....

COME ON, it would be grand!@ grand!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Are you talking about the mythical database filesystem that ppl talk about here every so often? I would pay $130 for that feature alone.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Are you talking about the mythical database filesystem that ppl talk about here every so often? I would pay $130 for that feature alone.

well, metadata doesn't necessarily have to be implemented as a database, but i think thats what he's talking about. i was thinking the other day that this metadata could be thrown in the .ds_store files, and maybe indexed into a super ds_store file, and the smart folders could query the super file. i dont think a whole new fs would be good though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, metadata doesn't necessarily have to be implemented as a database, but i think thats what he's talking about. i was thinking the other day that this metadata could be thrown in the .ds_store files, and maybe indexed into a super ds_store file, and the smart folders could query the super file. i dont think a whole new fs would be good though.

A whole new filesystem would have pros and cons, just like any other change. Personally I think it'd be worth it, but if I can start adding metadata to files using HFS+, that's fine too. It's not even funny how useful this feature would be to me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Pure speculation on my part, but it seems clear that this is the direction Apple is heading.

I would not be the least bit suprised to find the following new developments:

"Smart Folders" in Finder

"Smart Albums" in iPhoto

"Smart Groups" in Address Book

etc.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

So, we did not get in Panther, but Apple is obviously getting the idea people would like Metadata based (or id3, or whatever) folders in Xcode.. Maybe Apple will start doing it in iPhoto , and hopefully extend it to the Finder in the future.....

I haven't received my developer mailing; hence, I don't have Panther yet. That being said, it would appear to me (someone who hasn't even touched Panther) that you can do smart folders now with Applescripts attached to the folders. I'm not sure which actions Folders can have attached, but, if you have an action of opening a folder, an Applescript could list the files you are interested in.

So, maybe you can have a folder called 'Latest JPEGs' that lists jpeg files on the drive created in the last 30 days. An applescript would cull this data together when you open the folder.

CAVEAT: I don't know if you can attach an Applescript to the 'open folder' action.

What you can do now, and there are examples at:

Image Events

is create a folder, say, 'Web Images' and any image you drop in there will get converted to say PNG and scaled to an appropriate size. Pretty sweet!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

I haven't received my developer mailing; hence, I don't have Panther yet. That being said, it would appear to me (someone who hasn't even touched Panther) that you can do smart folders now with Applescripts attached to the folders. I'm not sure which actions Folders can have attached, but, if you have an action of opening a folder, an Applescript could list the files you are interested in.

So, maybe you can have a folder called 'Latest JPEGs' that lists jpeg files on the drive created in the last 30 days. An applescript would cull this data together when you open the folder.

CAVEAT: I don't know if you can attach an Applescript to the 'open folder' action.

What you can do now, and there are examples at:

Image Events

is create a folder, say, 'Web Images' and any image you drop in there will get converted to say PNG and scaled to an appropriate size. Pretty sweet!

No, what I want is the ability to search for all Nuendo projects within a certain folder that haven't had their MIDI data transfered to audio data yet. Or search for all the projects that still need to have guitars tracked. If we could attach arbitrary metadata to the files this would be as easy as "cmd-f", but instead we have to maintain a database (on a separate computer because we can't afford to buy Filemaker), which we then print out once a week or so so we can have a list of what needs to be done in front of us.