CD sizes?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know how much space people need to have to install Panther over Jaguar. Also, does anyone know the sizes of each of the three cd's for Panther?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    It will tell you when you go to install Panther how much space you need. It will depend on what type of install you want to do. Clean, Archive, or Update. I would say more than 4 gigs is your best bet. If you don't have 4 gigs, get a new HD they are dirt cheap. I don't know the combined sizes of the 3 panther CDs but I would imagine that it would be somewhere in the area of 2 gigs (700MB x 3). I don't have the exact numbers though, but it will be less than 2 gigs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Normal sized cds.

clean install with no extra languages, drivers, developers tools etc: 2+ gigs. all languages add 300 mb more, drivers some more and so on.

why do you need the cd size, for burning them? the size of the OS installation should be the one interesting you.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

why do you need the cd size, for burning them? the size of the OS installation should be the one interesting you.

What Giaguara said, don't be burning these CDs for anything but a personal backup copy. DON'T STEAL SOFTWARE!!! I'm not accusing you of anything, I just don't want to see it happen.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

What Giaguara said, don't be burning these CDs for anything but a personal backup copy. DON'T STEAL SOFTWARE!!! I'm not accusing you of anything, I just don't want to see it happen.

He might want to know so he can set up a single image for a network install server. But if he knew how to do that... then why would he need to ask about their size?

Maybe he thinks they might be DVDs... or maybe he might want to put all three on one DVD... or maybe I am board, and have nothing better to do than ponder this perplexing enigma.

God help me...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I'm sick of everybody being so up in piracy. If he wants to do it then just answer the question about the CD size and leave him alone. So many people love apple and they price their software in a reasonable manner so I must assume that VERY few people steal it. Just give it a rest. It seems like every other thread somebody's flipping out about "oh no, he's pirating it!!!!! make him stop".

BEN
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by saabmp3

I'm sick of everybody being so up in piracy. If he wants to do it then just answer the question about the CD size and leave him alone.

Piracy isn't welcome at AppleInsider. Period.

We've banned members on account of them asking for pirated goods or for encouraging piracy.

Panther fits on 3 normal CDs. That's all the information anyone will be getting out of this thread because it is closed now.