emacs is good. anything better?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
First year Comp Sci student looking for single c++ coding software.

must have nice text formating features. files must play nicely with emacs. Will consider shareware, but prefer free stuff.

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

must have nice text formating features. files must play nicely with emacs. Will consider shareware, but prefer free stuff.

flick.

Try SubEthaEdit, unless you're looking for a terminal app in which case never mind...

Socrates
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

flick.

You probably could find a copy of the now-discontinued BBEdit Lite somewhere. It was a free application. Maybe it's on one of those free CDs that come with magazines. I don't think it's been more than six months since it was last available.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

You probably could find a copy of the now-discontinued BBEdit Lite somewhere. It was a free application. Maybe it's on one of those free CDs that come with magazines. I don't think it's been more than six months since it was last available.

SubEthaEdit has syntax colouring for C++, so I think it is probably more useful than BBEdit Lite, which had such features disabled if I remember correctly.

Socrates
  • Reply 4 of 6
    XEmacs works ok. I'm not a huge fan, but it's the only way you'll be sure everything will work as it should.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    SubEthaEdit is very nice. It offers syntax coloring for over a dozen languages including C and C++. You can set it to either use the tab character or to use a set number of spaces each time you press the tab key, set it to indent new lines to match the previous line, set it to highlight matching brackets as you type or when you select them, and coolest of all is its Rendezvous feature that allows group programming (though, you may never use this). It's a very lightweight app and very fast.

Alternatively, you could use Apple's own Xcode.

Both are free.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I played with Sub ethers,d,s,,, last night I think its the winner. Thanks for the reviews and the quick responses. You all deserve a treat. good boy. sit!

flick.